Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/)
-   -   noob (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/68839-noob.html)

Peejay 28-08-2017 11:49 AM

noob

hey pwrx,
Long time lurker 1st time poster, just thought I would finally post up here to thank everyone for all the information ive gathered from here over the last couple of years, so yeah Thanks.

Anyway I have an 09 wrx sedan completely stock no big plans for it.
I have secondary air pump cel which I'm going to disable with a tune also talked my wife into me getting an exhaust while this happens and maybe a cai (I know its just for noise what can I say I like it).Talked to a couple of tuners &
each one recommends different things like 3port solenoids, so yeah hence all the lurking.

Been trying to find an exhaust online seen a couple on carmods;
hyperflow
invidia q300 (seems to be popular)
invidia n1 (told to be loud)
I really don't mind either as long as there is not too much crackling or droning
These seem to be hard find accurate sound clips though.

any way thanks again and if you have any suggestions on exhausts would appreciate any info.

nick73 28-08-2017 07:38 PM

Xforce exhausts are hard to beat for value, sound and looks. Mine is still going strong after 5 years of abuse. No drone whatsoever. The Ultrex systems are meant to be very good also and available locally.

3 port bcs isn't needed if you're just getting a basic tune/tbe.

Peejay 28-08-2017 08:31 PM

Hey I've had a look at xforce and read mixed reviews about them so wasn't sure, but if yours is anything to go by then they can't be that bad.
Is yours mild or stainless steel?
The mild steel seems like a fair price but the stainless systems aren't far off the price of the others.

nick73 28-08-2017 08:39 PM

Stainless. Got it from EvoR.

Peejay 28-08-2017 08:51 PM

All good spoke to them today about tuning my car. They also said the 3 port was needed, and yeah I was only going for a basic tune had a 96 modded Rex and had a lot of dramas with that. So yeah basically just want a nice sounding daily.

mitchwnz 29-08-2017 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=Peejay;848465]All good spoke to them today about tuning my car. They also said the 3 port was needed, and yeah I was only going for a basic tune had a 96 modded Rex and had a lot of dramas with that. So yeah basically just want a nice sounding daily.[/QUOTE]
Hmmm I would shop around for your tunes to be honest. And I had 2 G3 WRX's, both with Butler TBE exhausts, and neither of them needed the boost solenoid.

Have a read of this article on NASIOC.
[URL="https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190530"]https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190530[/URL]

Peejay 29-08-2017 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=mitchwnz;848477]Hmmm I would shop around for your tunes to be honest. And I had 2 G3 WRX's, both with Butler TBE exhausts, and neither of them needed the boost solenoid.

Have a read of this article on NASIOC.
[URL="https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190530"]https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190530[/URL][/QUOTE]

that's some good reading...

tried ringing about 5 tuners 2 said that 3ports would make the car have a smoother boost curve the others said not needed..

but yeah its a mixed bag of fish with them so 5 different tuners with completely different costs. from $650-$1800..

any chance you could tell me how much you paid for your tbe and where you got it tuned?
thanks

matto20v 29-08-2017 06:45 PM

Remember this :

You get what you pay for.

John Ruskin Quote

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

Peejay 29-08-2017 09:12 PM

[QUOTE=matto20v;848485]Remember this :

You get what you pay for.

John Ruskin Quote

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's true to point though...
But where's the happy medium?

I'm not trying skimp by all means just want to pay a reasonable price for competent person to do good job and if I pay 3 times the price do I get 3 times the service...

Food for thought "Free beer always taste better than expensive ones"

mitchwnz 31-08-2017 09:37 AM

[QUOTE=Peejay;848482]any chance you could tell me how much you paid for your tbe and where you got it tuned?
thanks[/QUOTE]
Norm Butler did both my exhausts, I had an 08 WRX Hatch and an 11 STI Hatch.. amazing quality and sound, but you pay a premium for his work (I'd rather not mention the exact price on here sorry).

The first tune was done by MMS, it was an Ecutek.. Pretty nice tune overall. The second was done by ASG.. Again a good tune, paid around $1200.00 at the time but I don't think ASG are tuning cars anymore.

Peejay 31-08-2017 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=mitchwnz;848525]Norm Butler did both my exhausts, I had an 08 WRX Hatch and an 11 STI Hatch.. amazing quality and sound, but you pay a premium for his work (I'd rather not mention the exact price on here sorry).

hey thanks,
rang Norm Butler yesterday he said he was not doing exhausts at the moment...

The first tune was done by MMS, it was an Ecutek.. Pretty nice tune overall. The second was done by ASG.. Again a good tune, paid around $1200.00 at the time but I don't think ASG are tuning cars anymore.[/QUOTE]

spoke to MMS & Racetorque but they only tune with Ecutek... But I don't want to pay $500 for a license that I'm only gunna use once.
And ASG aren't Tuning anymore..

Peejay 31-08-2017 10:31 AM

Any used Racing Performance Works in Osborne park?

TROLLEY 31-08-2017 11:19 AM

That license pays for the intellectual property you are using while driving around every day. It's essentially a software license. Wanna play? Gotta pay. Cheap out, engine out.

Peejay 31-08-2017 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;848533]That license pays for the intellectual property you are using while driving around every day. It's essentially a software license. Wanna play? Gotta pay. Cheap out, engine out.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the tuner not the software that made the difference..
I was thinking cause it was just a basic tune that it would be ok..
Not after a power figure,flat foot shifting or launch control etc which seems to be the selling point everyone tries to offer

TROLLEY 01-09-2017 09:03 AM

Of course the tuner makes the difference. You get what you pay for. I'm simply outlining why that "fee" that so many people try to avoid, exists.

Feel free to take your car to a $600 tuner if you feel that ECUTEK tuners are taking the piss with their pricing.

nick73 01-09-2017 09:37 AM

Tokyos also do open source tuning. Have a talk with Jamie.

My experience with $600 tuners is they charge you again when something needs another adjustment. Both Lane from Racetorque and Jamie from Tokyos never charged me when little things needed correcting or adjusting within the tune. Obviously if you change parts or want to up the boost then expexct to pay for dyno time accordingly.

Peejay 01-09-2017 11:22 AM

Ok so the $650 tuner is out.
I was leaning towards tokyos but they were one of the places that recommended the 3port.

astralex 01-09-2017 11:29 AM

For the sake of a competent tune by a reputable tuner, is the cost of having a 3port installed at the recommendation of the tuner out of reach?

Peejay 01-09-2017 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=astralex;848562]For the sake of a competent tune by a reputable tuner, is the cost of having a 3port installed at the recommendation of the tuner out of reach?[/QUOTE]

nah I don't mind getting a 3port but a lot of people are saying they are not needed??

astralex 01-09-2017 11:51 AM

Maybe it's not needed, but you're not paying someone on here to tune your car, so if the tuner recommends it to be able to perform his job as competently as possible, then to me I'd just go with it. But that's just my 2c, which really isn't worth much. I don't even remember if I still own a Subaru seeing I haven't driven one for so long.

TROLLEY 01-09-2017 11:54 AM

I know another reputable tuner who is of the opinion that a 3 port is not necessary. What you do is choose your tuner, then roll with whatever they are comfortable with doing. If your chosen tuner is confident he can produce results without a 3 port, all good. If another feels it is required so that he is comfortable with how the car is handling boost, then so be it. Just have a chat with them and go with your gut instinct. Ask some questions (even if they're stupid - they're used to them, haha). Just don't choose based on price alone is all we're saying. Many of us have been around here and Subarus long enough to see results from various workshops/tuners and patterns that form over the long term.

Peejay 01-09-2017 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=nick73;848554]Tokyos also do open source tuning. Have a talk with Jamie.

My experience with $600 tuners is they charge you again when something needs another adjustment. Both Lane from Racetorque and Jamie from Tokyos never charged me when little things needed correcting or adjusting within the tune. Obviously if you change parts or want to up the boost then expexct to pay for dyno time accordingly.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;848565]I know another reputable tuner who is of the opinion that a 3 port is not necessary. What you do is choose your tuner, then roll with whatever they are comfortable with doing. If your chosen tuner is confident he can produce results without a 3 port, all good. If another feels it is required so that he is comfortable with how the car is handling boost, then so be it. Just have a chat with them and go with your gut instinct. Ask some questions (even if they're stupid - they're used to them, haha). Just don't choose based on price alone is all we're saying. Many of us have been around here and Subarus long enough to see results from various workshops/tuners and patterns that form over the long term.[/QUOTE]

thanks so will do a bit more ringing around today..
Tokyos was around my budget for a tune.. around a $1000 for open source
but if MMS or Racetorque was only little bit more I wouldn't hesitate but $700 more is just a bit too much (hence the ecutek??)...
if I was planning on doing on doing future mods it would be beneficial but I'm not..

nick73 01-09-2017 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=Peejay;848566]thanks so will do a bit more ringing around today..
Tokyos was around my budget for a tune.. around a $1000 for open source
but if MMS or Racetorque was only little bit more I wouldn't hesitate but $700 more is just a bit too much (hence the ecutek??)...
if I was planning on doing on doing future mods it would be beneficial but I'm not..[/QUOTE]

HahahA no future mods!!!!! Fucking banstick you from this forum for talking that shite bro!!

Peejay 01-09-2017 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=nick73;848567]HahahA no future mods!!!!! Fucking banstick you from this forum for talking that shite bro!![/QUOTE]

Wow really dude!!!

matto20v 01-09-2017 08:59 PM

That got weird quickly...

Peejay 02-09-2017 12:12 AM

Yeah lol..
I did say from the start that I wanted to get a tune to disable a cell code and tbe and a cai (which I can get next to nothing off a mate) and it is my daily driver... but hey what ever floats your boat..

mitchwnz 02-09-2017 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=Peejay;848586]Yeah lol..
I did say from the start that I wanted to get a tune to disable a cell code and tbe and a cai (which I can get next to nothing off a mate) and it is my daily driver... but hey what ever floats your boat..[/QUOTE]
I hope you realise he was taking the piss :D. Internet is very serious business.

My 2 cents are that a tune is rather important. If your engine pops over $700.00 you'll be up for a lot more for a rebuild. Go on... ask me how I know *coughringlandcough*. I'm of the opinion that any modifications you do should we well thought out and never done on the cheap.. It's like shopping at Big-W for your shoes then complaining they gave you blisters and look like shit.

nick73 02-09-2017 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=Peejay;848586]Yeah lol..
I did say from the start that I wanted to get a tune to disable a cell code and tbe and a cai (which I can get next to nothing off a mate) and it is my daily driver... but hey what ever floats your boat..[/QUOTE]

My boat floated away a long time ago.

Don't tune beyond 17psi if it is your daily and you want it to last.

Post it up when you get it done.

Peejay 02-09-2017 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=mitchwnz;848525]Norm Butler did both my exhausts, I had an 08 WRX Hatch and an 11 STI Hatch.. amazing quality and sound, but you pay a premium for his work (I'd rather not mention the exact price on here sorry).

The first tune was done by MMS, it was an Ecutek.. Pretty nice tune overall. The second was done by ASG.. Again a good tune, paid around $1200.00 at the time but I don't think ASG are tuning cars anymore.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=mitchwnz;848591]I hope you realise he was taking the piss :D. Internet is very serious business.

My 2 cents are that a tune is rather important. If your engine pops over $700.00 you'll be up for a lot more for a rebuild. Go on... ask me how I know *coughringlandcough*. I'm of the opinion that any modifications you do should we well thought out and never done on the cheap.. It's like shopping at Big-W for your shoes then complaining they gave you blisters and look like shit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know couldn't help myself...
But I have a really addictive personality and I would end up single and have a very fast or broken car...just trying to show some restraint...
I can understand about tune, and if I didn't know any better I would say you's were all salesmen..and I think I might bite the bullet and spend that extra$...

P.s (babe I've seen a bigger turbo and I can get it tuned cheaper cause I have an ecutek license) lol

Peejay 02-09-2017 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=nick73;848594]My boat floated away a long time ago.

Don't tune beyond 17psi if it is your daily and you want it to last.

Post it up when you get it done.[/QUOTE]

I was planning on it, the missus got me on a budget!!! got to get to work somehow and start saving for a track car.. maybe in a few years when the kids are grown

I'll post up where I go and thoughts of the tune, but I'm sure most of guys will know once I say who I got it tuned from..

...As for the boat I think I saw it at freo...

mitchwnz 03-09-2017 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=Peejay;848599]I didn't know any better I would say you's were all salesmen..and I think I might bite the bullet and spend that extra$...[/QUOTE]
Haha former sales manager here, so technically yes.
I've just heard enough horror stories to know you need to do it right.