Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgun View Post
Soksta, i see you have the ultrex exhaust is still fairly quietly and reasonable as a daily exhaust setup?
I only had the exhaust on the car for a couple of hours when that video was taken (the one on the Ultrex site) as I was helping to test the design.

It was noisier than the OEM setup and the drone that sits at 1600rpm was still there, but not as bad.
The noise that comes out of the exhaust is very nice though

It might be a good idea to send a PM to JamieBlade to see what he has to say about the exhaust, as he had one installed some time ago.

I'm currently using the stock down pipe and mid pipe, but have gone to a single exhaust on the left hand side of the car (custom diff back).
When the time comes I'll still use the stock mid pipe, but swap over the downpipe with something like the Turbo XS Stealthback.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soksta For This Useful Post:
showgun (18-11-2012)
Old 18-11-2012, 12:33 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

showgun at standard level

has anyone used a ezy flash pro? for ecu flash
Old 18-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

I agree with the others.. you buy an MY11/12 STI don't put cheap shit on it. ( I learnt that lesson).. I'm going with a good quality exhaust, suspension and tune when I can.
Old 18-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Sir AntiLag

STIMUL8IN at standard level
Send a message via Skype™ to STIMUL8IN

G'day, nice choice of car (but then I am biased ).

Yeah, I've got the Ultrex TBE. Very pleased with it. It fitted really well on all the hangers and went where it was supposed to. The only thing I had to tweak was the heat shield around where the oxygen sensor goes, because the Ultrex boss is about 30mm further back than the stock one was on mine - luckily the wire on the sensor was plenty long enough. But it was easy to do with a pair of pliers once I got it off.

As for noise, I love it, but my wife isn't so impressed, so it'll be personal choice if you think you like it or not. It's not cop bait noisy, but the note is great and really comes on song when in #S mode and foot on the floor But when coasting in gear on the freeway, you can't hear it at all (who does that anyway? lol).

As for the quality - I've not seen any other brands up close and personal, but the Ultrex one is made VERY well. The s/s thickness makes it solid and the welds are as good as any I've seen. The flanges all meet up perfectly and the quad pipes sit exactly where the stock ones did.

I did get mine tuned as soon as I fitted the exhaust, so I can't comment on if you NEED to get it tuned, but it seemed to drive ok on my way to AllStar, albeit off boost just in case I'm going back there next RnR to get the CAI re-done as Sean thinks he's cracked it now...fingers crossed Can't hurt to do it (apart from the money - but hey, you've bought a brand new STI, so money isn't a problem ) and it will give you a tiny bit more HP and Nm and more importantly, bragging rights when you get your curves printed

I was also gonna go down the sway bars, coilovers route, but decided against it. Having lived with the car for a year now, I'm happy with the stock STI ride and find it quite firm/low already compared to the WRX. With a baby on the way, any stiffer would not be good. I find I don't have any issues with understeer, so it's not something I feel I need to correct. My car with me at the wheel can be very tail happy With my lip kit, I already scrape the floor in most carparks too (some are now even entirely off limits - under Mullas, and one of the entrances into the Clarkson underground), so even lower would be a PITA.

Happy to give you a sound demo in my car and good look at it (from what you'll see lying on the floor lol) before you decide to buy if we can organise a time/place.

Cheers, JB
[CENTER]My other passion - facebook.com/[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]JamieWebsterPhotography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 18-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Sir AntiLag

Should also mention that Ultrex are VERY good to deal with and very well priced. Just read the 'Thanks Rob from Ultrex' thread. And local too
[CENTER]My other passion - facebook.com/[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]JamieWebsterPhotography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]

Last edited by STIMUL8IN; 18-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to STIMUL8IN For This Useful Post:
mitchwnz (18-11-2012)
Old 18-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98kellrs View Post
Welcome!

Please don't put cheap parts on your brand new STi. Get some sexy titanium pipes on there.
Explain to me the difference between some sexy titanium pipes and the ultrex stuff for performance?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-11-2012, 03:48 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

rufazz at standard level

I think it must be wank factor.

It could only give a weight saving and braging rights.
but if you wont to throw a extra say 1500 away on a titanium system go ahead
or what ever the diffrence is
Old 18-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Sir AntiLag

Aren't they just the tips too? I didn't really like the look for my car, but might look good on a blue one I guess...what little you'll see of them anyway...
Old 18-11-2012, 03:57 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

rufazz at standard level

over time titanium looks crap arfter couple of hundred heat cycles you can get blued stano tips that look the same anyways
Old 18-11-2012, 04:20 PM
STI Master

98kellrs at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Explain to me the difference between some sexy titanium pipes and the ultrex stuff for performance?
Who said anything about performance?! And since when did everyone get so tight arsed? Pure, 100%, undeniable wank factor.

If I could afford +$50k on a brand new performance car there's no way I'd kit it out with budget gear such as Rota's, Cheap coilovers and budget TBE's (all of which I have on my current vehicle).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tags
perth, wrx