Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 09:45 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

mavx4 at standard level
Default Mod advice for a bug?

let me start this off with the following: I am a complete noob and I have never held a spanner in my life.

now, I am planning to mod my bugeye sti as I am chasing more speed and the ride isn't as smooth as I would like. Car currently has a APS CAI and a custom made TBE by Peter @ Carline on Newcastle.
I already know my first mod will be coilover as I find more comfort riding a jet ski in winter than driving my car on the freeway. I don't know what I should do next though. I have considered the following:

1. changing the APS CAI to a Apexi pod filter as I have no idea how old those K&N filters are and I don't have the tools to service it. so changing it to a dry filter might be a better idea?

2. exhaust. the previous owner had the cat gutted and I am considering putting a cat back in for insurance purposes (and to save dolphins). now, I am torn between just a high flow cat or a full TBE with varex. reason being my in laws and my folks will be coming here permanently soon and I would like to avoid looking too much like a hoon. any other suggestion?

3. EBC. thinking that if I go with varex, i might as well go with Blitz SBC ID Spec R so I can have two boost setting for open and close position for the varex. if not, then AVCR?

4. I know I need a tune as I am pretty sure I am running rich. should I do it after all the mods? or can I do one now and have it retune after? does a retune cost the same?

5. all other stuff on my car are OEM stuff. do you think I will have to upgrade my brakes or clutch to match the mods?

6. my car didnt come with a full service history and it is already at 156k. should i allocate some money for an engine rebuild or gear box rebuild? or should I get a compression test done first?

7. is it worth thinking about a EL header?

I know most of these questions don't really have a yes or no answer, but I would just like to know your opinion.
wanna get all my mods approved by you guys before i get them done

19.5psi tune 271.6HP@6000 351.3NM@4700

Last edited by mavx4; 28-06-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 29-06-2013, 05:49 AM
STI Master

ALLPAWS at standard level

Hey Mavx4,

Welcome to bug world, the 'black sheep' of the WRX family

For starters, good call in getting an STi over the cooking model. As much as I love my bug I am kicking myself now that I didn't find a good STi as having the 6speed box, extra power, brembo brakes etc. is def worth the premium.

I'm no expert, but I'll let u know what I have learned messing with cars and my mods done to my WRX.

1) Don't bother changing ur filter setup, it won't gain u any noticeable gains. Make sure the filter is clean, if not clean it if it serviceable or replace if necessary. If u don't know how to do it or don't have the tools I suggest u buy them as basic tools are very handy for small jobs - or bigger ones. If still stuck take a few pics of the setup and re-post.

2) Your exhaust probably has great flow but too loud yeah? I have a Japanese Sheepdog CBE which is quiet when driving normally but has good volume when giving it some. I wish mine was louder and a dump pipe and hi-flow cat are on my to-do list. Varex mufflers are good from what Iv'e heard but also u can get yellow stickered for one - others on this forum may be more helpful.

3) I'm not familiar with the differences between the two EBC's but I have a Blitz and it does the job fine.

4) I'm buying UEL headers, larger TMIC for my car then getting it dyno tuned, saves doing it twice. Mind u I will have to get it redone down the line when my car gets a vf34 turbo and fueling upgrades.

5) Keep ur current clutch until it is stuffed - won't take too long then go heavy duty, don't get a racing style clutch as I have done this on a RX-7 and it made it a nightmare for street driving and sold the car as I never used it. I would leave the Brembo's on, just use good quality brake fluid, braided lines and vented discs when time to replace comes. Even the Subaru brakes on my bug perform quite well on the track with this set up.

6) Is it difficult to change into any gear esp. when driving hard or crunching? If not its fine and the 6 speed box is known to be quite tough. If ur not sure of the history a compression test is a great idea, get ur mechanic to replace all fluids etc. Basically a major service would be a good idea - but at those kms the motor should still be strong enough for the mods u are suggesting.

7) U can get 10WKW from ELH, but u will lose the famous WRX rumble.

NEW Empire Performance - Subaru WRX Headers (GC & GD '97-'07) | Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission | Gumtree Australia Melville Area - Murdoch

Hope that helps somewhat, post some pics mate and yeah coilovers have been the best mod I have done to my car so far. I got STD ones fitted at Evolution R in Bentley.
Crotch Rockets . . .
Old 29-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

If you're unsure of the service history, I would get the 100,000 major service done; I think costs up to $1200... Reason being if your timing belt hasn't been replaced its long overdue. I think I read on here that one lasted about 180k before snapping and taking the engine with it
Old 29-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

I owned a bugeye Sti, great cars!!

If you are unsure of it's history, give it to a mechanic and tell them to give it a once over.
I did this when I first got mine. Replace all fluids, filters and any misc parts that may need looking at.
Tell them you have only got the car and would like to know the state it's in.

Upgrades. Power: a reflash will net healthy gains and make it more fun to drive.
Brakes are standard brembos, get better pads, fluid, rotors for improving those :-)
Old 29-06-2013, 09:23 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

mavx4 at standard level

thank you everyone for your input, they have been very helpful.

the reason I want to replace the filter is because they are in the fender and I have no idea how to take it out and clean it. I am sure it is serviceable as I think it is a K&N wet filter, but I dont have the tools or confidence in taking it out.

You think I should just replace the cat?

hrm, I am pretty sure the 100k service has been done as my mechanic told me the timing belt doesn't look worn. reason I am worried is i just don't know what the previous owners did. Also I have difficulties shifting into second gear from third and the car shudder alot at very low speed.

Old 29-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavx4 View Post
thank you everyone for your input, they have been very helpful.

the reason I want to replace the filter is because they are in the fender and I have no idea how to take it out and clean it. I am sure it is serviceable as I think it is a K&N wet filter, but I dont have the tools or confidence in taking it out.

You think I should just replace the cat?

hrm, I am pretty sure the 100k service has been done as my mechanic told me the timing belt doesn't look worn. reason I am worried is i just don't know what the previous owners did. Also I have difficulties shifting into second gear from third and the car shudder alot at very low speed.
You can remove the inner guard to give you access to the pod. Just have to remove the stupid plastic clips.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 29-06-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

mavx4 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [MPS 3] View Post
You can remove the inner guard to give you access to the pod. Just have to remove the stupid plastic clips.
any chance i can do that without removing the wheel?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavx4 View Post
any chance i can do that without removing the wheel?
IF the wheels was on full lock maybe, but its infinitely easier without it.

Tags
advice, bug, mod