Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Local Motorsport (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/local-motorsport/)
-   -   First Time Racer (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/local-motorsport/54817-first-time-racer.html)

Wells97 05-06-2013 06:44 PM

First Time Racer

Looking into racing...
Im looking to start racing with a mate 50/50 split money and it needs to be a cheapish car....
What sort of racing events could a 16 and 17 year old do and what cars would be a good option :)
Thanks Guys

Tiigga 05-06-2013 06:52 PM

Slot car racing

kekekeke

in all seriousness there are some events BUT for the life of me I am unable to find the links.. am sure there's more advanced link finders than me that'll help you out wells

Wells97 05-06-2013 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=Tiigga;756857]Slot car racing

kekekeke

in all seriousness there are some events BUT for the life of me I am unable to find the links.. am sure there's more advanced link finders than me that'll help you out wells[/QUOTE]

Thanks :P I've had a quick google but meh didnt find anything
And what cars should i be looking at

Tiigga 05-06-2013 06:57 PM

They have some sort of motorkhana or autokhana events held at Midvale velodrome ..

baylee 05-06-2013 06:58 PM

Buy a registered front wheel drive shitbox. whack some 13-14" rally tyres..

enter:
Motorkhana's
Auto Cross's
KhannaCross's

Win..
Cheapest - best way to enter and be semi competitive & learn shitloads.. & be social, up to 3 drivers per car per event..
Just need cams licence, helmet, club membership, ankle to wrist clothing..

Bin car, move on. buy another..

lachy294 05-06-2013 07:02 PM

Id do RAC Skid pans first, which realistically for any car, learn what happens when you and your car gets to its limits. I've done 6? if not more RAC skid pan days and they are great fun.

Possibly Motorkhanas too that's good for getting low speed car control.

Then maybe move onto Tuning days at RAC, bit faster and more open corners. By this stage you might need to start worrying about brakes and tyres. Then move into circuit work eg no limits & collie. But when your happy with doing this you can probably do anything you want to.

This is assuming your still running your 206

dtrally 05-06-2013 07:04 PM

^^^ Yeah, what he said. But..I would say try to find someone to share with who has a car trailer or a small flatbed truck etc so you can buy unregistered bunky cars for a few hunge, thrash the shit out of them in low key motorsport and when it's broken take your extinguisher and harness out take the car to the scrap yard, get $100 and get another bunky off the gumtree the next week. That way no friendships get strained when one guy blows up or crashes your good race car. You all just have a good laugh.

fatboy 05-06-2013 07:09 PM

I would do something totally different to the above, I'd buy an HQ racer, cheap fun and as they are a single make class you need to really learn to steer them, not cool but tons of fun

I raced them for 6 years and had the time of my life!

Or I see over east a Hyundai excell class is starting, if that is happening here I think it is a winning idea!

Wells97 05-06-2013 07:20 PM

We were thinking a RWD But if this is a silly choice then tell me
what RWD shitboxs would be good for the above events
We obviously need to look into trailers and stuff....
Is there any rally events that would be good for us to enter into as noobss

I dont really wanna do HQ Racing i used to have a WB so im not too keen on them

So ill start out with some RAC events
Then do like some tunning days and the like
i like the look of motokhana and that
Thanks for the advice guys

dtrally 05-06-2013 07:21 PM

Yeah, but in Tasmania the HQ is still the current model Holden.......