Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree438Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

It looks like an old air strip. That's how they roll in pommie land! We are pretty spoilt having a world class drag racing venue reasonably close to the city.
dazdavies likes this.
Old 17-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Spot on Nick. Santa Pod and Shakespeare County raceway are the only two proper strips in the country.

Last edited by dazdavies; 17-04-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 17-04-2017, 05:59 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Wow. Cant believe that a country with the population like the UK only has 2 drag ways. Never thought id say this, but you guys need a higher proportion of bogans over there.
Old 17-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Sir AntiLag

There's plenty of strips like this one about but only two proper fully prepped ones. The up side is there's loads of proper race tracks.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:39 PM
Sir AntiLag

So I finally got the car on some UK rollers for a comparison run to the Aussie figures I had. Nothing has changed tuning or engine wise since the Aussie runs.

At 1.7bar with very conservative ignition timing (see ignition table) it made 511.9 bhp on V Power (98) at the flywheel. The car did 11.7 at 122mph on this tune on the quarter at York.

It's safe to say there's plenty more in it and 2 bar on V power with some more mapping I should get it into the tens on Vpower.

I didn't manage to run it on e85 and 2bar today but again the tuning on that map is also conservative. with only 13.5 degrees at the top end. Overall I'm happy as there's plenty more in it

It also looks like Aussie wheel figures are pretty much UK Flywheel figures.

Boost and AFR

Power and Torque

Here is the timing table. I asked for it to be mapped very conservatively for UK Fuel.
nick73, Dan [GTI] and REXXXED 2.0 like this.

Last edited by dazdavies; 03-06-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 15-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Sir AntiLag

Update time.

A couple of weeks back my clutch started to slip. I didn't expect that as I only changed the plates just before I left Perth. As I was doing it at home I had to do it the engine out way rather than taking the gearbox off.

So once I got the engine out and the clutch apart I was a bit underwhelmed as I was expecting to see worn plates. Nope, to the eye there didn't seem much wrong with it. That wasn't until I got a straight edge out. The pressure plates had worn and the flywheel had seen better days.

As luck would have it a friend of mine had an identical brand new clutch sat on a shelf that was surplus to requirements. Offered me it for a good price so the deal was done.

When it arrived it was plain to see it had been sat on a shelf gathering dust but it was brand new so I was happy.

While the engine was out I decided to make a couple of minor changes. One being the intercooler pipework. I've never ever liked the way ASG did the hot side. For some unknown reason they decided to run the pipe along the engine and down to the cooler past the headers. It was too close to the headers (about an inch away) and as a result the pipe would always be hot and giving the IC that much extra to do.

I also needed to change the cold side. When I had took the pipe to be welded in Perth I
I didn't account for the oil filler cap and so I had to block it off and run without it. Fortunately the engine doesn't use much oil so a top up via a funnel through the dipstick was doable. It was a ball ache however when doing a full oil change. So I addressed that and had the pipe work adjusted slightly.

I also wanted to make a bracket that would be welded to the Cosworth Inlet manifold to bolt the header tank to. I made it out of cardboard first and got the shape correct. Then I made it out of 4mm aluminium and shaped it with my trusty dremel. Got my mate to weld that and my IC pipework.

Once that was all done I repainted the inlet. Changed the turbo compressor colour back to silver and put it all back together.

I just have to get the hot side pipework made up and it'll be off for another tune to shoot for a bit more power.

Here's how it's all looking at the moment.

AWDmoke, DZENCI, XT43 and 7 others like this.
Old 22-07-2017, 05:41 PM
Sir AntiLag

So I've finally finished the engine related work on this car.

The last piece of the puzzle was the hot side intercooler piping.

I've never liked the way ASG had routed the pipework. It went along side the engine and then down over the headers at the point where there are two primaries close together so the heat generated from there is substantial. This then radiated through the pipework and all of the hotside pipe work was very hot.

Not only that but it was routed in such way that one of the joins was always under pressure and no matter how tight the clamps were they would work loose eventually. Usually at a really bad moment the worst of which was during over taking once.

Here's the original route the pipework took.

So I had my best mate who owns a stainless steel exhaust making business to make the new pipework for me.

As luck would have it we managed to make it a single piece from core to turbo.

I may revisit the cold side at some point but only to elimate a join or two as I'm not keen on the silicon elbow.

But for now the engine side of things is finished.
DZENCI, TROLLEY and nick73 like this.
Old 26-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Sir AntiLag

Rather than Hijack Jacob's thread. I'll answer Bram's comments below.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Daz, your twisting it to suit your argument.

Fact, the engine has been in and out of the car for big repair more times than i have fingers on one hand. (Probably both hands.) This is not reliable mate.

It doesnt really matter if its because of a shit build, a random mechanical failure, a shit tune, a random mechanical failure from a previous shit build, a random mechanical failure from a previous shit tune, an act of god or whatever else caused the need for big repairs. The car still ends up laid up while repairs are done and money goes flying out the wallet. That is not reliable mate.

Just forget for a second that you built it yourself. (Im not having a go at you personnally. Just discussing the history of the car) And just assume you are just a regular joe. You take the car to a speed shop for a high power build, hand over the cash, And you get what happened to the previous owner. (A big $ build, then numerous subsequent "gasket repairs") Then you take it to a second shop. And get another build, and the head lets go on the dyno, then another big repair follows and a valve lets go shortly after that. Then another big repair again. (At which point everyone else is wondering why you still persist with your super reliable car). But you do persist and finally on the 6th or 7th time round you get lucky. The engine builder did a good job, nothing let go, the tune was solid. No random shit went wrong. All the fuct parts were swapped out in the previous repairs. The stars align and everything was good.

Would a reasonable person call that reliable?

Hell, even the clutch wearing out could be seen as unreliability. We all know they are consumable, but would it be ok to call 30,000km reliable? Just because its used on a high power car. Every other reliable car on the road gets atleast 3 times that many kms. (Probs closer to 6 times that)

And lets just talk about other high power builds for sec, how often is it you see these type of things happen when people go looking for big numbers? All the time. Things go wrong. Shit happens. Its the nature of it. No one wants a lean out and subsequent meted pistons. No intentionally hooks up remote oil filter/cooler lines backwards and starves a brand new engine of oil. No one intentionally has a rod poke out the side of the block, or a belt tensioner pull out or any number of shit things that can happen. But they do and i have seen all those things. And by the very nature of those things happening, reliability dissapears. Reliability and having a (or many) shitty engine failures are mutaully exclusive.
I'm not sure what your motivation for this post Bram but it's completely inaccurate.
I need to put you straight on a few points.

You're saying the car isn't reliable. I don't agree with that at all. I do agree that it wasn't but since I've sorted all the inherited issues out it is. You're failing to grasp the key difference between then and now. Let me be clear on that so it sinks in. The car is reliable now since the last build (where I'd got rid of all the problems due to all the shitty work that ASG had done) 30,000kms ago.
How many times has the engine been out since I built the very first one? 3 times. 1 for the cracked head, 1 for the dropped valve and 1 a couple of weeks ago to change the clutch. That's it.

Where the fuck have you got this second shop bullshit from?
It hasn't been anywhere but ASGfor the engine work prior to my ownership. Since I've bought it only I have worked on the car.
This is exactly what I mean about your statements being completely inaccurate.

Now lets talk about the clutch.

The clutch was on the car when I bought it and had done around 20,000 kms at that point. Before the dropped valve it had done another 8-10,000kms. At that point I changed the two friction plates but kept the rest of the hardware (pressure plates and flywheel). It's then done 30,000 more kms before it started slipping. That's 60,000 kms from a clutch on a 600hp car. That's pretty good going.

When I took the clutch out the friction plates were still fine but the rest of the hardware was spent.

Grooves on a pressure plate, new ones were completely flat.

The conclusive shot. That's a straightedge across the main pressure plate. That surface should be completely straight as you can see it's not. It's fucked.

I need to say nothing further.
AWDmoke, astralex and nick73 like this.

Last edited by dazdavies; 26-07-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 26-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Sir AntiLag

Here's a picture of the new clutch for comparison btw. No grooves on this plate.

Old 26-07-2017, 07:34 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post
You're saying the car isn't reliable. I don't agree with that at all. I do agree that it wasn't but since I've sorted all the inherited issues out it is. You're failing to grasp the key difference between then and now. Let me be clear on that so it sinks in.
A car is reliable up until the point shit goes wrong, at which point it isnt reliable anymore. Not the other way around. Once shit goes wrong, that status of being reliable dissapears. As i said before, reliability and having multiple shitty engine failures are mutually exclusive.

We seem to be going round in circles here. So ill try and explain it with another analogy. Reliability is like an egg shell. You can break an egg shell, but you sure as shit cant un-break it. Once that reliability is broken, you cant un break it. You can make a tasty omelette, but it will never be a whole egg again.

You think your car is reliable now? Did you also think it was reliable before the head cracked? And did you think it was reliable before the valve smoothie?

Last edited by Bram; 26-07-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Tags
10, hawkeye, oem reliability., reliable ej25