Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/)
-   -   Hi every1! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/1475-hi-every1.html)

adamh 21-09-2005 06:58 PM

Hi every1!

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

Bought my wife a 98 wrx for christmas. She loves it. The problem is that I love it too now and she complains when I take it to work on the odd occasion and told me to get one of my own. Not being one to argue I've decided to take her up on that. I'm going to inherit just enough cash soon to get a MY99 (just waiting on an insurance company to pay up). I'll be wanting to make mine a bit faster than stock.

I know bugger all about cars. I wanted something fast and she wanted something with 4 doors... I bought this one for her cause it has had a violet pearl mixed with some clear and sprayed over it. Looked kinda girly to me. Was going to get her some pink lights under it but these forums seem to think that's gay lol. Just needs some nice wheels, and a decent MP3/cd player methinks. Any suggestions?

As far as I know the things non standard are a blow off valve, turbo timer, presure guage on the dash? (which I dunno how to use), that front spoiler and the rear wing (which I was told is from an STI whereas this isn't an STI).

Anyways I think we'll be joining in the cruise on Sunday so if anyone can come say "hi" would be cool. Pics below.

Adam & Emma

[I 86 I] 21-09-2005 07:37 PM

Hi and welcome

The rear spoiler on your car looks more like the 22B style one, which isnt a bad thing if rear wings are your style.
Front spoiler or lip looks like a jetspeed style lip

Your pressure gauge is prob your Boost pressure, so keep an eye on it from time to time to check that your boost isnt spiking and its running somewhat smoothly :)

Get rid of your blow off valve as they are gay and just attract cops, and your turbo timer is prob better for a doors jammer thingy lol.

Nice looking car tho mate. You will find alot of info on here and a great bunch of guys and girls. Great cruises too.

Mods to look at doing if you go down that path are the usual
: 3 " turbo back stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust (phew thats a mouthful)
: upgrade intercooler to bigger topmount or even front mount, altho you could just fit intercooler sprays (can be a DIY job for about $15)
: Lowered springs
: Anti lift kit
: K & N panel filter
: ECU either Link, EcuTeck, Haltech, Unichip or go hardcore MoTeC or Autronics.

Either way, hanging out on this forum WILL make you spend money lol

adamh 21-09-2005 07:51 PM

Yah we were thinking about getting the blow off valve removed and even got pulled over by a cop standing at a T junction the day after we bought the car because of it (what are the odds? at least he let us off) but never got around to it. It's grown on us since and we're now undecided.

I forgot that the exhaust isn't standard either. Wife likes the spoiler. Mine wont have 1.

Thanks heaps for the advice. I gotta tell you that I have a vague idea what an intercooler is, no idea what an anti lift kit or a K & N panel filter is or what ECU stands for lol... I might research that. Some advice on where to start for a 100% newbie would be great.

Moved to Perth recently and realised we're friendless. Look forward to meeting people here. :D

[I 86 I] 21-09-2005 08:51 PM

[QUOTE]I gotta tell you that I have a vague idea what an intercooler is[/QUOTE]
This is the big black radiator type thing ontop of your motor. Most people get a front mounted one that looks like a giant silver radiator in the front bumper. These help to cool down your inlet temps.
[IMG]http://www.antilag.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1433[/IMG]

[QUOTE]no idea what an anti lift kit or a K & N panel filter is[/QUOTE]
Anti lift kit will help stop your nose from lifting when putting power into a corner when exiting and when doing big launches hehe and the
K&N panel filter is a replacement air filter that fits inside your big black plastic box in your engine bay( you will see it to the left of your engine bay when you open your bonnet)
The k&n is the most common replacemtn and is a better freer flowing unit compared to the stock paper filters.

[QUOTE]or what ECU stands for [/QUOTE]
Electronic Control Unit (???) mental blank right there. Its the main thing that runs your car. Controls all the electronics and sensors and basically makes your car work. After market ones help to unlock power and tune to certain needs. The Standard ECU is pretty restricted and is designed for engine safety, keep emissions at safe levels and is tuned to keep it fail safe (ie: incase of poor maintenance, harsh conditions etc)

First mods are usually exhaust (which u already have) and then filter (ie: K&N etc). Then its usually lowered springs (something like King Springs) to firm up the ride and give it a nicer look.
After that, most people get a front mounted intercooler fitted (like in the pic above) but this can be costly. There are some china spec modles for sale as cheap as $800 and can be fitted by yourself in a few hours, otherwise there are plenty of workshops that would do it.... for a costly price lol.
Then there is the boost controllers which is pretty self explanitory.... controls your boost and allows you to up the boost .... the higher the boost, the more power you will make (generally but not always the case as in too higher amounts can blow your engine)

The mods are endless and a hour on these forums will show you that way too many people on here have too much money......... but we all gotta have our toys ;)

pmh 21-09-2005 09:03 PM

ECU - engine management system, Electronic Computer Unit

lots of info around on this

do a search and you'll be surprised what you'll find here

welcome onboard btw

adamh 21-09-2005 09:16 PM

That was very helpfull. Found a lot of stuff on the net too but your explanations I could understand more easily. It's nice to be able to look at the motor and know what some of the stuff is now too lol. Thanks.

Rexilla 21-09-2005 11:26 PM

howdy..........

Gunn 22-09-2005 08:58 AM

Hey adamh,
I've only been a prt of this group for a few weeks, but I've already changed my exhaust and I'm looking toi do other stuff too. w arghh x wasn't joking about spending lots of money, but it's worth it. I've asked and received great advice from members. your wrx looks nearly as gfood as mine lol.

Cheers gunn