Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion > Insurance Experiences
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 PM
STI Master

Slap Dash knows their stuff

I've gloated enough about how much I pay per Month/Year for my Insurance with RAC

But yes cannot highly recommend them enough.Also while I'm here FYI, I got advised this week the RAC as of the 9th of February are changing their policy from 30% agreed value on top of Market Value, changing to 50%. So if you want to make sure you get the right value for your car in the event of an incident. Call them on the Monday 10/2 to increase your agreed Value by that extra 20% (This will increase your premium but only by a small amount).

Now regarding the recent question, as far as I'm made aware (remember I work in IT not insurance) the RAC only cares how much power you make over stock quoted figured.

The RAC has a certain percentage (%) it deems acceptable. They base these figures on the quoted power from the manufacture, which AFAIK is from the crank/flywheel. Were you to advise your dyno made less or slightly more than the quoted amount ATW/ATH & it fell within what they deemed an acceptable tolerance of increase, you should be fine.
grumpyrex and RJ999 like this.

Having a modern day PC without an SSD is like hiring a hooker for hugs.......

Last edited by Slap Dash; 06-02-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Trav- So do you quote dyno kw to them if they dont ask? It makes no sense quoting less than stock kw which is atw LOL...

The question they ask is "did the mods increase the hp rating of your car?" Answer would be "no" as long as you're not over the stock ~210kw (doesn't matter wheel or fwheel, they don't ask and dont specify wheel or fwheel hp!)
Old 07-02-2014, 12:28 AM
STI Master

Slap Dash knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
Trav- So do you quote dyno kw to them if they dont ask? It makes no sense quoting less than stock kw which is atw LOL...

The question they ask is "did the mods increase the hp rating of your car?" Answer would be "no" as long as you're not over the stock ~210kw (doesn't matter wheel or fwheel, they don't ask and dont specify wheel or fwheel hp!)
The insurer will typically Red-book or use another information resource to obtain the quoted stock HP/KW supplied from the manufacturer.

Remember, with each insurer they're acceptable & non acceptable modifications. They typically have a list & AFAIK with the RAC they must be Legal Modifications (Grey Area).

Regarding "did the mods increase the hp rating of your car?"

Vehicle insurance is an honesty system. You try to screw over the insurer:

Do the right thing & be honest, provide as much information as possible that you are aware of & at the best of your knowledge (Don't play dumb) & you will be looked after.

Personally this is where I would advise truthfully.

A) "Yes the Modification(s) did increase the HP rating of my Vehicle from the Manufacturers Quoted Figure. Supply Dyno information accordingly

*RAC will review & apply tolerances allowed*

B) "No the Modification(s) didn't increase the HP rating of my Vehicle from the Manufacturers Quoted Figure"

RAC has a list, If your modifications fall under this list, the consultant will typically escalate & or request Dyno figures accordingly(eg. Turbo Upgrades).

*RAC will review & apply tolerances allowed*

Yes you may be rejected in certain circumstances but you can contest, provide more information & escalate accordingly.. However In all seriousness, No point looking for loopholes & then having an investigator reject your claim based on you failing to Truthfully supply information. Be truthful, Provide factual & supporting information & you should be fine
Straner and RJ999 like this.

Having a modern day PC without an SSD is like hiring a hooker for hugs.......

Last edited by Slap Dash; 07-02-2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:49 AM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

For sure...all my mods and everything I do is approved by the RAC and underwriting. No problems here, the day they ask me for a dyno chart(say when I change turbo) or hp figure I will happily provide,RAC is awesome for Wrx insurance.

my question was more out of curiosity to try understand if they cared about the hp only past manufacturer hp...sort of option b is what most people get asked after tbe and answer like said above unless its making over the manufacturer figure.
Slap Dash likes this.

Last edited by RJ999; 07-02-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 AM
STI Master

SKYHIONPSI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavx4 View Post
damn SGIO sent me a renewal letter with Agreed Value of $13,850, $550 excess and monthly premium of $148.
I am 26 and I haven't even got a point deducted since i got my license.
You could try upping your excess to $1000 which might lower your monthly premium? Do they give a discount for paying for 12 months of insurance up front?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:43 AM
Scoobie Noobie

ddf555 at standard level

Iv just brought a 2013 WRX RS40 and got a good quote on insurance through alliance $826 a year with $400 excess and 3 year replace my car with new one if it gets written off.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 07-02-2014, 12:36 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

mavx4 at standard level

reason I didn't go with RAC at that time was I didn't know my hp figures with all my mods and RAC person told me I had to get HP figures after I told her I have TBE and CAI. the fact that the person on the phone wouldn't let me finish my sentence and she had an Asian accent so thick that I could barely understood what she was saying (and I am Asian) pissed me off.

You still pimping RAC Trav?

19.5psi tune 271.6HP@6000 351.3NM@4700
Old 07-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

If it was an STi that figure would double mate...

just the way it is with insuring Wrxs and STis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddf555 View Post
Iv just brought a 2013 WRX RS40 and got a good quote on insurance through alliance $826 a year with $400 excess and 3 year replace my car with new one if it gets written off
Old 07-02-2014, 12:41 PM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

I might give RAC a call depending on how AAMI take my call regarding modifications to the vehicle this afternoon.

Is it okay just to switch insurers, or do you need to get your renewal notice before you can move?
Old 07-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

You can switch anytime JR... I switched from aami to RAC ages ago...

remember to mention Travis for extra sticker bitch discount

Edit: I am joking, do not mention Trav LOL

Last edited by RJ999; 07-02-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Jokes LOL

Tags
insurance