Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nauli

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Bosschop at standard level
Default Looking for advice about turbo and boost

Just bought a 07 wrx yesterday. Has a vf34 turbo, Sti tmic, 3inch tbe, blow off valve, pod filter, and manual boost tee. It does not have a boost gauge and I have no idea how much boost it is running. I've been told it's had a tune. It seems to have a tune as it runs rich and high rpm on cold start up for certain amount of time. And it seems to be well tuned.

I need to find it what boost in running and adjust. Which of the following should I do

1. Install a boost gauge, go for a drive and adjust boost to say 15psi? ( what is acceptable boost for above mods? Id most like go 2psi under as its just a daily and I want to look after it)

2. Install factory boost solenoid and forget about it. (if I do this, will it just adjust to around 14-15psi and everything else be fine?)

3. See a tuner and spend money to get it tuned and adjust boost. (my least preferred option as I assume this will cost 500+ which I'm not prepared to spend right now).

Hopefully you guys can help. Thanks

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Old 17-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Not sure what you want to achieve...you say it's well tuned.
Not sure where you're located, but the simple thing would be to find out who tuned it and ask them to put a laptop on it and tell you the boost it's running...
Mick likes this.
Old 17-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

As above. Also, if you're not prepared to spend "over $500" for peace of mind and know what your car is doing and where it's at in terms of engine behaviour, you purchased the wrong vehicle. The tune is critical and what is between you and a 6-10 grand engine rebuild. Find out who tuned it and speak to them at the very least.

As an aside, you can get a Bluetooth adapter on eBay for your OBD port and use a phone app called 'Torque'. It lets you monitor various engine information, including boost level.
Old 17-05-2017, 11:51 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Mick at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosschop View Post
Just bought a 07 wrx yesterday. Has a vf34 turbo, Sti tmic, 3inch tbe, blow off valve, pod filter, and manual boost tee. It does not have a boost gauge and I have no idea how much boost it is running. I've been told it's had a tune. It seems to have a tune as it runs rich and high rpm on cold start up for certain amount of time. And it seems to be well tuned.

I need to find it what boost in running and adjust. Which of the following should I do

1. Install a boost gauge, go for a drive and adjust boost to say 15psi? ( what is acceptable boost for above mods? Id most like go 2psi under as its just a daily and I want to look after it)

2. Install factory boost solenoid and forget about it. (if I do this, will it just adjust to around 14-15psi and everything else be fine?)

3. See a tuner and spend money to get it tuned and adjust boost. (my least preferred option as I assume this will cost 500+ which I'm not prepared to spend right now).

Hopefully you guys can help. Thanks

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
For piece of mind take it to a reputable workshop $500+ is less than a cost for a potential rebuild. They can also advise as you appear not to have a full understanding of your cars level of tune!

Tags
advice, boost, turbo