Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

jaygee at standard level
Default How Low is LOW?

Hey guys,

So i'm planning to lower my wrx 2001 but I am not sure how the system works realistically. In terms of documents I've read a couple things here and there and they say that as long as it is 100mm above the ground it's fine or a maximum height chance of 50mm. But as I give places a call they say that 50mm is illegal and the legal height change is 30mm (to lower).

Essentially, I am directing this towards those who know a lot about height modifications and the legal system or who have a lowered car and have experienced any form of hassle from the law. I've heard a lot of people just get away with it, I know my friend drives his car pretty low (can't really remember how low) he acts like he doesn't know a thing and get's away with it. I'd like to know more experiences and knowledge on this before I make the decision to modify my springs.

Also, I am speaking to those who own a low car (not necessarily wrx):

1. do you carry certificates? (if I do end up having to get one, do any of you's know someone who is qualified to inspect for a lower price? they want $90 bux just to see if it's compliant).
2. Have you ever been pulled over? (constantly/once)?
3. Where did you get yours done and how much? (I got a quote from wilkinsons for about $620 with low king springs, this gives only a 30mm height decrease =[ forgot to ask them about the super low's but according to pedders and wilkinsons that's illegal =/).

that's the kinda look i'm going for. (But mine will be slightly higher), also without the hideous roof racks.

Any advice/help/knowledge would be appreciated.

cheers

Last edited by jaygee; 15-10-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 15-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

general rule is if u can drive over a coke can roughly 150mm then its legal anything below that, youll basically be running the risk of getting canary's. In saying that it really depends on the cops you get on to whether theyll let you slide with the car being to low.

im pretty sure if you want that hella flush stance look you wont get away with it for all too long depending how often u get pulled over.

at the end of the day its upto to see if u wanna roll the dice every time you go driving
Old 15-10-2012, 06:35 PM

jaygee at standard level

Yeah that's a good point... the only reason why I would consider such modification is because I've seen so many cars (generally commos) that are low assssssss. I believe the lowest point of my car hits ~140mm. In my eyes... it's not that low but yeah according to shops it's illegal... question is. If it is illegal, why the heck would you sell it in the first place >_>, yes it's for car shows but how often do people do their cars up for car shows for stores to make profits on illegal modifications...
Old 15-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

Also depends how you drive, if your car stands out, if you are a dickhead etc.

I used to have my STI lowered with around a 1 finger gap all round withthe front lip being 9cm off the ground....got pulled over a couple of times but the policeman stood back and looked at it like "HHHNNNGGGG", then let me go.

But realistically, being that low is stupid, so i had it raised.
Old 15-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Seen the figure of 100mm from the lowest point of the car thrown around a few times.
Not too sure if this was lowest structural part of the car or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
it's not that low but yeah according to shops it's illegal...
I would be asking for references/sources/facts to back up their opinion.
As far as I know, ADR > their opinions.
Old 15-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru

Lowest point of the car must be no less than 100mm from the ground.
Kato likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saint_23 For This Useful Post:
GTB Liberty (15-10-2012)
Old 15-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Sir AntiLag

N1GHTH4WK92 at standard level

Get a 100mm long stick/bit of wood or metal (or coke can) and move it around under the car. If this does not fit (including under cannons/cats) then it is not legal. Making it 100mm or higher will not prevent you from getting a yellow as the cops will say "It looks too low". It will only help you pass pits.

I am currently poor spec so I don't have any engi certs for my coilovers although afaik the law has changed and now coilovers are illegal without a permit (before you could wind them up to legal height and soften the damper).
I got them from Evolution R for ~$1350. There was a 17cm gap in the wheel arches beforehand and now there is virtually none.

I have been pulled over a few times and given death stares by plenty of cops but have not been stickered yet. In fact, I got pulled over more when it was stock height, however that was probably due to the fact that I used to drive like I was in fast and the furious.
I'll upload a couple of pics if you want.
Old 15-10-2012, 06:41 PM

jaygee at standard level

mmm... not the type to hoon around that much. When I get it lowered I plan to cruise like a lowrider, only take it to high speeds when I really need to (which is quite rare). I usually go 10 above speed limit, but recently after taking off my spoiler (which I believe had psychological impacts that gave incentive to drive faster HAHA) i've been driving 10 slower or on the dot. I've given up going for the aggressive "come at me bro" kind of look, i'm heading towards a more low'n'slow kinda look.
Old 15-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Subaru Tech Division

DukeDrifter knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
Yeah that's a good point... the only reason why I would consider such modification is because I've seen so many cars (generally commos) that are low assssssss. I believe the lowest point of my car hits ~140mm. In my eyes... it's not that low but yeah according to shops it's illegal... question is. If it is illegal, why the heck would you sell it in the first place >_>, yes it's for car shows but how often do people do their cars up for car shows for stores to make profits on illegal modifications...
in the eyes of the government your car is perfect stock therefore it's illegal to modify. my front bar sits probably 90mm off the ground never had trouble yet but havent been pulled over, had integra type R which was 75mm off the ground and only got yellow stickered because i doing stupid speeds but they couldnt prove it so they so pinged me for what they good :P

if the car is nice and clean and not impractically low and u dont drive like a tool youll be right as rain, unless u get pulled over by a douche having a bad day :P
Old 15-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

100mm lowest point under car as said ^^.. for me it would be my exhaust around the rear diff area

Tags
low, lower, springs