Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Big Chris at standard level
Default Bringing Home the Retirement Toy - across the Nullarbor.

Hi all,

As mentioned in my intro, I bought my son's 2004 WRX off him in January. Problem is he lives in Melbourne - problem? - not really, wife and I love the drive across the Nullarbor, and this was another opportunity to do it.

In April I flew to Melbourne, took the car out of the son's garage, and toured around Victoria for a couple of weeks before my wife had holidays and could fly over to join me. We had another couple of weeks there, then in early May, we headed off back to Perth. I knew the WRX was in good condition, had it serviced just prior to returning (it was on about 135000kms), and everything was good with the car. I was concerned about the engine accessory belts, as they are still original, but after seeing that they could be changed easily if necessary, I just purchased the belts and carried them in the boot. My other concern was the spare wheel, I didn't fancy heading off across the Nullarbor with a temporary spare (although it is pretty rare to get a puncture these days). Before I left Perth, I had contacted the popular Subaru wrecker in Moorabbin (Victoria), and he was very good to deal with - by the time I got there a few weeks later, he had a exact matching rim, style and colour, in good condition, cost me $100, well worth it. I fitted a brand new tyre, wrapped it in plastic, and put it upside down in the boot so I could load stuff inside it. With only 2 of us travelling home, the boot half full of spare wheel wasn't a problem, and good for the peace of mind. Put 38psi in all the tyres for the long trip. Had previously researched availability of 98 octane fuel and had written a list of all the supplies across the country, and was able to get pump 98 octane at least every 400kms, but had to stop at the right places.

During my tour of Victoria, I discovered what must be one of the best "WRX" roads in the country - even better than the Great Ocean Road, but not as long. It was climbing Mt Buffalo in North-Eastern Victoria, a 20 km fairly steep climb of 1200 metres, with endless tight corners (signs recommended 25 - 35 km/hr on most of them), 2nd and 3rd gear most of the way, with continuous gear-changing - beautiful - I began to appreciate what a WRX is on that road. One of the attached photos shows a view from the top, so you will appreciate the climb from the valleys below.
Also the Great Ocean Road, did it twice actually, once by myself and again when the wife came over. Very enjoyable road, as we all know.

Anyway, the trip home was probably the most relaxed crossing I have done, took it easy over 6 days, only driving between 8.00am and about 5.30pm, staying overnight in motels or cabins. Didn't even carry a thermos, just stopped at a cafe or roadhouse for a coffee or lunches, that also gave me a bit of a break from driving as my wife doesn't drive in the country. So we covered 500-700 kms per day, had no car problems, and we were both surprised at the comfortable seating and general ride quality of the WRX. There was a fair bit of tyre/road noise but got used to that. Compared to my usual Falcon, the WRX is geared a bit lower, and I saw 3200 rpm for 6 days straight! Although it was a very "cruisy" trip, sitting on or below the speed limit, I must say when it came to overtaking a road train, it is definitely the car for the job - the limit possibly got exceeded a little at those times!

For the record, on the Melb-Perth journey, we covered 3590 kms, using 315 litres of fuel, averaging 8.76 litres/100km (32 mpg), best was 8.4 l/100kms (34 mpg) between Eucla and Caiguna, so fairly consistent. Highest cost of fuel was Caiguna ($1.99), Eucla ($1.96), average $1.65 per litre, total cost $520, fuel was Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex 98.

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/WestA ... %20Country

Above is a link to my album on Photobucket - hope it works. Enjoy the photos of Victoria, the Nullarbor and the new toy.

Cheers, Chris.
(Copy of thread on WRX Club WA forum).
AWDmoke, Strubaru, RUSSGT and 18 others like this.

Last edited by Big Chris; 22-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Big Chris For This Useful Post:
Jeckle (20-07-2013), mARC (20-07-2013), Master D (20-07-2013), RUSSGT (22-07-2013), Tiigga (20-07-2013), V3 RA (20-07-2013)
Old 20-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level
Send a message via MSN to V3 RA

Great write up!

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 20-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

Sounds like a very nice driving experience, thanks for sharing.
Old 20-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

REXXXED knows their stuff

Awesome intro
Would love I drive those roads with my car!
Is the car bone stock?
Old 20-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Big Chris at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXXXED View Post
Awesome intro
Would love I drive those roads with my car!
Is the car bone stock?
Sure is, even the towbar is genuine Subaru!
My aim is to keep it dead stock and maybe in a few years I'll have the only stock WRX around!!!?

Cheers.
Old 20-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

laserwrx at standard level

Dam, I have done the drive a couple of times in my 2011 wrx and the best I got out of it was about 11.6km/100.
In saying that , I wasn't exactly driving conservatively.
Old 20-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Great intro and pics, welcome aboard.
Old 20-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Simon at standard level

What a great journey, looks like a alot of fun!

Forester GT
Old 20-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Welcome, nice write up and pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
My aim is to keep it dead stock.
We'll hold you to that
Old 21-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Sir AntiLag

STIMUL8IN at standard level
Send a message via Skype™ to STIMUL8IN

That's awesome! What a trip! Love it
[CENTER]My other passion - facebook.com/[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]JamieWebsterPhotography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Tags
bringing, home, nullarbor, retirement, toy