Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   XV or RAV (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/49623-xv-rav.html)

Jon911 18-06-2012 09:14 PM

XV or RAV

Hi Guys,

Looking at purchasing another vehicle of the bigger kind. Narrowed it down to the XV or a RAV 4. Looking for opinions on which one.

The car will really only see city driving with a few trips up north and down south, but nothing crazy.

Both will come out about the same price.

Which would you pick and why??

ImPreSiV 18-06-2012 09:17 PM

Rav, can't go past Toyota reliability. I'd get the V6 one though

Master D 18-06-2012 09:18 PM

I had a Rav as a work car for a little while.

didnt particularly like the way it drove to be honest.
it was quiet and comfy but just drove like a cheap shitter.

i havent driven a XV, but if it drives like a impreza, than it shall be quite ok.

dtrally 18-06-2012 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;687306]Rav, can't go past Toyota reliability. I'd get the V6 one though[/QUOTE]

Sure Toyota build reliable cars but the only thing that ever made Subaru unreliable was the now defunct Brant system. I wouldn't rate one over the other on reliability.

I havn't closely looked at either of them, I expect they would both be well engineered cars. The Subaru is a newer design, has a newer engine design and in my opinion a better designed AWD system. It's probably a slightly safer car as well. From the reports I've read on the V6 Rav it appears to have too much power for the dynamics of the car, could be touchy in the wrong hands?

GTB Liberty 18-06-2012 09:47 PM

We checked out the RAV - got the Tiguan instead. No XV around then.

RAV was over priced for spec levels and just didn't drive well.

grumpyrex 19-06-2012 06:13 AM

I haven't driven the new Rav, but we've had an XV for about 3 weeks now. Does everything it's supposed to. Nice to drive once you get used to the stop/start system, however I still find it a bit unerving when the engine cuts out while sitting at traffic lights. Some of the reviews state the cargo area is a bit small, but we don't have any issues with the size. Also a heap of room if you fold the seats down. Leg room is good front & back. One surprising thing is that despite the shape there are very minimal blind spots. We have the CVT so I haven't driven the manual.
ps Doug once I can prise it away from the missus I'll bring it down to show you.:)

nauli 19-06-2012 07:30 AM

Mazda CX5 turbo diesel...more space & power than XV, more compact & better drive than RAV.

Jon911 19-06-2012 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;687376]Mazda CX5 turbo diesel...more space & power than XV, more compact & better drive than RAV.[/QUOTE]

I do agree, but for the turbo diesel it jumps up so much in price.

Won't be driving it enough to justify the leap up!

huggy_b 19-06-2012 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=Jon911;687379]I do agree, but for the turbo diesel it jumps up so much in price.

Won't be driving it enough to justify the leap up![/QUOTE]

resale and fuel economy!

GTB Liberty 19-06-2012 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=Jon911;687379]I do agree, but for the turbo diesel it jumps up so much in price.

Won't be driving it enough to justify the leap up![/QUOTE]

We did the calculations with the Tiguan and at $1.50 a liter you had to cover 85,000Km before you saved the increased diesel engine cost.

Jon911 19-06-2012 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=huggy_b;687380]resale and fuel economy![/QUOTE]

won't be much resale value when the lady drives it into another roo :p

huggy_b 19-06-2012 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=Jon911;687386]won't be much resale value when the lady drives it into another roo :p[/QUOTE]

one off custom hood feature?

Soksta 19-06-2012 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=Jon911;687386]won't be much resale value when the lady drives it into another roo :p[/QUOTE]

Was waiting for that :(

Something that comes to mind with modern diesel engines is the diesel particulate filter.

Heard that if the engine/DPF doesn't get up to a correct temperature range that it can't do its job properly and can cause problems (CEL's, replacement).
Start/stop and short driving would be a problem for some people.

Any one with a better knowledge on this matter feel free to comment/correct me?

207 de 19-06-2012 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;687376]Mazda CX5 turbo diesel...more space & power than XV, more compact & better drive than RAV.[/QUOTE]

Have one. Got it late March. Love it. 420nm @1800rpm :) Havent done a whole heap of kms yet though, 2000 I think..

Sure its more expensive but plan to keep it for a few years, mrs had her rav4 for about 9.

wild_rx 19-06-2012 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=Soksta;687389]Was waiting for that :(

Something that comes to mind with modern diesel engines is the diesel particulate filter.

Heard that if the engine/DPF doesn't get up to a correct temperature range that it can't do its job properly and can cause problems (CEL's, replacement).
Start/stop and short driving would be a problem for some people.

Any one with a better knowledge on this matter feel free to comment/correct me?[/QUOTE]

This is correct, we had heaps of these problems whilst i was at mazda. People only drove short trips and the dpf clogs up with carbon etc and brings the engine light on. In severe cases the car runs like crap (loose power). To own a vehicle with a dpf it needs to get up to temperature and sit within a certain rev range for a period of time (go down the freeway).

So if will mainly see short city trips dont bother.

To answer the question in the first post i havent driven the new rav but the ones i have driven i have found to be noisey/uncomfortable and just a generally crap drive.

Im also assuming the xv is four cylinder as opposed to the v6 in the rav that you want. Something to consider if fuel economy is a priority.

apg39 19-06-2012 05:59 PM

Forester.

p1nKcL0cK 19-06-2012 06:31 PM

mate,

we were looking at the xv as well. the main downside was the boot space. went with the cx5 GT in the end.

nice car though the xv

urabus 19-06-2012 09:08 PM

The rav must surely be near the end of its current life cycle? I.e in a very short period it will be the old shape whereas the cx 5 and xv are brand new models.

I am a staunch toyota fan (look at my fleet) but i would buy the cx5 over the rav. Only issue is neither mazda or subaru play nicely with fleet discounts.

Brendon

Drewski 20-06-2012 02:57 AM

Bought my wife the Mitsubishi ASX aspire diesel. Been an awesome car to drive and cheap to run! Servicing was locked in for 5 years at $199 ad the 5/10 Mitsubishi warranty is always nice! Not to big to park etc, but big enough to get everything around!

danman 20-06-2012 06:33 PM

We bought a Turbo Diesel X Trail. Brilliant thing, could rate it high;y. uses bugger all fuel and has a 2T tow capacity as well.

BLUES 20-06-2012 08:44 PM

BOOM!!!!! [url=http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/audis-hot-shot-diesel-suv-20120616-20g8o.html]New high performance Audi SQ5 diesel SUV | new cars[/url]

Jon911 20-06-2012 09:08 PM

[QUOTE=BLUES;687923]BOOM!!!!! [url=http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/audis-hot-shot-diesel-suv-20120616-20g8o.html]New high performance Audi SQ5 diesel SUV | new cars[/url][/QUOTE]

want want want.

REXXXED 20-06-2012 09:12 PM

Fucking winning!

207 de 30-06-2012 06:45 PM

Awesome fred! We were looking at Q5's but didnt want to spend that much right now..

Next car maybe be the SQ5.

WhiteRX 01-07-2012 10:01 PM

Id go for a v6 Rav or a v6 outlander over the VW tiguan. Driven all 3 of them and worked on all 3 aswell.

i would stay away from 4 cylinders if you want any overtaking performance, they are just too bloody slow, but both are very good cars.

The VW's are a whole nother story, depending on what engine you get will determine performance, but with all of them, if you plan to keep the car long term you better have good access to money because the repair costs will be high

axle 01-07-2012 10:25 PM

New Rav is due in the next 6 month. They are rumoured to be dropping the v6 and adding a turbo diesel.
We have a 4 cylinder current model Rav and its been brilliant. Power in the manual is good but nothing compared to the 6 of course. Added bonus is there are places that retro fit third row of seats like our Rav has overseas.