Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   GC8 six speed conversion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/54056-gc8-six-speed-conversion.html)

VUSSUTE 05-04-2013 07:15 PM

GC8 six speed conversion

Gday
Just a quick question regarding six speed conversions for GC8s.
I will be looking at doing this sometime in the future, as i will be keeping my car for some time (In love with GC8 V6 shape) and am worried about the strength of the 5 speed box if I choose to have the occasional squirt or motorplex run.
I have heard that the 6 speeds are alot stronger. I know there are plenty of pages on here (that I have read) but I havnt found any costs for doing it.
I want to start putting money away for it but have no idea how much $$$ i will need.
Do any places do a drive in/drive out 6 speed conversion, or, how much will i need roughly to buy the gearbox and required parts and fitment. I am not interested in DCCD

regards

GX-REX 05-04-2013 07:18 PM

Speak to Doug at S-Technic. What he doesn't know on this subject doesn't exist.

matto20v 05-04-2013 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=GX-REX;746730]Speak to Doug at S-Technic. What he doesn't know on this subject doesn't exist.[/QUOTE]

If you do speak to someone offline about it, can you post here what you find?

I would also like a drive-in/drive-out 6 speed gearbox solution without DCCD.

Bob 05-04-2013 08:07 PM

Budget 6-7k.

VUSSUTE 05-04-2013 08:20 PM

will do matt.
6 = 7k is that fitted including gearbox and parts.
Also are the 6 speeds really that much better than 5 speeds. Pretty much i just want to feel safe if i head to the drags/track once in a blue moon. I dont want to be scared of popping boxes. (i wont be chasing absolute quickest times anyway but still want the security)

MY00GC8 05-04-2013 08:23 PM

6 speeds are a lot stronger, but at the same time quite a bit heavier
You should be able to throw 6-700hp at a 6 speed without issue

pmh 05-04-2013 08:47 PM

[PDF][/PDF][QUOTE=VUSSUTE;746738]will do matt.
6 = 7k is that fitted including gearbox and parts.
Also are the 6 speeds really that much better than 5 speeds. Pretty much i just want to feel safe if i head to the drags/track once in a blue moon. I dont want to be scared of popping boxes. (i wont be chasing absolute quickest times anyway but still want the security)[/QUOTE]

They are getting cheaper but if you budget around 5k drive in drive out, with a trade in of your gearbox, you'll be ok

Obviously, if you decide to go r180 diff, then things start to get a little more

VUSSUTE 05-04-2013 10:00 PM

thanks for the info guys, well im never planning on 600HP, 350 is plenty. Just want the security.

Have sent email off to doug.

munya 05-04-2013 10:23 PM

I killed my 5 speed without even trying and that was with me babying it most of the time. I now have a 6speed and I will say I have not been gentle and it still ain't broken yet,

Sent from da iPhone

matto20v 05-04-2013 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=munya;746759]I killed my 5 speed without even trying and that was with me babying it most of the time. I now have a 6speed and I will say I have not been gentle and it still ain't broken yet,

Sent from da iPhone[/QUOTE]

How much did it cost, and where did you source the 6 speed from?