Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   The Law and Politics- Locally and Abroad (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/law-politics-locally-abroad/)
-   -   Power-weight vehicle restrictions for 17-25 year olds (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/law-politics-locally-abroad/48627-power-weight-vehicle-restrictions-17-25-year-olds.html)

Rally_Action 22-04-2012 06:36 AM

Power-weight vehicle restrictions for 17-25 year olds

May just be a case of "playing politics" at the moment, however sooner or later it will probably become legislation. No doubt members of this forum may feel the pain when it does come in.

[url=http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/new-novice-driver-rules-small-catch-up-opposition-police-spokeswoman-michelle-roberts/story-e6frg14l-1226335071769]New novice driver rules 'small catch-up' - Opposition Police spokeswoman Michelle Roberts | Perth Now[/url]

Rossco 22-04-2012 07:07 AM

About time if you ask me.

XT43 22-04-2012 08:07 AM

Although not in that article, I've always liked this quote.

[QUOTE]IF 18 is old enough to go to war then it's old enough to drive a V8 car. Premier Colin Barnett told PerthNow readers today during a live Q and A
[/QUOTE]

johnvk7 22-04-2012 08:10 AM

It easy to say its a good idea when it doesn't affect you.
If I was 21 and the laws were introduced and I could no longer drive my car, I would be f***ing spewing.

Marti 22-04-2012 08:17 AM

Not really the best idea, put the money into driver training and education

fsk 22-04-2012 08:18 AM

Owners who are in the age bracket when the law is passed would have to be exempt like in the Eastern states, luckily for them labor wont get in..

The age bracket is a little extensive if you ask me.. if you are a dickhead in your SS or Rex at age 25 your going to keep being a dickhead at age 30 and by then your by no means a novice driver!

If it did get in the value of GC8/180sx/VY SS/Any "performance" car under 20k would plummet without the young people market

forde 22-04-2012 08:20 AM

They would have to bring it in ,in stages. So for people born in 199x who are just getting their licence. I've already been driving my car for 2 years and i sure as hell aren't going to park it up for 4 years if these laws come in.

lad 22-04-2012 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=Drift_Marti;671181]Not really the best idea, put the money into driver training and education[/QUOTE]
Exactly! 17 to 25 year olds aren't the problem, we need major upgrades to driver training and complete retesting FOR EVERYONE. Will multinovas continue to reap ludicrous profits - yes. Will these profits be spent on upgraded driver training and retesting - no. Will any Australian citizens pull their finger out of their arse and do something about it - he'll no.

Joshiemitsu 22-04-2012 08:54 AM

She makes very generalised and sweeping statements about men up to 25 being "risk takers" show me some peer reviewed literature that backs that up...
Every individual is different and hence makes different choices, driving and otherwise. They want to tar everyone in that age group with the same brush and for what? The 0.2% of accidents, they themselves have said these new laws will impact upon?
Get F*cked IMO.

Patch 22-04-2012 09:45 AM

I can't believe that they have hard evidence stating that it's really not necessary to target high powered vehicles, and yet they're still carrying on as if it accounts for 99% of road deaths. If people are going to be dickheads on the road, they'll do it in anything. This sort of stuff just wrecks it for the majority who play it safe.

The passenger restriction laws they're juggling with too are a joke... all it's going to do is increase the number of people illegally driving, or it's going to result in mobs of people roaming the streets causing trouble. Taxis and public transport aren't an option for most like the government seem to think they are.