Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Grease on inside of rim (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/10273-grease-inside-rim.html)

urabus 15-02-2007 11:45 AM

Grease on inside of rim

Hello peoples.

I changed the rims the other day (put my R specs on) and noticed that the was a heap of grease on the inside of the rim. Upon further inspection it is also on the sway bar and the suspension arm. Looks very much like it has been flicked out.

I assumed it was the cv boot leaking but that was spotless and I could not find a crack in it where the grease had come out.

It was a white grease.

I went to put my road tyres on this morning and noticed that there was some on the inside of r specs so I think it is fair to assume that whatever it was has nearly run out. There was not so much.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brendon

SCOOTER 15-02-2007 11:50 AM

Possibly from the wheel bearing?????

IMPRESHER 15-02-2007 01:07 PM

Its the cv boot leaking ive got same issue.!!

urabus 15-02-2007 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=rexzist1]Its the cv boot leaking ive got same issue.!![/QUOTE]

Thats what I thought but I am buggered if I could find a crack or any sign of the grease on it.

I'll have another look at it in the next couple of days.

Brendon

Adam86 15-02-2007 04:51 PM

is it the front or rear wheels?

i have heard something bout you have to grease the swaybar endlinks when you install them.. it isnt the grease out of that is it? are the dust guards broke?
has it started to make a noise? cause if so it sounds like it needs regreasing?

SCOOTER 15-02-2007 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=rexzist1]Its the cv boot leaking ive got same issue.!![/QUOTE]

CV grease insn't usually white (or doesn't stay white very long)

urabus 16-02-2007 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=Adam86]is it the front or rear wheels?

i have heard something bout you have to grease the swaybar endlinks when you install them.. it isnt the grease out of that is it? are the dust guards broke?
has it started to make a noise? cause if so it sounds like it needs regreasing?[/QUOTE]

It is the front right. Yes it has just had a new swaybar fitted but the grease has been flicked out. I.e. it has come from something that is rotating.

Brendon

mr_psi 16-02-2007 10:07 AM

leakin shock?

IMPRESHER 16-02-2007 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=E4LUTION]CV grease insn't usually white (or doesn't stay white very long)[/QUOTE]

Well your more welcome to come and see it for your self , its turned silvery white all over inside of my wheel.

urabus 16-02-2007 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]leakin shock?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. Brand new Group 4's.

I will have another look.

I have a spare CV boot so I might try and change it tommorow.

Brendon

SINISTR 16-02-2007 02:13 PM

Definatelly sounds like a broken CV boot. Youd have a hard time finding a split anyway unless something tore a massive hole in it.

urabus 16-02-2007 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=SINISTR]Definatelly sounds like a broken CV boot. Youd have a hard time finding a split anyway unless something tore a massive hole in it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed but I would have thought that you would see where the grease was coming out.

Anyone konw what grease people are using?

Cheers

SINISTR 16-02-2007 04:20 PM

thats the thing with CV boots unfortunatelly, because they are made like a harmonica the tear is easily discuised, under rotation (same rotations as engine) the gap widens, grease oozes out, gets flung around and when you slow down the tear closes up, remainder mysteriously gets spread around so you won't see any grease just hanging around in a blob :P thats the way I understand it having similar problems on the cars.

Wheel Bearing Greese is the stuff - as for best brands I can't really tell.

urabus 16-02-2007 04:50 PM

Ok. I pulled the boot off a broken shaft I have to see how hard it is to dis assemble the shaft. The grease is white so I think it is safe to say that this is it.

Anyone got any ideas on how to dissasemble the shaft so that I can put a new boot on?

Cheers

Brendon

AntonRX 16-02-2007 06:14 PM

bash it of pritty much. there is a circlip on the inside of it so you just have to hit it of with a punch (long rod) on the centre part of the cv joint. don't bash the bearing cage

WhiteRX 16-02-2007 06:49 PM

or you can get the outer joint off the shaft then just take the inner joint off. take the circlip off the end of the inner joint and slide the boots off/on. I think that we use lithium disulphide grease (spelling) with cv joints