Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Loggers
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By ZiN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

ZiN at standard level
Default Subaru Select Monitor on a MY99 WRX GC8 with Torque, FreeSSM and OBDKey

I wanted to check my boost just to make sure it was working as previously it had a boost leak and I just wanted to confirm it was still ok, I’d been advised it had been fixed and and probably the reason the previous boost gauge had to be removed.

I didn’t necessarily want to add a permanent boost gauge and I was planning on installing an Android stereo anyway so I started looking at several alternatives to get that information on the radio, as I thought it seemed cool to be able to enable it when I wanted to check it.

I started looking at ways to send boost sensor information and other data via video input, there is a solution for this but along the way I discovered OBD readers.

I ordered a cheap e-bay OBD USB reader, it ended up being an ELM327 type that won’t work in SSM mode, could read the transmission on a 2010 Impreza but not an MY99. The KKL VAG-COM 409.1 version might work if you want to try for a cheap solution. OBDII wasn’t supported in GC8’s in Australia, OBDII was supported from 1996 onward in the US and from 2006 onward in Australia.

The MY99 has the OBD2 plug because it was required for US models but for most of the rest of the world OBD2 was only partially implemented. The MY99 mostly used Subaru’s own protocol, Subaru Select Monitor II (SSM-II). SSM-II is actually faster than OBD2 however.

Only some of the OBD2 readers have the ability to fully interpret the signals on the pins, some just looked for specific codes. OBDKey can read the serial data communications on the K-Line (OBD J1962 pin 7) and interpret them and since firmware version 1.40 they added the ability to put the device into SSM mode to read the Subaru protocol. I recommend the Bluetooth version.

Once the OBDKey is set into SSM mode you can then use FreeSSM (PC) to read fault codes and looks like you can even mess with engine timing offsets, something I’d avoid :P There’s also various things you can monitor. I prefer to use Torque (Android), you have to put the app into SSM mode. It hasn’t been programmed to support fault codes. However it has a lot of real time information and also uses your phones sensors for a little bit more info.

To get it working first you need a windows pc and the OBDKey tool to put the device in SSM-II mode. Then set Torque’s profile to SSM-II mode as well and the rest is pretty simple.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1562.jpg   FreeSSM 1.jpg   FreeSSM 2.jpg   IMAG1477.jpg  
AWDmoke, AJAYJAY, nick73 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by ZiN; 01-09-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-12-2017, 04:33 AM

Jared at standard level

Nice information,
where do you recommend you purchase the obdkey from; directly from their site?
Old 05-12-2017, 08:12 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rslib72 at standard level

nice one very cool too bad my old Rs liberty is like a commodore 64 with tape drive....
Old 06-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

very nice

please post more
Old 14-02-2018, 12:09 PM

ZiN at standard level

Thanks guys. If you'd like to know more just ask or pm, not sure how quickly I'll get back to you, been busy for a while.

Yeah you need to order them direct from their site.

Works well wiith a cheap chinese android stereo.

Tags
freessm, g8c, gc8, monitor, my99, obdkey, select, subaru, subaru select monitor, torque, wrx