Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Storage or sell? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/55636-storage-sell.html)

Zombee 21-08-2013 12:50 PM

Storage or sell?

Life is too short.

I've made the decision to spend some quality time with my wife and 2 little boys.

Sooooo... we've sold our house and are banking the money, I've requested indefinte leave from my work, which they have granted. We're moving out to the country somewhere and just chilling with my wife and spending time chasing my boys around the park...

But I'm not sure what to do with my STI. I'm either going to put it into storage or sell it. We don't need 2 cars on my sabbatical. If I put it into storage its a depreciating asset that I'm not using. Plus insurance, plus rego, plus storage costs. I'm leaning more towards selling it and getting something when I get back. But the other side of me says keep it. It'll be there to enjoy when I get back.

Should I sell it or store it? I don't owe any money on it.

My break will be 3-6 months.

BLUES 21-08-2013 12:56 PM

Sell.

teejay 21-08-2013 12:56 PM

3 months? Store.

thehowlfactor 21-08-2013 12:58 PM

I guess it depends on how attached you are to it. If its your pride and joy store it, if its just a car, sell it.

REXXXED 21-08-2013 12:58 PM

Assuming you don't require the cash from selling to make the break happen, I would probably keep it.

Got any mates with a spare garage spot? Get them to start it and take it for a 20 minute drive every week or 2.

You purchased it new lass than a year ago (from memory)?? It has already taken it's big hit of depreciation when you drove it off the lot. Shouldn't drop much more in the next 3 to 6 months.

If you sell it now and buy another exactly the same when you get back it will cost another $10-15K to buy a brand new one. Or you will pay basically the same amount for what you sell this one for another second hand one (and you don't know the history etc).

Kimba 21-08-2013 01:03 PM

Firstly, I think it's a very healthy decision to take a break from the daily grind and reconnect with your family. Hats off to you for making it happen.

As for the car, personally I would store it. I don't feel that 3-6 months is too long to maintain rego, insurance and storage of a vehicle that you have some form of attachment to. Selling the car may leave you with residual feelings of regret or uncertainty with regards to returning to the city. If this is not the case, then by all means sell the car and allow the act to reinforce a fresh start for you and your family.

Jeckle 21-08-2013 01:18 PM

There are some nice roads in the country, take it with you.

norwest_rumbler 21-08-2013 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=Kimba;767276]Firstly, I think it's a very healthy decision to take a break from the daily grind and reconnect with your family. Hats off to you for making it happen.

As for the car, personally I would store it. I don't feel that 3-6 months is too long to maintain rego, insurance and storage of a vehicle that you have some form of attachment to. Selling the car may leave you with residual feelings of regret or uncertainty with regards to returning to the city. If this is not the case, then by all means sell the car and allow the act to reinforce a fresh start for you and your family.[/QUOTE]

^ very well put - WHS.

mARC 21-08-2013 01:44 PM

How much is the market really going to dip in 6months? Bring it with you 'I know it's not one of your options', you may not need two cars but at the same time it'll be there when/if you want to go for a quick blat for some personal time.

Best way to test whether its still worth keeping?

In saying that you did sell the house :D

grape juice 21-08-2013 01:55 PM

I'd say keep it and store it. Can always change insurance to to fire and theft, cutting some costs, rego won't be much and if you have a mate you can save the costs of storage.

On the other hand you can leave it on my 5 acre property and ill make sure the oil seals don't dry out ;)

AWDmoke 21-08-2013 03:32 PM

You can get Laid Up Insurance quite cheaply if it's to be in storage, but I'd be inclined to sell it. You'll probably be driving a Hilux after 6 months in the country.

American Dave 21-08-2013 03:48 PM

Leave it with me. I will store it and give it a regular drive until you come back. Problem solved.

RUSSGT 21-08-2013 03:49 PM

Sell it.

Zombee 22-08-2013 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=Kimba;767276]Firstly, I think it's a very healthy decision to take a break from the daily grind and reconnect with your family. Hats off to you for making it happen.[/QUOTE]

Cheers mate, I was crapping myself when I went to ask the boss. He just said, 'mate, I did the same thing when I was your age with a young family. Leave approved, enjoy your break - just make sure you come back'

Sweet :D

As for the car. I do enjoy driving it for sure and its an awesome machine, but its not my dream car. Don't know if I even have a dream car at this stage of my life. As the topic suggests, there's more important things to me atm.

I might put it up for sale, if it goes before I leave, great, if not, I'll store it.

mARC 22-08-2013 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=Zombee;767476]As for the car. I do enjoy driving it for sure and its an awesome machine, but its not my dream midlife crisis car.[/QUOTE]

Fixed ;):D

EXPLICIT 22-08-2013 01:47 PM

Sell it, you won't miss it.

urabus 22-08-2013 04:05 PM

Its going to cost you circa $2k to store it for 6 months in rego, storage, insurance etc.

A replacement will cost you that just in stamp duty.

What is the other car? Sell both, buy a range rover and be king of the manor?!

Brendon

nauli 23-08-2013 07:07 AM

Great lifestyle choice Dom...brave but sensible...re the car...hmmm...dunno, though it was a present from your lovely wife was it not? If so perhaps keep!!

Zombee 23-08-2013 09:26 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;767595]Great lifestyle choice Dom...brave but sensible...re the car...hmmm...dunno, though it was a present from your lovely wife was it not? If so perhaps keep!![/QUOTE]

It was a gift Steve, you're correct. But she is the same as me, she has no problem if we sell it.

If I sell it, I would get something cheaper upon my return. As many have said, there's no point getting a car of the same value when I get back as I would go backwards with stamp duty etc.

An EVO 9 perhaps?? haven't had an EVO before.

nauli 23-08-2013 10:36 AM

[QUOTE=Zombee;767613]It was a gift Steve, you're correct. But she is the same as me, she has no problem if we sell it.

If I sell it, I would get something cheaper upon my return. As many have said, there's no point getting a car of the same value when I get back as I would go backwards with stamp duty etc.

An EVO 9 perhaps?? haven't had an EVO before.[/QUOTE]

Focus RS?

thehowlfactor 23-08-2013 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;767620]Focus RS?[/QUOTE]

+1 on the Focus

Big Chris 23-08-2013 11:02 AM

A couple of years ago, my nephew headed off to UK chasing a skirt, was going to be away for 12 months or so. As he was rushing around to get going I said just leave your car with me and I'll try to sell it at the right price. It was a VE Commodore SV6, good condition, could not get within $10,000 of what he had paid for it 2 years before, so I just kept hanging on, half expecting what happened next. As it was, she gave him the rush when he got there, and disillusioned he returned home after about 3 months. Met him at the airport, gave him his car back, saved him thousands.

On the other hand, if you are sure about what you are doing, don't want any strings attached, and can afford it, it would be something else you don't need to think about if you sold it.

Good luck.

Zombee 28-08-2013 06:55 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts chaps. I have decided to keep the car. Whether I store it at my brother in laws place or take it to the country I'll ponder for abit more on :D

Cheers
Dom :)

thehowlfactor 28-08-2013 07:02 PM

Glad to hear you're keeping it. The more I drive my car the more I hate the idea of ever selling it.

Zombee 02-09-2013 11:08 AM

...and because I'm keeping the STI I decided to get a tune and TBE fitted. Dropped it off this morning.
Happy Dayz :)

Zombee 02-09-2013 05:16 PM

Picked up the car. Fuk it's good to have that rumble back. Luv it!!

American Dave 02-09-2013 05:24 PM

yes great choice Dom