Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Grimmspeed Up pipe (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/55483-grimmspeed-up-pipe.html)

RJ999 06-08-2013 03:40 PM

Grimmspeed Up pipe

Hi guys...

I'm just wondering if anyone here is using the Grimmspeed Up pipe on their Wrx or STis?

I was going to buy one to put on my Subaru when I get my invidia exhaust done, but have been reading mixed reviews from the american sites about changing up pipes etc.

Apparently the Invidia up pipe cracks after a while, but the Grimmspeed one is meant to be really good (Ceramic coated and all).
Would like to know if anyone is using one and if it's holding up well and also if it makes a big difference to put an aftermarket up pipe?
I know the STis have a catless OEM up pipe anyway whereas the Wrxs have a cat in there (would make a huge difference on a wrx)...but the grimmspeed up pipe is meant to have better flow that the STI one even and add ~20Hp :laughing7

Any comments?

American Dave 06-08-2013 03:50 PM

dont bother as you will gain nothing out of doing it and you might get a leak, but if you were to change out to equal length headers you might pick up a few HP

RJ999 06-08-2013 04:19 PM

Thanks Dave...that is what the tuning shop told me too, but then on the websites they all say "easiest horsepower gains" which was tempting. Done I wil stay away then as the STI Up Pipe is good enough ;-)

Thought about equal length headers but then my mate told me that I would lose my Subaru rumble (dak dak noise) so decided not to for now...I wonder is that is true.

American Dave 06-08-2013 04:21 PM

yes you will lose the dak dak if you go equal length headers
best bang for buck on a pig sti is just a good flash tune imo

RJ999 06-08-2013 04:45 PM

Ok then....might just stick to my TBE + Deatchwerks fuel pump + verso for now...then much later on look at some upgraded unequal length header plus up pipe.

Thanks Dave...I've seen some horror stories on iwsti about up pipes cracking and was really weary about it...now I know its not worth the trouble.

aiball 07-08-2013 12:23 PM

You're also meant to do porting along with the new up-pipe otherwise it's not worth the money/effort with just uppipe only

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tony 07-08-2013 01:15 PM

I recon go a 3-port boost control solenoid. They are only 100buks but will improve the car so much when it is tuned.

RJ999 07-08-2013 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=aiball;764880]You're also meant to do porting along with the new up-pipe otherwise it's not worth the money/effort with just uppipe only

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta[/QUOTE]

ok...but the Grimmspeed one is the only up pipe that comes already ported...Grimmspeed started out as a porting company... that's why I think its said to be the best on the international forums(iwsti/naisoc)...along with the Perrin one, but thats not ported..

Did you mean porting the up pipe only or the whole thing like headers etc?

RJ999 07-08-2013 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=Tony;764889]I recon go a 3-port boost control solenoid. They are only 100buks but will improve the car so much when it is tuned.[/QUOTE]

3 port boost control solenoid...been seeing mixed reviews on the forum about these.

Some say that the STi automatic control of the boost is good enough? Whats the point of controlling it? don't you just want max boost all the time - which is what the oem control does.
I have no idea what it would do adding this manual control in - going by what I've seen in other threads

aiball 07-08-2013 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=RJ999;764893]ok...but the Grimmspeed one is the only up pipe that comes already ported...Grimmspeed started out as a porting company... that's why I think its said to be the best on the international forums(iwsti/naisoc)...along with the Perrin one, but thats not ported..

Did you mean porting the up pipe only or the whole thing like headers etc?[/QUOTE]

yeah i mean header porting as well