Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Local Motorsport (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/local-motorsport/)
-   -   Future of RAC Track (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/local-motorsport/63633-future-rac-track.html)

alba 15-12-2015 11:44 AM

Future of RAC Track

I was reading some comments on Facecrack somewhere that RAC is slated for closure in 2017 due to airport expansion plans?

Anyone have any further/more reliable information?

Would be a shame to lose such a good venue, this would force moving entry level motorsports back to Midvale and we'd lose the MC events I'd assume. This would be a mistake imo, seen one too many curb excursions/rollovers into the ditch there.

Damo69 15-12-2015 11:46 AM

Has been ongoing for a while, I heard about it around 6 months ago, is a few trying to secure funding from some big dollar private cash types to set up a similar setup elsewhere.

JRecardo 15-12-2015 11:50 AM

Commenting to follow as I'm interested to hear of developments. It would be a huge loss to lose the venue IMO, hopefully something similar can be re-instated in its place if it does have to go.

Bram 15-12-2015 11:59 AM

oh noes. just whrlen i start getting into motorsport, they close it down.

Dan [GTI] 15-12-2015 12:07 PM

Can confirm there is a third runway to be built over the existing area. Unknown date this is likely to start construction, maybe late 2017 / early 2018.

Bram 15-12-2015 12:29 PM

Runways and taxi ways would make a pretty sweet race track. Perfectly smooth ashphalt, plenty of run-off space. lots of lights and beacons for brake points and turn in points. big long straights to really test the legs of your car.

alba 15-12-2015 12:59 PM

okay, found it in the masterplan....

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Alba76/media/Screen%20Shot%202015-12-15%20at%2011.47.22%20AM_zpslp4iw1ev.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Alba76/Screen%20Shot%202015-12-15%20at%2011.47.22%20AM_zpslp4iw1ev.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[url]http://www.perthairport.com.au/Libraries/Master_Plan_2014_Documents/WAC1333_PAMP_2014-04_Aviation_Development_SECURED_3.sflb.ashx[/url]

3rd runway to open by end of decade....

JRecardo 15-12-2015 01:16 PM

Any word or whispers around RAC and whether they would want to, or would have the resources to relocate and open something new? With all the driver training that happens there you would think it would need to be replaced with something.

Dan [GTI] 15-12-2015 01:23 PM

Yeah but they might only invest in skidpans, not a track, for driver training.

Is MC Motorsport a standalone business or are they affiliated with RAC (other then sharing facilities)?

Jezza 15-12-2015 01:45 PM

From what I hear, they are doing their best to make MC motorsport a profitable business that would attract investors.

They have the v8s, state sprints, tuning days etc - these events couldn't happen on standalone skidpan

Bram 15-12-2015 02:00 PM

building a new track is gonna a squillion dollars. I cant see it happenening TBH unless they score some serious dollars from somewhere.

teejay 15-12-2015 02:33 PM

Funds were raised once before...

Bram 15-12-2015 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=teejay;833675]Funds were raised once before...[/QUOTE]

but shit cost 10x more now. the amount of bullshit safety procedures and expenditure with road surfacing is phenominal. you can not scratch your arse these days without filing out a jsa,swms,take 5 and then getting it signed in triplicate. plus you will need to have at least 2 spotters watch to ensure you scratch your arse in a safe and orderly fashion. This all cost moneys.

Dan [GTI] 15-12-2015 03:08 PM

Should just take all the warning labels off everything, stop this safety-crazy culture, make people think about what they are doing and let natural selection clean up the gene pool.

scary 15-12-2015 04:29 PM

[QUOTE='Dan [GTI];833678'][I]Should just take all the warning labels off everything, stop this safety-crazy culture, make people think about what they are doing and let natural selection clean up the gene pool.[/I][/QUOTE]

not sure why you made this italics

Dan [GTI] 15-12-2015 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=scary;833679]not sure why you made this italics[/QUOTE]

[B]Fixed[/B] - not sure why I used them (?) definitely no sarcasm implied about idiots culling themselves.

matto20v 15-12-2015 05:27 PM

[QUOTE='Dan [GTI];833678']Should just take all the warning labels off everything, stop this safety-crazy culture, make people think about what they are doing and let natural selection clean up the gene pool.[/QUOTE]

The pendulum always swings. Warning labels will come off, but in a few years time. 10 years ago we got worried if someone was offended because we were going to be sued, now we can comfortably tell someone to go deal with their issues and come back when they've got it sorted.

The pendulum always swings.

That got deep....

Jacob92 15-12-2015 06:52 PM

worst case i live on acreage time to make a rally track

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

amtrapid 15-12-2015 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=Jacob92;833684]worst case i live on acreage time to make a rally track

using the Perth-WRX mobile app[/QUOTE]

Remember Jacob I'm a grader operator hint hint lol

ALLPAWS 15-12-2015 11:41 PM

Its been pretty good while it lasted. Ive always felt the RAC track's days were numbered. Hope some ppl can get together and get something similar happening not too far away from the metro area in the future.

nauli 16-12-2015 07:51 AM

It is true that the RAC complex's days are numbered...2017 possibly. There has been some discussion with the airport authority and there is a possibility that RAC may be offered an alternative parcel of land within the airport precinct on which to build another facility. Now what that facility may be is open to conjecture.
For those who don't know, MC Motorsport and its vehicles are part of RAC since they came as part of the package when RAC bought the complex from Steve Cherry and Kim Ledger. However, MC Motorsport does operate as an "independent" financial entity within the RAC DTEC complex. All of we MC casuals are on the RAC payroll. But there are MC staff who do sessions for RAC DTEC and vice versa.
Now whether MC Motorsport survives and is catered for if a new RAC complex is built is up in the air (I'm sure RAC haven't even decided)...however there is a strong groundswell of support from the motorsport community and among the MC employees to make it happen...time will tell.

TROLLEY 16-12-2015 10:53 AM

Going by the plan posted by alba, the runway goes right over the top of my old man's work - Patrick Transport. They only just built the new storage facility and moved there a couple of years ago. That's a bit unfortunate.

Mick 16-12-2015 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=nauli;833714]It is true that the RAC complex's days are numbered...2017 possibly. There has been some discussion with the airport authority and there is a possibility that RAC may be offered an alternative parcel of land within the airport precinct on which to build another facility. Now what that facility may be is open to conjecture.
For those who don't know, MC Motorsport and its vehicles are part of RAC since they came as part of the package when RAC bought the complex from Steve Cherry and Kim Ledger. However, MC Motorsport does operate as an "independent" financial entity within the RAC DTEC complex. All of we MC casuals are on the RAC payroll. But there are MC staff who do sessions for RAC DTEC and vice versa.
Now whether MC Motorsport survives and is catered for if a new RAC complex is built is up in the air (I'm sure RAC haven't even decided)...however there is a strong groundswell of support from the motorsport community and among the MC employees to make it happen...time will tell.[/QUOTE]

So lets get behind it, support the events for next year and hopefully get a new venue,bigger and better than before.

nick73 16-12-2015 09:54 PM

[QUOTE=Mick;833778]So lets get behind it, support the events for next year and hopefully get a new venue,bigger and better than before.[/QUOTE]

FuckenAmen!