Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Carl... I have seen it before occasionally with Bridgestones and also DZ03's but not with the A050 of which I've run a number of sets on both the '06 and the RA. All of my A050's have worn pretty evenly across the face.
Obviously John will investigate with Yokohama - I'll be interested to hear their feedback.
Your geometry settings and tyre pressures seem about right, but obviously the tyres are still pushing hard onto the outer shoulders.
Slow in, fast out?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Yes I am Carl. I cant imagine that 2-3psi would make that much difference and I am running them as mentoned before at recommended pressures.

Thanks for all comments so far.
Yeah this was my thinking but when you hear serious racers ( circuit / drag etc ) mention that a psi here or there will get them a second you'd have to think if it affects the times it will affect the wear of the tire also. But as you said the psi you are running is recommended so I'm very interested to see how it pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
I have been through quite a few 050's and never had this problem.

Pressures seem about right. We ran them a bit less in the wet but we were aiming for 30 hot.

Brendon
This was also my thinking, starting around 34 and going down to 30 / 31 when raining.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

phoenix at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master D View Post
Possible that the tyres are faulty?
I was told that it probably wouldnt be the tyre but could not pin point to anything else as the cause after a bit of interogation. Alot of searches on google come up with shocks or struts as the cause but as mentioned they are only 6,500ks old and are a good quality coilover. I too am interested to see what the outcome may be. At nearly $500 a tyre and running on a shoestring budget its not something I can afford to do after just 250ks on a tyre

Last edited by phoenix; 07-06-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Matty05 at standard level

Hey Carl

How old are your tyres how often are you getting them flipped on the rims and how many of the 250 Kim's are on the track and how many on road
The reason I ask is I run A050 as well and I haven't seen the symptoms you are reporting how deep are the scallops and how much tread left on the tyres?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty05 View Post
Hey Carl

How old are your tyres how often are you getting them flipped on the rims and how many of the 250 Kim's are on the track and how many on road
The reason I ask is I run A050 as well and I haven't seen the symptoms you are reporting how deep are the scallops and how much tread left on the tyres?
The tyres were brand new at the begining of the sprint season so not flipped at all up till now and the tyres which are not badly affected have good tread left on them. Funnily enough the tread on the bad tyre seems to have also worn alot more across the whole tread compared to the other tyres.

I run them to the track on the car which is about 21Ks each way and they have done 4 sprints of 4 runs each (one of these being with the MX5 Club last Monday which is when 1 tyre in particular got really bad) The scallops on the bad tyre are BAD, the other one has started to get worse and the remaining 2 I think are starting to show early signs. It appears to start and develop where the groove meets the edge of the tyre wall which is staggered around the tyre. You will know what I mean if you look at your tyres. Sorry I dont have pics I just took the worse 2 up to Johns asap and didnt think of taking any.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

For those interested in the outcome I went and saw John today. From my point of view its not good.

Firstly I am NOT having a go at John in anyway what so ever and I hope it doesnt come across that way. He has been helpfull and he is still awaiting feed back from Melbourne I think. Whatever difference that will make.

He told me it wasnt a tyre fault and that there was no point in sending the tyre back to Yokohama, its a race tyre and has no warranty anyway. Feed back from Sydney said they had not heard of this before on the 050.

He suggested that they should be flipped on the rim more often. Dont see what difference that would make and is something I am keen to know if other people do to theirs and if so how often they are doing it??

I asked how the guys at the track, which are alot quicker than me and I am sure put alot more stress on the tyres than I do, seem to have no problems. He couldnt really answer.

I am going to run the tyres for as long as I can and hope they last the rest of the Sprint Series. It is very frustrating not knowing what the cause of this is or was. I guess this puts an end to me using this tyre as i'm not paying $1800 for tyres that are possibly going to do this again after a few short runs. Apparently ToyoR888 and Bridgestone RE55s are more well know for this. How do you try and compete in short sprint events on these tyres anyway against an 050. You dont!

I will post some pics up of the bad tyre as soon as I get the chance now I have the tyre back
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Flat Four Father

I flipped mine just before the last event, but that was due to looking at the shoulders of the tyres and they were way fresher.

I'm pretty sure you'll be ok to last the series out, unless the pics are way worse than I am imagining!

Check out Martin Donnens thread about his Betty on here, the Hankooks he is using seem a great option if it is dry conditions, and they are a cheap option with success to back them up.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

How many runs/events had you done before the flip??

Under what heading will I find the Martin Donnens thread ??
Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Flat Four Father

Started the RAC series with them and that's all so 2 events?

Search Martin Donnen in the members list and search threads started by him and it's his Betty thread. Last couple of pages mention the tyres he's using.

I'm on my phone so it's a pain searching..
Old 07-06-2012, 07:58 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Matty05 at standard level

Carl the set of A050 i used last year i got flipped after every round of the sprint and they wore flat as a tack in fact i still have 2 left out of that set which i use for testing so as not to wear out my good set. the set i bought this year which have done 3 sprints and 1 speed dome event with the wrx club have been flipped once and rotated front to back once the reason i havent flipped them every time this year is due to two factors
1: if it is wet i dont bother which the speed dome was as tyre wear is minimal so front to back is good enough for the next time out and
2: just havent had the time to get over to WW to get it done
in saying that i will flip them before next event and suss it out from then i have a feeling the new car will hurt the tyres more than the old car did

Matt

Tags
a050, problem, tyre, yokohama