Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/)
-   -   New member from Canada (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/46686-new-member-canada.html)

MKM 05-01-2012 10:14 AM

New member from Canada

Hello all,

My name's Matt and I'm from Edmonton Alberta Canada. I'm the owner of a 93 GC8 and I love it. For any of those not aware, Canada did not get the WRX until 2002, so this is a JDM import which is very common in Canada now, anything older than 15 years is up for import.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out, I have a boost leak from my IACV. The seal behind the IACV has shrunk and fits very loose, the one way valve seal is also somewhat worn. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Subaru canada "does not have access" to this part (which means they aren't willing to contact internationally). I cannot seem to find anything via google. I am hoping someone could direct me to finding these two parts.

Thanks for the help!

Mister Two 05-01-2012 10:41 AM

Welcome.

The seal between the intake manifold and IACV is a metal shim gasket. Unless someone has replaced it with their own sheet of rubber or something similar, it shouldnt shrink. But if the metal shim gasket gets kinks or dents in it, it may not seal properly again.

Both the metal shim gasket and one way valve should be able to be sourced from the USA though.

Kato 05-01-2012 11:13 AM

Worst case scenario, try emailing japanparts.com

MKM 06-01-2012 02:12 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two;640980]Welcome.

The seal between the intake manifold and IACV is a metal shim gasket. Unless someone has replaced it with their own sheet of rubber or something similar, it shouldnt shrink. But if the metal shim gasket gets kinks or dents in it, it may not seal properly again.

Both the metal shim gasket and one way valve should be able to be sourced from the USA though.[/QUOTE]

When I had the two pieces out, it appeared that the one way valve was a rubber coated metal shim piece, with the metal flexing and acting as the one way valve. It was however coated with rubber. There is another larger cylindrical seal that the metal one way shim/valve sits against. That seal fits so loose it would fall out if the front end was elevated.

To clarify, this is not the IACV gasket that fits around the outside, sealing the IACV to the manifold. I am wondering about the two seals that fit sitting just inside the intake manifold to the front of the car from where the IACV mounts. The outer gasket is readily available here, but the two inner pieces I cannot find. I have googled and googled and cannot find any listings or information on these two parts anywhere (it is possible I am not using the right search terms though).

Mister Two 06-01-2012 08:26 AM

AH Ok.

I have the two part numbers you need.

22657AA000 - One way valve
22660AA000 - O-ring

Kato 06-01-2012 08:28 AM

Could you post a picture up?

MKM 08-01-2012 02:53 AM

Thanks for the part #'s. Do you know if that is an actual O ring? In my research I discovered someone who had been shipped an actual O ring because it was a replacement for the older cylindrical seal. I would like to post pictures, but I don't want to pull my intercooler and IACV to remove them.
I've made contact with a member of the forum JDMvip who resides in NZ who has offered to source and ship the parts from Subaru. Thanks for the time and support.

**Edit: Here is a link showing the original seal which actually corresponds to the part number you gave me. Not sure if Subaru Australia would still have access to the original part.

[url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1925510[/url]

Mister Two 08-01-2012 04:10 AM

Its not a typical O-ring. Its quite thick. One side is flattened and one side is rounded. IIRC.

In that picture in the thread you linked above... The one on the left is the correct O-ring.

MKM 08-01-2012 06:26 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two;641698]Its not a typical O-ring. Its quite thick. One side is flattened and one side is rounded. IIRC.

In that picture in the thread you linked above... The one on the left is the correct O-ring.[/QUOTE]

Yes, which is what I have. The OP of that thread I linked to was shipped that part because the part number you supplied had been discontinued in Canada. So in australia, the # you supplied refers to the original one on the left?

Mister Two 08-01-2012 12:04 PM

Yes...

MKM 08-01-2012 02:16 PM

Thanks

MKM 10-01-2012 06:48 AM

If anyone is interested, here's a link to some photos and info on my car...
[url=http://forums.jdmvip.com/Matts_93_WRX_Import_Discussion_Videos_amp_Photos_Of_JDM_Cars-4089-t]Matt's 93 WRX - JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions[/url]

thebish 10-01-2012 08:01 AM

Cool. You guys are rhd over there. Learnt me today's new thing!

reconus 10-01-2012 08:16 AM

Welcome to Perth-WRX!

Clean car for a place thats always snowing/wet

MKM 11-01-2012 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=thebish;642120]Cool. You guys are rhd over there. Learnt me today's new thing![/QUOTE]

Don't go home and tell your family just yet! We are a LHD country, however we can import RHD vehicles once they are 15 years old.

It does snow and rain here ALL the time. I'm in Edmonton Alberta, we get mild summers (Low to mid 20c) and cold winters. This winter has been exceptionally dry and mild, finally cooled off today after well over a month of unseasonably warm weather.

As for the cleanliness, it has been in Canada for about 3 years and had new paint shortly after it arrived. Still looks pretty good. It was not a very high quality paint job, so close inspection leaves something to be desired.

[I 86 I] 11-01-2012 10:20 AM

[I]"Is it true, that if your Canadian and you don't have false front teeth...that your not a TRUE Canadian??"[/I] ;)
Good to see a new member from the other side of the world. What made you choose to import such an early model over buying something like a 04 etc?

reconus 11-01-2012 10:28 AM

Canada uses Kilometers & Liters no? Last timei w as there was 9 years ago so, cant really remember

MKM 12-01-2012 03:18 PM

[QUOTE='[W ARGHH X];642448'][I]"Is it true, that if your Canadian and you don't have false front teeth...that your not a TRUE Canadian??"[/I] ;)
Good to see a new member from the other side of the world. What made you choose to import such an early model over buying something like a 04 etc?[/QUOTE]

I have never heard the false front teeth thing before... I suppose it could be true. I should check my own....

I mentioned earlier, we are able to import a right hand drive vehicle (Canada is left hand drive) once the vehicle is 15 years old. Thus, a 04 is not an option.

We do indeed use the metric system km/L' s it is!

[I 86 I] 12-01-2012 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=MKM;642799]I have never heard the false front teeth thing before... I suppose it could be true. I should check my own....

I mentioned earlier, we are able to import a right hand drive vehicle (Canada is left hand drive) once the vehicle is 15 years old. Thus, a 04 is not an option.
[/QUOTE]

The false teeth thing is a joke my canadian friends used to say. Due to their love of ice hockey and punch ups. Shit joke is shit I guess :(

I was just wondering what the interest was, in regards to owning a older model wrx, RHD with lack of local parts support. Are the early model import wrx's fairly cheap there? RHD novelty? etc :D

MKM 13-01-2012 04:55 AM

[QUOTE='[W ARGHH X];642805']The false teeth thing is a joke my canadian friends used to say. Due to their love of ice hockey and punch ups. Shit joke is shit I guess :(

I was just wondering what the interest was, in regards to owning a older model wrx, RHD with lack of local parts support. Are the early model import wrx's fairly cheap there? RHD novelty? etc :D[/QUOTE]

The attraction for us is that Canada and the USA missed out huge on many of the legendary 90's japanese sports cars. We finally received the WRX in 2002, Canada received the EVO X when it came out. We had very limited number of cars like the 90's supra TT, Celica All-tracs. We had nissan 240sx, but in a 2.4L non-turbo, no skylines. The list goes on. Cars in Japan have low mileage and generally little to no rust and due to various factors in Japan (New car incentives, strict up keep regulations to re-register, cultural negativity towards owning someones used car etc.) they can be purchased at auction for practically nothing... Think $1200 canadian for a clean 95 WRX with 90,000K. With shipping and import fees one can have a performance car for less than $6000. My car cost me $5500, I have invested in maintenance and minor upgrades. With an intake, full exhaust, headers/up pipe and a tune I'm running 247HP at the wheels. It comes down to bang for the buck, nothing that can be purchased locally can even touch that level of performance for the dollar.

A 2002+ WRX sells for around $10,000 and will generally have 200,000KM and on its way to rust, bagged hard etc. That's probably going to be stock producing less power in stock trim as well. It weighs I think about 150KG more as well.

As far as parts, for the most part things are available to us. I could not find the seal locally, but due to the popularity of particularly the GC chassis WRX here, small tuner shops are supporting them. The internet also makes our lives much easier. We also had the impreza here in 93 in non-wrx form so basic parts are easily available.