Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Walbro Pumps (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/4976-walbro-pumps.html)

mr_psi 30-04-2006 07:15 PM

Walbro Pumps

hello i have got a MY98 wrx and i am wanting to pump the boost a bit, sooo can you tell me what walbro pump i am looking for which is gonna be a bolt in??

(please state the model number)

teejay 30-04-2006 07:42 PM

without starting a shitfight,

dont use a walbro. ok for what you pay, not ok when you need to pay for another motor.

scooby99 30-04-2006 07:50 PM

whats exactly wrong with walbro fuel pumps TJ? and what do u recomend then?

mr_psi 30-04-2006 07:55 PM

i rekon bosch's are the best too bro, but u have to change a load of other shit and i cant be bothered with that, i have already put enuf money in this rust buket as it iss

teejay 30-04-2006 07:57 PM

For the price of the Bosch series these days, you cant go wrong.

They are much like a China turbo/gate etc : Do what they do ok, but long term reliability and effeciency is highly doubted.

The one I used in my RB25 R31 , gave me much grief.

teejay 30-04-2006 08:01 PM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]i rekon bosch's are the best too bro, but u have to change a load of other shit and i cant be bothered with that, i have already put enuf money in this rust buket as it iss[/QUOTE]

I doubt a walbro is going to drop right in either? Ill stand corrected of course.

Whats a walbro worth these days , 170 bucks to around 200?

A 040 can be had for 260.

mr_psi 30-04-2006 08:08 PM

well i can get a walbro for 130

Andy 30-04-2006 08:19 PM

bosch, nothing less.

d_generate 30-04-2006 09:08 PM

Walbro 342 $164 delivered from eBay, genuine item & plugs straight in, comes with sock too. Could be 352, can't remember cos taxi plates I owned were 342 & it gets confusing. :(

mr_psi 30-04-2006 09:18 PM

sweet cheers for your help guys.... muchly appreciated

BALISTC 30-04-2006 11:46 PM

Seriously, I'm with TJ, Andy, and everyone else who mentioned Bosch pumps.

I've had first hand experience with a Walbro pump, and had nothing but trouble with it. I also know of a few other cases where trouble has arisen.

NEVER seen, or had any problems with Bosch pumps. Its worth paying the bit extra for.

A Walbro is a direct drop in, because its identical to the stock pump minus a Walbro symbol on the side.

A Bosch pump means you'll have to tweak the fuel pump assembly, but its hardly difficult!!

Just requires you to cut down the metal outlet tube, run a piece of hose from the sock to the pump inlet, and from the pump outlet to the outlet tube and secure the whole shebang with a hose clamp!

mr_psi 01-05-2006 08:55 AM

also another important question whilst i have all the Fuel Pump Guru's in da thread, do i need to get a tune after i get it installed?

i will think i need to because i will be stock ecu wid VF23, inlet, pump, fmic, ebc... all these on a stock computer my car is gonna blow i rekon

BALISTC 01-05-2006 09:02 AM

Well, you cant exactly "tune" a stock ECU, you really should have looked at doing ECU well before most of those other mods anyway...

Why dont you do the ECU and fuel pump at the same time??

d_generate 01-05-2006 09:31 AM

For fucks sake.....the guy is 19, not everyone can afford or wants to just pull 3 - 4 grand out their arse and put a computer in their car, and the second he suggests putting a Unichip or something similar in all he is going to get is ....No No it must be a Motec or Autronic ......& yeah fit the computer first because then each time you do a mod you only have to spend another $600 getting another tune up. If your car is running well with the mods you have now I can see no reason a fuel pump will make any difference.

mr_psi 01-05-2006 09:52 AM

yer well i have got a group buy with the power fc comes early next month just askin to see wether i should wait and do it at the same time

mr_psi 01-05-2006 09:54 AM

and as d-generate said i am putting all these mods together to do one humunganormous tune and thats it no more farting round wid bolt on mods, just the little stuff like pistons and gearboxs..... fun fun

BALISTC 01-05-2006 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=d_generate]For fucks sake.....the guy is 19, not everyone can afford or wants to just pull 3 - 4 grand out their arse and put a computer in their car, and the second he suggests putting a Unichip or something similar in all he is going to get is ....No No it must be a Motec or Autronic ......& yeah fit the computer first because then each time you do a mod you only have to spend another $600 getting another tune up. If your car is running well with the mods you have now I can see no reason a fuel pump will make any difference.[/QUOTE]

Well this 19 year old bloke has pulled money out of his arse for a VF23, inlet, pump, fmic, ebc, and not to mention the WRX in the first place.

If he wants to go ahead and modify his car without doing something as critical as some sort of engine management system, then he'll also have to pull money out of his arse to replace his engine when it goes bang.

The computer doesnt HAVE to be fitted first but its definitely important to do before massively changing the air flow of the engine IE turbo, FMIC. I guarantee that the money he spends on a computer and running a stock turbo, would make the car faster than it would with the turbo fitted, and NO computer.

No, he does not have to get a Motec. The majority of this forum DONT have Motecs, and you dont see me complaining? I had a Link before my Motec anyway, and I'll still advocate them as a decent ECU for the money.

Even a simple unichip to alter the fuelling and ignition would make a world of difference, and make the whole setup a helluva lot safer!!!

BALISTC 01-05-2006 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]yer well i have got a group buy with the power fc comes early next month just askin to see wether i should wait and do it at the same time[/QUOTE]

Good man.

Wait for the Power FC, do the pump at the same time, and get it all tuned :)

mr_psi 01-05-2006 10:10 AM

shweet then me car should go faster then the donkey it is now

BALISTC 01-05-2006 10:12 AM

Who is tuning your Power FC??

mr_psi 01-05-2006 10:14 AM

well i have been through this but i have come to the conclusion of ant scali

BALISTC 01-05-2006 10:19 AM

Yep, Ant would probably be one of your top choices when it comes to Power FC, and X-Speed now have a 4wd dyno, so good choice..

mr_psi 01-05-2006 10:27 AM

well thats it i dont care bout the price i am happy to pay whatever, but the car is only as good as the tune is!

teejay 01-05-2006 01:03 PM

Yeah definitely a good choice

Knows his power fc as well as anyone in WA

getting time for a tune is going to be a killer, last time i checked with the boys at xspeed , they where booked out until the end of the month....

JMAX 01-05-2006 01:26 PM

Bosch or Walbro, makes absolutely no difference. Just replace that useless OEM fuel pump if you're making any more power than standard.

You'll find with both the Bosch and Walbro, that problems arise from fake copy pumps. Buy a genuine Bosch or Walbro and you'll be fine.

mr_psi 01-05-2006 01:45 PM

we can all count on ANT. i booked on thursday last week and he booked out till 24th may so i got 25 which is 2 days before cruise so if me car dont blow up on the dyno should make it

yay

B4GT 01-05-2006 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=BLU WRX]
You'll find with both the Bosch and Walbro, that problems arise from fake copy pumps. Buy a genuine Bosch or Walbro and you'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

well said, hence the cheap price tags of some of the inferior copy products

mr_psi 04-05-2006 05:42 PM

hello need another question without opening a new thread.

i have invested in a BOSCH 040 but i dont know if this is gonna fit and if it compatible on my wrx [98wrx]

is this pump compatible for me car without spending a million on installation?

pmh 04-05-2006 06:01 PM

None of the bosch units are plug and play, so you will have to spend some $ on the fittings, etc

040 is external (?)

mr_psi 04-05-2006 06:08 PM

no the 044 is external this is the internal

pmh 04-05-2006 06:19 PM

Will cost you the fittings.

mr_psi 04-05-2006 06:25 PM

other then that should be sweet, u kno if the fittings are expensive are or not? like dearly expensive? otherwise should be goood!
cheers dude

pmh 04-05-2006 06:28 PM

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4146&highlight=bosch[/url]

not sure how much
budget around $50-80

mr_psi 04-05-2006 06:33 PM

ok thats fine i am happy with that, yer i have pm'd balistic for more info, but should be interesting watchin it being installed

BALISTC 04-05-2006 08:29 PM

040 is an internal pump with a pick-up screen on the bottom of the pump. Bosch 044 can be fitted internal or external.

I've personally never seen an 040 installed in a WRX before, because most people go with the 044, 910 or 984, which all have a barbed inlet (and the 044 has a threaded inlet for your own screw-in barb), and people normally adapt the stock fuel pump sock to fit on the end.

It can be adapted to be used with a WRX, but you'll have to cut the bottom of the fuel pump assembly off, and mount the pump about 1cm from the bottom of the tank.

Shinobiken 18-05-2006 03:22 AM

how often ppo get fuel starve problem with these pumps?

as in.. will you have fuel starve below half tank? quarter tank etc? cos i have a habit of not filling up the tank until the light comes on..

cheers

BALISTC 18-05-2006 07:19 AM

It'll have the same level of fuel starvation as a standard pump, if its installed correctly i.e. the pick up sock is at the same height as stock.

d_generate 18-05-2006 10:13 AM

I had really bad starvation with less than half a tank, when I put the walbro in I also put an old STI pick up on it cos the one supplied was 90 degree & useless but since then I haven't had a problem so .......sock? pump? but no probs now.

BALISTC 18-05-2006 10:46 AM

If anyone is interested in Bosch 044 pumps, I'm selling them at the moment for $300 with warranty