Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Giacomo at standard level
Default MY13 navigation and stereo mods

I've just purchased a 2013 WRX Premium sedan
- the one with the infamous sat nav that doesn't have USB input for the iPhone or Bluetooth audio streaming.

I'm trying to work out if the Media Hub that Subaru used to sell for 2010/11 models still works with the 2013? Can I buy it from the united states and simply get it installed (or do it myself, more likely) and plug my phone in? Alternatively, is there a software hack or mod that allows Bluetooth audio streaming?

My second question is on how to disable the cut out that stops the phone being accessible/DVD player from working etc when the car is moving.

I've seen information about these questions on the forums about older WRX, but not the 2013 model (apologies if these questions have been answered somewhere, I'm a newby).
Old 29-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
I've just purchased a 2013 WRX Premium sedan
- the one with the infamous sat nav that doesn't have USB input for the iPhone or Bluetooth audio streaming.

I'm trying to work out if the Media Hub that Subaru used to sell for 2010/11 models still works with the 2013? Can I buy it from the united states and simply get it installed (or do it myself, more likely) and plug my phone in? Alternatively, is there a software hack or mod that allows Bluetooth audio streaming?

My second question is on how to disable the cut out that stops the phone being accessible/DVD player from working etc when the car is moving.

I've seen information about these questions on the forums about older WRX, but not the 2013 model (apologies if these questions have been answered somewhere, I'm a newby).
Unsure of the compatibility but hopefully someone else can answer your question... In order to bypass the DVD cut out when the car is moving... There is a wire that will be connected to your hand break switch. If you get a wiring diagram you can get the colour for this one.

If you want to bypass it, all you need to do it ground that cable to any negative wire. As far as I am aware it should work.

Good luck

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 29-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Thanks Brett. I think I read that Subaru has put a stop to the handbrake trick because people were getting around it.
Hope I'm wrong!
Old 29-11-2013, 02:39 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Straner at standard level

There's a picture guide I posted a while ago in this thread http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic...t-nav-dvd.html

Real easy mod. As for compatibilty, I don't think they would have changed much, but nothing a call to Subaru couldn't answer
Old 29-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

If I were going to "upgrade" the stereo then personally I would run a standalone gps and get an aftermarket CD/DVD/media headunit. Will be cheaper and far better (audio) quality than what you will get from Subaru.
Old 29-11-2013, 03:16 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

remove stock stereo/gps pos and prosper
Old 13-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straner View Post
There's a picture guide I posted a while ago in this thread http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cosmetic...t-nav-dvd.html

Real easy mod. As for compatibilty, I don't think they would have changed much, but nothing a call to Subaru couldn't answer

Straner, thank you so much, this mod worked perfectly and was very easy to do (once I pressed the eject DVD button to get the face plate off).

I've called Subaru and a couple of car stereo places and can't get a straight answer from anyone on the media hub. I'm fairly confident I could wire it up myself, I just don't want spend $300-$500 on something that may not be fit for purpose.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Straner likes this.
Old 22-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Default Still no luck..

I've made a few calls around the place, to Subaru and to car stereo places but I am still none the wiser...if anyone out there knows if the 2010-11 media hub will work with the 2013 sat nav unit...I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm guessing if it's the same sat nav unit it will work - does anyone know if subaru changed the sat nav in the last couple of years?
Old 22-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Check on NASOIC ...
Old 23-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Scoobie Noobie

No definitive answer on NASIOC as far as I can tell.

Tags
mods, my13, navigation, stereo