Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Local Motorsport (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/local-motorsport/)
-   -   Targa Tarmac Rally Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/local-motorsport/43215-targa-tarmac-rally-discussion.html)

CDR RA 03-07-2011 07:50 AM

Targa Tarmac Rally Discussion

Hey crew,

just thought I would launch a general thread for discussion of all things Targa and Tarmac rally and get it going by the recent announcement by Targa West (not surprisingly) to adopt the "Australian Targa Championship" (Octagon) rules.

Hopefulyl a good area for discussion on who is building what and what events you are planning to get to and any technical discusssion.

So for all those people prepping cars, maybe have a read of the 2011 supp regs for Targa Tas for some indication of where its heading. (see link below)

I think its good news all round for the future of tarmac rally. Maybe not such good news for people with cars built to the old tarmac rally regs, but long term having everyone on the same ste of regs is a good thing for the competitiors looking to do some of the east coats stuff. I would have thought it will certainly help Targa West numbers a little. As it stood I hadnt bothered with Targa West with my old car as it was primarily built to go east. Now it should be a very good thing for TW and if I still had it I would have given it a crack.

[url]http://targa.businesscatalyst.com/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=86626[/url]

TO: All QTW Competitors
RE: TECHNICAL REGULATIONS

Following on from our call for input from competitors regarding narrowing the gap between the CAMS Australian Targa Championship Technical Regulations and the current CAMS Tarmac Rally Technical Regulations used by QUIT Targa West we hereby advise, subject to CAMS Approval, our intention to allow vehicles that are eligible under the CAMS Australian Targa Championship Technical Regulations to participate in QUIT Targa West 2011. All Safety Items will be required to meet the CAMS Standards. Open top cars will not be allowed.

We welcome input or comments from all competitors, please email to [email]info@targawest.com.au[/email]

Regards
Ross Tapper

urabus 03-07-2011 11:49 AM

As of this year the differences between the two (for Evos / STi's anyway) were not that major.

Targa West 2010 allowed the use of 3" Exhausts which was long overdue.

The main thing now that you can do is run E85 and bigger wheels / tyres. I am not 100% certain but I dont think you could run a heated front screen under the old Targa West rules.

One stupid thing that I have picked up with my evo is that you can get fully homologated plastic windows. Targa Tas specifically says all windows must be glass whereas because they were properly homologated you could of run them at Targa West.

Brendon

Kato 03-07-2011 12:17 PM

So for those of us too lazy to read :D

+2" wheels both ways, 3" exhaust etc allowed? Free brakes up to 4 piston?

Still have to run the 5 speed or is there a class for a 6?

CDR RA 03-07-2011 03:34 PM

^^^ John,

one thing I am not sure of is if they are just picking up the technical regs, or also picking up the classes that Octagon run. There are further liberties for Early Modern cars over modern. Eg Homologated weight less 10% in EM, but limited to homologated weight in Mod.

But main ones are E85, 2"wider and 2" increase in diameter wheels. You can fit as big a set of brakes as you can fit. For memory gearbox must be same number of gears, although you might be able to run a dog box. (Have to read up and check) No sequential allowed unless it came with one.

Intercoolers are free to an extent. (max thickness 80mm?? for memory) Cant recall if you can go front mount on a WRX. (Not that I would personally) Obviously wasnt an issue on the EMO as they came factory with one. Can fit hard pipes etc as well. Must run factory airbox but can change intake pipe. Oil coolers are free. Radiators free.

Worth having a read John. Not too much to get through.

Kato 03-07-2011 03:52 PM

Yeah going to have good read. I think the octagon rules still want you to have the original style gearbox casing. It's the one thing that would make an old dakker reliable.

Like all the other stuff re tyres, brakes exhaust though!

dtrally 03-07-2011 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;581688] I think the octagon rules still want you to have the original style gearbox casing. [/QUOTE]

That, and the requirement to run 16" rims (and hence small brakes) were the 2 nails in the coffin for GC8's. The other thing was not homologated weight, but the weight of the road car (ie; complete trimmed heavy shit road going car with spare wheel and all) + cage + spare wheel weight...(again??? 2 x spare wheels weight, WTF?) Meaning GC8's had to run ballast (not that anyone ever did and they never nailed anyone on it)

I've started prepping a '05 shell, would really like to run it as a 2.5 litre/GTP-S02 twinscroll but that might be pushing my luck?

Kato 04-07-2011 08:02 AM

Can run 18's now Doug!

Super bling.

05 eh? +2" rims means you could fit some nice 19" chromies on it LOL.

(In all seriousness, 05 + 06 front end if they won't allow a 05 with 2.5L).

I'm trying to keep the rules in the back of my mind as Blaise/Brendon have attracted me to this Targa stuff, but I need to learn2drive first.

fatboy 04-07-2011 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=Kato;581865] but I need to learn2drive first.[/QUOTE]

I don't subscribe to people thinking they need to be the greatest driver on earth to go out and play!

Lots of people just go mout there to have fun, there is no need to drive outside of your limits and you certainly won't be looked down upon for playing it safe!

Just get out there and have fun!!!!!!!!!

CDR RA 04-07-2011 08:36 AM

^^^ Spot on. From what I saw, the majority of the field is just out having a good time. Probably only the tops 10 or so in the main classes having a red hot go.

Having a closed public road that you can drive at any speed and use any part of the road and know there isnt any oncoming traffic or other cars that arent race cars sharing it with you, is a pretty special experience regardless of how much you are attacking it. Just being a part of it is a huge buzz.

EXPLICIT 04-07-2011 10:37 PM

The more relaxed you are enjoying the driving freedom generally equates to getting faster as the event progresses anyway.