Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Need some advice on getting a harness. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/58086-need-some-advice-getting-harness.html)

zoom 18-04-2014 12:59 PM

Need some advice on getting a harness.

I need a new harness for doing laps on the open days at the race track. I believe I need a four point harness. I notice there are two types, one that uses a squareish buckle, and one that uses a round buckle with multiple plug in points. Which is preferred and why?
Secondly, where can I get one in WA. Because I need advice I'd rather buy locally for this than off the 'net. I need longish straps as the existing harness attaches to a cage at the rear. It'll need to comply with L2 ? classification.

Thanks in advance.

baylee 18-04-2014 01:47 PM

Go see Brian at Cullys Yamaha.. Aka Cullys race equip...
Got all you need, good non "wanker" advice & with great pricing..

It's anchoring to the floor that can be the hardest part in street car.

nick73 18-04-2014 02:07 PM

GoGear, ask for Ivan.

Jeckle 18-04-2014 02:52 PM

As above, and Mike Nairn at Performance Race Gear. (246 Great Eastern Highway Ascot WA 6014) Believe he has Sparco and another brand, if your south of the river.

rjb 18-04-2014 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=nick73;795933]GoGear, ask for Ivan.[/QUOTE]

I just bought my harness from Ivan. He won't waste your time & gives solid advice.

dtrally 18-04-2014 07:11 PM

There are 3 main types of buckle.
The cheapest 4 point has a normal seatbelt type buckle with the shoulder and lap belts on each side sewn together. You have to put the harness on like a waitstcoat, threading your arms through then buckling it under your guts. Not bad for a track day but far from ideal in competition. They are limited to 4 points, ie; no crutch strap available.

The next type is the 'Nascar' or 'speedway' buckle. They are 4 or 5 point. The buckle is an ugly external latch mechanism that looks like a rat trap. You have to 'load' all the belt buckles onto the latch one at a time then clip the clasp over. They are ideal in dirty situations as mud can be washed out of the latch easily. They can be inadvertently unlatched by your sleeve in a panic steering manouver however and look like shit.

Widely recognised as the best option is a rotary buckle or 'aircraft' style. They can be 4, 5 or 6 point. You can start as a 4 point then upgrade to a 5 or 6 when you get race seats by just purchasing the crutch strap if you get the right type of buckle. These are the easiest to put on and the easiest/quickest to undo in an emergency.

nick73 18-04-2014 07:18 PM

Slight hijack here. dtrally do you reckon HANS and tethers are overkill for local the sprint series, McRae and Barbs?

_daz_ 19-04-2014 05:39 AM

+1 for the camlock, so much easier and more secure. Another thing worth mentioning is to check the dates on the harnesses, depending where you end up going to purchase them, may have older stock.

zoom 19-04-2014 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=_daz_;795990]+1 for the camlock, so much easier and more secure. Another thing worth mentioning is to check the dates on the harnesses, depending where you end up going to purchase them, may have older stock.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Daz
I went for a drive at the local racetrack and the scrutineer pointed out that my existing harness (and borrowed helmet) was out of date. Hence the search for replacements. I might add that the scrutineer and others at the track were very friendly and helpful for my first drive on a track.

ALEX. 19-04-2014 03:18 PM

A year or two ago CAMS gave harness lifespans an upgrade from 5 years expiry up to 10. So essentially it added on 5 years to most harness' tagged expiry dates - so just be aware of that.

I'm sure the scruit would've been aware of that though, so I guess your harness was getting on a bit.