Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Strange switch in car (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/55207-strange-switch-car.html)

Imprezive 10-07-2013 10:40 PM

Strange switch in car

There's a switch in the coin slot thing under the steering wheel which looks like its meant to be a kill switch or something. When i bought the car the previous owner wasn't sure what it was and said he never had to use it so i just left it and didn't touch it.
When the switch is flicked up and you turn the key into the ON position the fuel pump is constantly running, it doesn't just prime and switch off like it normally does with the switch flicked down. And if you turn the car off while the switch is up the engine will continue to run until you flick the switch down. Everything else in the car turns off like the radio and accessories but the engine stays on.
I can't think why the car would have a switch like this... i originally thought it might of been a turbo timer but the car never turned off after i left it for a few minutes so now i'm thinking it might be a killswitch which has been wired up wrong.
Has anyone got any ideas what this might be or what it might be for?

Thanks

Rossco 11-07-2013 12:59 AM

2nd fuel pump?

Tony 11-07-2013 06:14 AM

El cheapo turbo timer system, minus the timer?

Imprezive 11-07-2013 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=Rossco;761535]2nd fuel pump?[/QUOTE]

I thought it might of been this because if you flick it up whilst the car is on you can hear like another high pitch noise, but its very quiet so i might be imagining things. Whats the point of 2nd fuel pump if thats the case?

Imprezive 11-07-2013 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=Tony;761539]El cheapo turbo timer system, minus the timer?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised because the cars got some other dodgy mods haha

Fozzy_Mat 11-07-2013 10:12 AM

Thinking out loud, what happens when you hit rev limiter but fuel keeps pumping?

Also could it be a fan override switch?

Imprezive 11-07-2013 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=Fozzy_Mat;761568]Thinking out loud, what happens when you hit rev limiter but fuel keeps pumping?

Also could it be a fan override switch?[/QUOTE]

No idea but it probably wouldn't be good, would depend if ecu turns fuel pump or injectors off for fuel cut.

Dont think its a fan overide switch because the fans dont run, and i wouldnt think that what keep the engine running.

thehowlfactor 11-07-2013 10:44 AM

Maybe its for the NOS. :toothy5: Does the car have a shopping list on the doors and some sort of full length graphic on the sides?

Imprezive 11-07-2013 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=thehowlfactor;761577]Maybe its for the NOS. :toothy5: Does the car have a shopping list on the doors and some sort of full length graphic on the sides?[/QUOTE]

Complete with laptop on passenger seat "danger to manifold"

Wozzernux 11-07-2013 07:39 PM

Flux capacitor.