Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

bombers821 at standard level
Default Buying wrx's with high kms!

Hey guys seen a few good clean wrx's on the market with high kms on the chassis though have fresh engine rebuilds aka 20-25000kms on the engine itself. Wondering your thoughts on buying such cars or is it a case of steer clear and don't even bother?
Old 19-05-2014, 09:41 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

All depends how it's looked after really. If the owner has put the money and effort into maintenance, kept servicing up to date, replaced things as they needed replacing or before and doesn't drive around like they're in The Fast and the Furious then they can be fine. The more k's the more wear and tear obviously, but nothing a good mechanical inspection with a compression test shouldn't pick up on.
Old 19-05-2014, 10:51 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

joshwrx at standard level

just remember, if the owner was racing for pink slips, they might have blown the floor pan for not listening to their laptop when running the nossss!

as patch says! i have a 2002 wrx that has done 172000km and it goes to mechanics when big things need to be done (sometimes its worth paying to get it done right) and a lot of them go that its one of the cleanest bug eyes that get in their workshops. it all depends on how much the driver looks after the car! if you see one that straight up has a really bad interior, sometimes that says a lot about the drivers habits. i looked at a few cars when i was buying and the rebuilt engines always seem to make me steer clear just incase they have rebuilt it as they destroyed their old engine,and yet some i looked at that had legit reasons for rebuilding (if its been rebuilt recently, ask for receipts and call the people that rebuilt it to see why/how it was done etc). if it was rebuilt at a Hyundai dealership you would be a bit suspicious as to why they took it there if you get what i mean!

have fun shopping

--MODS--
--> Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
--> Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
--> 3" turbo back exhaust
--> Catless up pipe
Old 19-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

A new bottom end is great. I think a compression test tells fuck all, infact a good analasis of the engines performance/thrashing by a mechanic who knows how the car should feel and sound is worth so much more imho.

Make sure money has been spent on maintenance, not a set of coilovers and a some chinese wheels and you will be fine!
Old 20-05-2014, 02:20 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Well looked after WRX motors and boxes are good for at least 400,000k's, if it doesn't make any funny noises, blow any smoke, get hot after a decent run at 110kph and a little bit of hammering it's probably in pretty good condition, not a lot goes wrong chassis wise and they are pretty easy cars to find parts for and work on yourself.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 20-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

I agree with the resident Pimp :P

I pulled the original motor out of my Sti with around 280,000km on it - it still had the factory hone marks in the bores, the car has never been babied by any means either....

I've also had RS liberty's with well over 300,000km on the clock that were still running the original motor, turbo & gearbox.

Possessing a little mechanical sympathy goes a long way!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 20-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

bombers821 at standard level

Thanks for the feedback guys hopefully can find something soon !

Tags
buying, high, kms, wrx