Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Empire performance exhaust (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/60394-empire-performance-exhaust.html)

Satie12 18-01-2015 02:24 PM

Empire performance exhaust

Hi all,

I'm currently running a empire performance 3inch turbo back exhaust with a catalytic converter plus a empire un-equal length headers and cat-less up pipe.

It currently is relatively loud but I'm after a little louder (:
But I'm not a huge fan of the headers as it changes the note a lot and is very raspy. It gets to the point when I'm driving that I can't hear my exhaust and the subaru rumble. I've checked for exhaust leaks but found nothing so I've nailed it down to the type of metal the headers are.

So I'm wondering if any of you good people are running the 'non Catalytic converter 3 inch system by empire performance or the straight through system they also do?
As I would love to hear how loud it is if that's possible?
And to also find out if anyone is running stock headers with those 2 systems as I'm a bit over how raspy my headers are.

Cheers all

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Spiffy 18-03-2015 07:28 PM

Looks like we are both new here :p

Have you tried to heat wrap the headers?
That could seriously dampen the raspyness from the headers. I had to do this with my N/A impreza not that long ago. It helped heaps with engine bay noise.

matto20v 18-03-2015 07:44 PM

If it were my car, I'd remove the Empire exhaust and replace it with a [B]quality[/B] system. Norm Butler, Invidia, etc.

Satie12 18-03-2015 09:44 PM

Thanks guys, I ended up going back to stock headers with a cat-less up-pipe and ended up going with the Catless drift-spec 3 inch exhaust system by ultrex! It's perfect, it's loud! Just what I was looking for!

nissanman 10-06-2015 10:49 AM

Sorry to chime in late but did you find a power increase using the empire headers?

Ive called them and i was very direct and asked if they are the same headers that alibaba and ebay offer and he assures me the headers they sell for the WRX are high quality and he has NEVER had any come back due to cracking or warping etc.

Did you headers fit up ok? Did you get a tune afterwards?

im using an Empire TBE. The dump pipe is the "AUSSIE" spec and it hits my STI steering knuckle..... go figure.The sound however is great. My system has a cat with 2 resonators which makes it acceptable on freeways with kids in back etc.

Cheers

Satie12 10-06-2015 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=nissanman;824097]Sorry to chime in late but did you find a power increase using the empire headers?

Ive called them and i was very direct and asked if they are the same headers that alibaba and ebay offer and he assures me the headers they sell for the WRX are high quality and he has NEVER had any come back due to cracking or warping etc.

Did you headers fit up ok? Did you get a tune afterwards?

im using an Empire TBE. The dump pipe is the "AUSSIE" spec and it hits my STI steering knuckle..... go figure.The sound however is great. My system has a cat with 2 resonators which makes it acceptable on freeways with kids in back etc.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

All good dude, I ran the headers for about a month without a tune I did feel a slight noticeable increase in spool time and a little top end.

IMO they sounded really crappy, they were very raspy! and where they connect up to the Up-pipe they aren't machined properly causing big exhaust leaks, I also had fitment issues as they didn't clear the chassis so I ended up angle grinding out some of the chassis to make them fit. So I ended up selling the headers and the Empire performance exhaust as I had the same issues as you did!

I tried Ultrex performance and to be honest.. best bang for your buck! I brought a 3 inch Cat-less exhaust system from them ;) nice and loud! there quality is great plus there dump pipe flange is flared off so there is no contact with the steering knuckle. I'm currently using stock headers but saving for a set of ultrex Un-equal length headers as from what I heard they are great quality! and fit perfect pretty much 'Tomei' headers without the stamp. Similar price range to Empire performance just a lot more quality made! IMO I wouldn't get headers un-less you are doing a turbo upgrade as the stock headers are more than cable for just minor modding (TBE) But up to you!

hope this helped!

McRooster 10-06-2015 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=Satie12;824104]All good dude, I ran the headers for about a month without a tune I did feel a slight noticeable increase in spool time and a little top end.

IMO they sounded really crappy, they were very raspy! and where they connect up to the Up-pipe they aren't machined properly causing big exhaust leaks, I also had fitment issues as they didn't clear the chassis so I ended up angle grinding out some of the chassis to make them fit. So I ended up selling the headers and the Empire performance exhaust as I had the same issues as you did!

I tried Ultrex performance and to be honest.. best bang for your buck! I brought a 3 inch Cat-less exhaust system from them ;) nice and loud! there quality is great plus there dump pipe flange is flared off so there is no contact with the steering knuckle. I'm currently using stock headers but saving for a set of ultrex Un-equal length headers as from what I heard they are great quality! and fit perfect pretty much 'Tomei' headers without the stamp. Similar price range to Empire performance just a lot more quality made! IMO I wouldn't get headers un-less you are doing a turbo upgrade as the stock headers are more than cable for just minor modding (TBE) But up to you!

hope this helped![/QUOTE]
About that steering knuckle contact... Is it really that dangerous or over exaggerated. Not that I wouldn't buy from Ultrex, but say if someone wanted to change to a brand like Invidia.

Satie12 10-06-2015 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=McRooster;824118]About that steering knuckle contact... Is it really that dangerous or over exaggerated. Not that I wouldn't buy from Ultrex, but say if someone wanted to change to a brand like Invidia.[/QUOTE]

It's not really the fact it's dangerous it's just causes fitment issues with you bolting the dump to the back of the turbo and even if you do bolt it on and there's contact you'll be able to hear it while driving! I would recommend Invidia ! Great quality I'll be changing to Invidia system down the track when I have more monies! ;)

REXXXED 2.0 10-06-2015 07:02 PM

+5 for Butler performance ! i have one on mine and the quality is amazing even for a good 10+ year old system and a varex muffler ! :)

Kremer930 10-06-2015 07:12 PM

Invidia sounds great with stock headers. My invidia race headers with the Q300 invidia exhaust is louder than most race cars. Too much of a good thing....