Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Scoobie Noobie

TassieMY00 at standard level
Default Flat Battery after 3-4 days

For some reason my battery goes flat after 3-4 days if i dont drive it.
Checked all lights and such, so not sure whats going on.

This all started when i had an aftermarket immobiliser/alarm fitted (dynamco brand).

Do you reckon it was fitted incorrectly? and just drains power out somehow, more than normal?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Have battery checked as it may well be on its way out, go back to alarm fitter to see if there is an issue.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckle View Post
Have battery checked as it may well be on its way out, go back to alarm fitter to see if there is an issue.

My last battery was still in warrantee, so they gave me a replacement and this new one is doing the same thing, so it sorta rules out the battery itself.

I took the car back to the fitter which was Hobart Car Audio but they said it was fitted correctly and didnt want to relook at it without charging me.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM
STI Master

MY00GC8 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMY00 View Post
My last battery was still in warrantee, so they gave me a replacement and this new one is doing the same thing, so it sorta rules out the battery itself.

I took the car back to the fitter which was Hobart Car Audio but they said it was fitted correctly and didnt want to relook at it without charging me.
Doesn't rule out the battery at all, they can fail at any time...
Need to carry out a current draw test and see if there is any draw on the vehicle
Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsdh View Post
Get a voltage tester and put it over the battery to see if its drawing current whilst off. Try turning on other things like aircon or radio or interior lights whilst reading current to confirm its not something else that's been affected by the install.

If you don't have a voltage tester just pull off a terminal on the battery and put it back on slowly and look for small sparks = drawing current.

Had a similar issue with my last car, when aircon was turned to face only it flattened the battery in a similar time.
I tested with a voltage tester and yes it slowly goes down with everything turned off.

I took it to another place called Autocraft and they reckoned it was the stereo setup. I run a big sub and 2 huge amps so they did a setup with another battery in the boot and a RedArc between both batteries so the stereo runs off the boot battery and recharges itself when the car is going thru the redarc and main battery.

Still went flat after some days of sitting, so its pretty much not the stereo stuff either.

Regarding the air con, i pretty much only have it set to face, but surely once the car is off the ac turns off too?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

maybe you have a faulty Alternator
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Don't think that would cause the battery to flatten in a few days if the car is stationary/unused. But if driven and the battery goes flat, it would point to this.

Best to go to your local auto sparkie.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by munya View Post
maybe you have a faulty Alternator

Battery charges as it should when car is running at around 14volts
Its only when its turned off it you can see it being slowed drained
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Sir AntiLag

VUSSUTE at standard level

Do a resistance check between your positive terminal and the chasis with the car switched off. Sounds like you may have a partial earth.
Set your multimeter to the "Ohm" setting. Hold one terminal on positive and the other on a nice clean bare section of metal (Engine block would be good)
Reading should be over 100M ohm. If its significantly less than this you have a partial earth and the battery is slowly discharging to earth through the chassis. Also check all your headlights, tail lights and indicators, if they are flooded or have water in them that can also cause earths.

It may also be the battery. If its quite old you may need to get a specific gravity check. The electrolite might be shite.... Normally when lead acid batteries get old you have to do whats called a 'gassing charge' on them which involves overcharging the battery. Its easier just to get a new battery.

If the new battery goes flat in the same manner, its defiantly the problem that i stated earlier.

Not fast enough dammit!

Last edited by VUSSUTE; 01-04-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Sir AntiLag

VUSSUTE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMY00 View Post
I tested with a voltage tester and yes it slowly goes down with everything turned off.

I took it to another place called Autocraft and they reckoned it was the stereo setup. I run a big sub and 2 huge amps so they did a setup with another battery in the boot and a RedArc between both batteries so the stereo runs off the boot battery and recharges itself when the car is going thru the redarc and main battery.

Still went flat after some days of sitting, so its pretty much not the stereo stuff either.

Regarding the air con, i pretty much only have it set to face, but surely once the car is off the ac turns off too?

If you have a aftermarket stereo i can nearly promise you its a partial earth. Probably the power line to the deck, who ever fitted it may not have heat shrinked the terminations and its earthing onto the chassis.

Not fast enough dammit!

Tags
34, battery, days, flat