Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/)
-   -   First WRX (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/59733-first-wrx.html)

george89 29-10-2014 11:30 PM

First WRX

5 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

I recently purchased my first WRX, an MY01 with a few mild mods.
As she is fairly new to me (one week) I am still finding out what has actually been done. Reading through the receipts, searching under the bonnet etc. So far this is what I have.

Fully adjustable suspension (don't know what brand they are yet, haven't looked into it)
Rota 18" Rims
Exhuast (not sure if cat back or turbo back yet)
SPT Cold air intake
Sony Xplod Multimedia center
De-badged and tinted lights.

I have been reading through old posts and trying to find out as much as possible about these bug eyes and what should be done. From what i understand the stock suspension set up had under steer issues, the first thing to go mechanically will be the gear box starting with 4th being an issue and that the up pipe on the exhaust hides a nasty little bottle neck of a catalytic converter.

Now I know it looks like I don't know much about my own machine but I will find out more as soon as I have some more time on my hands! Harvest is dragging on and this rain is being a real pain in the ass.

So far the shopping list is:

Either replace the SPT CAI with a COBB one or just buy the COBB enclosure. I really need this to be sealed up nicely as the gravel roads will dust a motor in no time at all. Also I'm not a fan of the current exposed pod 6" from a hot turbo. From what I have seen on here I shouldn't go to Bunnings and get a bin to make my own pod in a box!

Some subtle mud flaps or guards. They don't look good, but neither does gravel rash paint job.

A date at the panel beaters to get the 6 or so small dings taken out of it and maybe look at doing something about a few patches of peeling clear coat/ stone chips.

A Prodrive replica front lip.

Fog light covers

Gauge pod for dash clock area.

I have a few photos of her, this is before a quick bath and posing in front of my daily!

Calis 30-10-2014 12:46 AM

Nice rally track !

Top-Deck 30-10-2014 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=george89;810730]
Now I know it looks like I don't know much about my own machine but I will find out more as soon as I have some more time on my hands! [/QUOTE]

Congrats on the purchase mate, I'm sure you will have plenty of fun on that long gravel road in you pics ;) Don't worry too much re your quote above ^, the best way to learn is to just drive the car and see how it feels, if it feels great then who cares what brand of suspension etc is in it! Enjoy

Tiigga 30-10-2014 09:03 AM

Welcome to Perth WRX

Nice tidy looking wrx (sadly a bug) :P
and the gravel driveway will be a great test area

Now for the hate Rallyarmour flaps to dull the gravel damaged paint

mitchwnz 30-10-2014 09:21 AM

Welcome to Perth-WRX. Try not to ragequit after 1 week.

Jezza 30-10-2014 11:51 AM

Welcome, nice looking car you have there.

There is a wealth of information on here if you find the right people and the right threads.

Pending the sort of air filter your CAI has, you will either need to clean/replace the filter often or switch back to a stock airbox with a dry panel filter that you can change regularly as required.

I would be talking to the gravel rally guys to see what they run on their cars to prevent excessive dust. 'dtrally' and 'rally action' would be a good starting point.

Nothing wrong with mudflaps, but I think they might clash a bit with the current style of your ride.

Good luck with everything, and get involved. Beware of trolls.

joshrx 30-10-2014 02:29 PM

Welcome! Sounds like you're a bit cluey on the bugeyes.

If you go down the route of rallyarmor flaps, you may find they will almost always scrape the road at your ride height (more so the front than the rears). The high end urethane version will take the hits but it may crack your plastic surrounds (mounting points) over time. You could raise car a bit to counter this.

A Prodrive front lip will look awesome!

TROLLEY 30-10-2014 02:59 PM

Hi.

george89 30-10-2014 03:30 PM

Cheers for the info guys. I have had a bit of a google and haven't really been able to find somewhere in perth thst sells the rally armor gear, I really like the look of the general purpose mud flaps. I saw a group buy you guys did last year or something, so I think I missed that boat! Subaru quoted $300 or so for 4 oem, which I promptly dismissed as extortionate, they agreed.

I'd be keen to see what the rally guys have as air boxes because I think it really would have a fit for me. I have about 30kms of gravel from the farm to get to bitumin. The ride height will be raised shortly.

Cheers

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

joshrx 30-10-2014 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=george89;810787]Cheers for the info guys. I have had a bit of a google and haven't really been able to find somewhere in perth thst sells the rally armor gear, I really like the look of the general purpose mud flaps. I saw a group buy you guys did last year or something, so I think I missed that boat! Subaru quoted $300 or so for 4 oem, which I promptly dismissed as extortionate, they agreed.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

You'll need to buy rallyarmor products online from the US. You might be able to find them from an online aus shop, but cut out the middle man just order direct.

Call wreckers for them, you might get really lucky, as long as the mounting hardware is provided/still good.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app