Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

I launched at 5500 all the time...if you are smelling clutch and don't know how to launch an STI which is made for launching, then maybe hold off launch control until you learn.

I could launch with stock tyres, and with AD08s. The only time i had trouble with launching was with new AD08s...

I'm a fairly avg driver too.

Also stock clutch was still perfect after alot of events.

Last edited by kid; 28-10-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 28-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

I know how to launch usually...I was trying to replicate LC without LC...lol

I find the best rpms though with manual launching is much less than 5500...prob around 4-4.5! moves the car off the line so much easier, rather than spin...anyway that's me but maybe needs a few more track days to feel confident at 5500 without LC...

Will get it enabled anyway and test it at the track...well maybe once or twice tmo arvo just to see what it's like
Old 28-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

You don't have to make the wheels spin on tarmac???

I just want to get launch with almost no spin on tarmac so as to get faster times...

Your post below lost me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty05 View Post
NO HATE at all
Just remember launch on gravel is very different to tarmac wheels will always spin on gravel you have to make the wheels spin on tarmac hence why shit breaks easier
Old 28-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

I was told when i was a young boy that spinning the tires releases the stress built up in the driveline and is better for the car. From that moment i made the wheels spin every time to impress the girls.

I am still a virgin.
Andy!, RUSSGT, TROLLEY and 4 others like this.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:03 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Matty05 at standard level

if you are launching at around 4-4.5 k without any wheel spin there is alot of stress being placed on the driveline components as everything goes from being stationary to trying to turn at roughly the same speed you are doing in 1st gear at 4k whatever that is whilst trying to shift the weight of the car, with a bit of wheel spin that load is greatly reduced as the driveline is able to spin up freely whilst still moving the carand as the tyres start to gain grip the car is already moving
what i was referring to above was i thought the vid you posted was what you were basing your argument for getting launch control as the car launched quite easy on the dirty road
mechanical sympathy is all i am getting at
good luck with the launch control
RJ999 likes this.
Old 28-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

I get what you meant now...

I would have thought that the amount of power required to make the wheels spin on tarmac would be stressful to the components...also I have no idea how I would make the wheels spin on tarmac (without burning the clutch or Im too scared to try)...maybe on a slippery bit of tarmac like at rac?
I just went for a lap and launched fine at around 5500, no clutch problems...but heard a little clonk couple of times thought might be the lsd engaging or driveshaft, or just that shitty space saver cover moving in the boot along with the tools...I reckon that was it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty05 View Post
if you are launching at around 4-4.5 k without any wheel spin there is alot of stress being placed on the driveline components as everything goes from being stationary to trying to turn at roughly the same speed you are doing in 1st gear at 4k whatever that is whilst trying to shift the weight of the car, with a bit of wheel spin that load is greatly reduced as the driveline is able to spin up freely whilst still moving the carand as the tyres start to gain grip the car is already moving
what i was referring to above was i thought the vid you posted was what you were basing your argument for getting launch control as the car launched quite easy on the dirty road
mechanical sympathy is all i am getting at
good luck with the launch control
Old 29-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Without going into detail ( I think we did this topic recently in depth ) Launching at 5500 on your own is vastly different to launching at 5500 on a launch control.

Why?

Because without it you are holding the engine back to 5500 by closing the throttle to almost nothing ( trust me, less than 10% open )
With the throttle closed there's no airflow, no airflow = no boost, only vacuum in the manifold. (watch your boost guage )

With launch control you have the throttle wide open, mass air flow, as much boost as your tuner wants it to have. The engine is held back to 5500 by retarded timing or by cutting cylinders.

In my opinion it's better to launch the car using the boost/ torque to spin the wheels rather than relying on the inertia of the rotating flywheel to stop the car from bogging down.
Intra, RUSSGT, inrextc and 2 others like this.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dtrally For This Useful Post:
AWDmoke (29-10-2013), DukeDrifter (29-10-2013), GTB Liberty (29-10-2013), RJ999 (29-10-2013), TROLLEY (29-10-2013)
Old 29-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

What Dougie said ...
Old 29-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

What I get from this you mean better with launch control then as the wheels spin...compared to right now now, cant make them spin and using the flywheel
Its getting put on today :-)

[QUOTE=dtrally;77622
With launch control you have the throttle wide open, mass air flow, as much boost as your tuner wants it to have. The engine is held back to 5500 by retarded timing or by cutting cylinders.

In my opinion it's better to launch the car using the boost/ torque to spin the wheels rather than relying on the inertia of the rotating flywheel to stop the car from bogging down.[/QUOTE]
Old 29-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Kinda. He is saying that by using LC and having boost/torque off the line helps spin the wheels and take stress of the drivetrain than just revving and building boost from the line which puts a fuck load more stress on the flywheel.

As for the clunking. When i launched my car at 5.5k once i also noticed the clunks. I assumed it was something to do with the centre diff as it was in auto.
RJ999 likes this.

Tags
clucth, clutch, control, launch, replicating, smell