Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   New STI - Spoke to Dealer about adding CBE - Claims no Engine or Trans Warranty ! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/68364-new-sti-spoke-dealer-about-adding-catalytic-convertor-back-exhaust-claims-no-engine-trans-warranty.html)

AJ_Clark 15-06-2017 01:00 PM

New STI - Spoke to Dealer about adding CBE - Claims no Engine or Trans Warranty !

Hi all, I just joined the Subaru family with a (demo) 2017 WRX STI. I love the car and was able to get a good deal (since it's being replaced my the MY18) along with the 5 year warranty. After a week or two driving it, I decided I wanted a little more exhaust noise and I thought before I purchase a cat-back exhaust I'll drop my dealer a line and see what I'm in for regarding the warranty.

I expected to just lose the warranty on the exhaust, which is fine, I wouldn't expect them to replace that, but they stated that I would not only lose my warranty on the exhaust, [b]but also on the engine and transmission[/b] as [quote]The cat back exhaust will increase boost and power and as a result we will no longer honor the warranty on those components.[/quote]

This response came directly from the operations manager at the dealership.

I'm not going to risk a 5 year warranty for the sake of the exhaust, but I was a little surprised at the response, given that Subaru USA offer a cat back as an official add-on. It would be nice to have a little flexibility with the car.

Has anyone with MY15+ STI had to make an engine or transmission warranty claim with a simple modification like this? If so, was it honored? I've know I could obviously run the CBE and replace it if I had to visit the dealership for warranty repair, but I don;t have a heap of room in the garage to store an extra exhaust 'just in case'.

Cheers,

Andrew.

JRecardo 15-06-2017 01:12 PM

It might be worth having a chat to Maximum Motorsport, I believe they have a close relationship with Subaru and have been able to fit exhausts in some cases while retaining a warranty. I'm sure they could point you in a better direction.

phizzle 15-06-2017 04:29 PM

It's an EJ series boxer engine built by Subaru, sooner or later a big end will fail. The 6 speed is one of the more stronger gearboxes going around now (not even remotely close to the glass 5 speeds in the late 90s and early 00s) and unless you are flat shifting every gear change and clutch dumping at 7500rpm at every intersection it will outlast the engine. Ask ANY production transmission with maybe the exception of a top loader to take constant abuse without a sacrificial clutch/pressure plate combo and it will end in tears. Smash an exhaust on to suit your tastes/budget and enjoy the sound! What power and boost increase with a nice safe tune we are talking about will not harm the driveline outside of its capabilities but will totally transform the way the car feels and sounds. The usual shopping list is MAC 3 port boost solenoid, upgraded fuel pump, tune of your choosing (not ABSOLUTELY necessary but certainly a bit of insurance to make sure everything is in spec) and an exhaust. Enjoy the forum and your new set of wheels!!

nick73 15-06-2017 07:35 PM

Get in touch with Subaru Australia about your warranty with mods.

If you tune with ecutek apparently your new car warranty is covered - don't quote me on that though.

You won't need a fuel pump upgrade if you're just doing tbe and tune.

nauli 16-06-2017 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=AJ_Clark;847389]Hi all, I just joined the Subaru family with a (demo) 2017 WRX STI. I love the car and was able to get a good deal (since it's being replaced my the MY18) along with the 5 year warranty. After a week or two driving it, I decided I wanted a little more exhaust noise and I thought before I purchase a cat-back exhaust I'll drop my dealer a line and see what I'm in for regarding the warranty.

I expected to just lose the warranty on the exhaust, which is fine, I wouldn't expect them to replace that, but they stated that I would not only lose my warranty on the exhaust, [b]but also on the engine and transmission[/b] as

I'm not going to risk a 5 year warranty for the sake of the exhaust, but I was a little surprised at the response, given that Subaru USA offer a cat back as an official add-on. It would be nice to have a little flexibility with the car.

Has anyone with MY15+ STI had to make an engine or transmission warranty claim with a simple modification like this? If so, was it honored? I've know I could obviously run the CBE and replace it if I had to visit the dealership for warranty repair, but I don;t have a heap of room in the garage to store an extra exhaust 'just in case'.

Cheers,

Andrew.[/QUOTE]

In fact a [U]catback[/U] exhaust will not increase boost or power, so they are talking shite....

phizzle 16-06-2017 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=nick73;847405]You won't need a fuel pump upgrade if you're just doing tbe and tune.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned for cheap insurance, probably more relevant to cars 5+ years old but meh

AWDmoke 17-06-2017 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=AJ_Clark;847389]Hi all, I just joined the Subaru family with a (demo) 2017 WRX STI. I love the car and was able to get a good deal (since it's being replaced my the MY18) along with the 5 year warranty. After a week or two driving it, I decided I wanted a little more exhaust noise and I thought before I purchase a cat-back exhaust I'll drop my dealer a line and see what I'm in for regarding the warranty.

I expected to just lose the warranty on the exhaust, which is fine, I wouldn't expect them to replace that, but they stated that I would not only lose my warranty on the exhaust, [b]but also on the engine and transmission[/b] as

[/QUOTE]

You need to never go to that dealership again.

My son bought a MY17 demo WRX and the dealership actually encouraged him to get a cat back, saying that it definitely would NOT affect his warranty.