Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-11-2013, 09:16 PM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level
Default Trading in the 02 for an 06 Evo 9 WRX - Should I?

Hey guys,

Popped into Subaru today after work to grab some coolant for my car and ended up having a little look around and come across a very nice looking 06 that caught my eye. It's dead stock, straight body, leather interior, and looks great. Couldn't find one dent or scratch.

I currently drive an 02 wrx, which I do like. The bugeye look has even grown on me but this new rex just looks too pretty for me not to consider.

So far my pros for going for it are:
Nicer interior
Body in better condition
Nicer looking overall
2.5L more low end + torque
Lower ks

Cons
My wallet won't like me as much anymore
I abandon a car that has done well by me (though I'm sure we'll both get over it )

Price at the moment is $21k, but I plan on trying to talk them down a bit to see where I can get. They're also valuing my 02 wrx to see if a trade in is worth it, I go back on Saturday for a drive and further discussions.

Ultimately I won't be making a decision until I've given it a decent drive but I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts or anything I should consider.

I won't have lost too much in work on the current 02, I've just done the clutch and radiator really.

And to finish, pics of both. Thanks in advance for input duudes. Finally got my licence too so I'll have to come out for a drive with you guys soon

Old 14-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

I love the pignose shape (bit bias since I own a 06 myself) and it looks much better once you change the rims and lower it. Add a new exhaust and a tune and you've got an awesome looking and performing car. Check out Tony's, RJ999's and even my driveway thread if you get desperate if want to see how they look once you mod them a bit.

I guess it all depends on how long you are thinking on keeping the car too. By swapping over you are getting a car that's 4 years newer and with any luck will have less problems and lower k's.
RJ999 likes this.

Last edited by thehowlfactor; 14-11-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 14-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Bet they offer you $5-6k trade in. Then you'll walk out.
JDM_STYLE, Ko[R]uPt and TROLLEY like this.
Old 14-11-2013, 10:02 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

I'm a bit biased but I say go the piggy, as you say it's newer,lower kms and just looks awesome

You also probably won't get much for the bugeye as they normally sell for 10-12k at dealers, also if you get it make sure the 06 has service history and been looked after cause you don't want to sell a reliable car to buy a lemon.....
Old 14-11-2013, 10:13 PM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehowlfactor View Post
I love the pignose shape (bit bias since I own a 06 myself) and it looks much better once you change the rims and lower it. Add a new exhaust and a tune and you've got an awesome looking and performing car. Check out Tony's, RJ999's and even my driveway threads if you get desperate if want to see how they look once you mod them a bit.

I guess it all depends on how long you are thinking on keeping the car too. By swapping over you are getting a car that's 4 years newer and with any luck will have less problems and lower k's.
Yeah I have been looking at a few builds, just checked yours out now and it looks sweet. They look so clean already, you just need to do a few bits to bring it all together and you have a beauty.

I planned on keeping my 02 for years, but I keep finding myself too envious of newer wrx models to keep hold of it. The bugeye look has grown on me but it is still a bugeye. In the beginning it was just the newest model I could afford, and I didn't like the gc8 interior much so I went for it. Over the last six months I've been eyeing out other models and I do think the peanut is one I can really love. So to answer that question, probably about 5 years or more haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg39 View Post
Bet they offer you $5-6k trade in. Then you'll walk out.
Possible, and something I'm ready for. It's not the end of the world, there's always a private market out there. It will take a bit longer to sell and will put me out of a car for up to a few weeks while I find another car I want to sink my money into but I can deal with it. I think I have come to the point now though where I do want to move on from the bugeye.

Anything around the $8k mark will satisfy me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4eva93 View Post
I'm a bit biased but I say go the piggy, as you say it's newer,lower kms and just looks awesome

You also probably won't get much for the bugeye as they normally sell for 10-12k at dealers, also if you get it make sure the 06 has service history and been looked after cause you don't want to sell a reliable car to buy a lemon.....

Yep it has a full service history, and one female driver. I know, we hear it all the time LOL but I saw the evidence in the log book today. The car is bone stock, not even an exhaust or muffler, feels like a good start.

Thanks for the input guys
Old 14-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Howl...did you just howl out that you've started modding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehowlfactor View Post
Check out Tony's, RJ999's and even my driveway thread if you get desperate if want to see how they look once you mod them a bit.
Old 14-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
Howl...did you just howl out that you've started modding?
Not yet, hence the desperate part if they have to look at my driveway thread.
Old 14-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Go for it mate, if you find a nice 06/07 model that's well kept no damage with low kms, don't think twice because someone else will nab it in the meanwhile.

My two cents though - Check if the timing belt/spark plug service has been done, if not try to get them to do it for you for free for you to buy it.(not sure they'll do it for free but worth a try!)... You should do this service at 4yrs or 100,000kms whichever comes first...but you will find that most low km 06/07s haven't had it done (stingy owners + not reached 100,000km)...for peace of mind you'll have to get it done after you buy it anyway if they don't know if it's had that service done(or when it was done!). If it's been done then all good.

Last edited by RJ999; 14-11-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 14-11-2013, 10:24 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRecardo View Post

.....and one female driver.......
Means sweet fuckall.....us girls can thrash cars too

serious note though check the clutch......
Old 14-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Whats Low K's?

Tags
02, 06, evo, trading, wrx