Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   What boost?? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/7019-what-boost.html)

wannabe 29-08-2006 11:08 AM

What boost??

hi, im very new to the world of wrx's and turbo's. i had a look thru but couldnt see any other thread so i apoligise if this has been asked before which it probably has :o .
i just bought a 1997 WRX hatch, the motor seems std ( as in no filter mods, no aftermarket BOV etc ) but has a 3" turbo back exhaust. inside it has a blitz turbo timer that also has a boost controller option ( but i cant figure out how to change it and the book is all japanese, not one english word except BLITZ!! :) ). the boost gauge reads 9psi on full throttle and on a cold night i think it hit 10psi. what is the std boost they usually run and what can i safely run without going overboard ( as in regards to compensating for any spikes that may happen and not blowing up the turbo/engine )???? :confused:
thanks for any help in advance ;)

Adr3naL1N 29-08-2006 11:35 AM

i think its something like 12.75 or sumething?? sum1 can clarify, but yeah if ur running at 9-10 its def under. With the car you have i wouldnt boost iot over 15psi especially with a manual boost controller as you will get spikes, boost cut is at 17psi and you dont wanna hit it, it gives a sudden jolt to ya car and doesnt feel good. So yeah 15psi n you should be right, just t obe safe from spiking boost.

wannabe 29-08-2006 11:43 AM

cheers for that, looks like ill have to find out why its so low then hey?? doesnt smoke from exhaust and sounds fine engine wise. thanks again, will look into it some more. :D

jester 29-08-2006 12:11 PM

also depands on what model turbo as to to what standard boost it comes with.
15psi will keep u safe, if u get spikes everynow and then and hit cut a simple fix is to buy a little 1 way windscreen washer valve to stop the boost going through the solenoid causing the ecu to cut fuel/ignition. nick vk u bot there 2. just play round with your controller, im sure u will figure it out, i have no experience with the blitz type but most i have seen u set the duty cycle which is how much the boost solenoid opens and closes to control boost then drive it, see what level it reaches and keep adjusting from there.......

Mister Two 29-08-2006 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=jester]also depands on what model turbo as to to what standard boost it comes with.
15psi will keep u safe, if u get spikes everynow and then and hit cut a simple fix is to buy a little 1 way windscreen washer valve to stop the boost going through the solenoid causing the ecu to cut fuel/ignition.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean MAP Sensor, if you block off the Solenoid, you end up building up infinite boost with no pressure getting to the Wastegate Actuator.

wannabe 29-08-2006 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=jester]also depands on what model turbo as to to what standard boost it comes with.
15psi will keep u safe, if u get spikes everynow and then and hit cut a simple fix is to buy a little 1 way windscreen washer valve to stop the boost going through the solenoid causing the ecu to cut fuel/ignition. nick vk u bot there 2. just play round with your controller, im sure u will figure it out, i have no experience with the blitz type but most i have seen u set the duty cycle which is how much the boost solenoid opens and closes to control boost then drive it, see what level it reaches and keep adjusting from there.......[/QUOTE]

cheers about the vk. thanks for the advice too! going to have another look at the timer/controller after work and see if i can sort it. aim for the 13psi mark i reckon! :) thanks again

wannabe 29-08-2006 12:42 PM

does anyone know the conversion for boost from kg/cm2 to psi?? my timer has it in kg/cm2 and i dont know what it equals!! :confused:

pmh 29-08-2006 01:22 PM

1 kg/cm2 = 14.5psi

Mister Two 29-08-2006 01:23 PM

1 kg/cm2 = 14.22334 psi

Damn ! Beat me to it... I think im closer though!

Edit: WooHoo.. 150 posts... WRX Hi Five Club

wannabe 29-08-2006 02:01 PM

so basically equal to 1 bar? 1kg/cm2 = 1bar? thanks peoples!! :) now al i gota do is figure out how to change it!!