Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Bigger fuel pump with bolt-ons and no tune .. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/11568-bigger-fuel-pump-bolt-ons-no-tune.html)

Evidencee 10-04-2007 09:57 PM

Bigger fuel pump with bolt-ons and no tune ..

Hey,

My current set up is just the usual 3" tbe, big tmic and silicon y-pipe and intake(not tuned).
Would upgrading my fuel pump without a tune or anything gimme any benefits or change at all? would it make me run rich?
i wouldnt mind some burble ...

Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers
-Nick

joey89 10-04-2007 10:23 PM

Some burble LMAO sorry but thats just funny :)

No benefits will make you run slighty richer so i am lead to believe!

Brendan08 10-04-2007 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=joey89]Some burble LMAO sorry but thats just funny :)

No benefits will make you run slighty richer so i am lead to believe![/QUOTE]

joeys a fan of the old burble

Mister Two 10-04-2007 10:58 PM

you'll run slightly richer, which means you'll be slightly down on power in the range of less than 5% until it gets tuned to give you better AFRs.

But its cheap insurance because the likelyhood of a lean out at high RPM is drastically reduced. Power is good, but if it not reliable its worth nothing.

A fuel pump will not affect your exhaust note though. You need a cannon muffler to get the best (loudest) boxer burble

Kato 11-04-2007 08:11 AM

Not sure how a fuel pump will effect running lean/rich. Injectors will just spray as normal.

TBE & Intake could be giving you some very scary AFR's. Consider getting a tune or at minimum a power run with AFR's so you know if anything is out of whack.

Mister Two 11-04-2007 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=Kato]Not sure how a fuel pump will effect running lean/rich. Injectors will just spray as normal.

TBE & Intake could be giving you some very scary AFR's. Consider getting a tune or at minimum a power run with AFR's so you know if anything is out of whack.[/QUOTE]

An upgraded fuel pump will flow much more than the OEM unit slightly increasing the fuel pressure in the lines and forcing slightly more fuel past the injectors. The difference in minimal but it is there.

RichX 11-04-2007 08:39 AM

I upgraded my Fuel Pump to a Walbro 255L/H .. Seems fine, thinking it may be running a little rich, but that's better than lean.

I can tell it's running rich, as after a week of driving or so, I can see a very thin film of carbon or whatever on my boot. I've got a 65mm APS CAI, Silicone Intake, and did the Fuel Pump just to be sure it's getting enough fuel in.

I've done so many mods, it's time for a tune. Booking in for Verso this week.

Kato 11-04-2007 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two]An upgraded fuel pump will flow much more than the OEM unit slightly increasing the fuel pressure in the lines and forcing slightly more fuel past the injectors. The difference in minimal but it is there.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure?

The upgraded fuel pump will be able to deliver more fuel if required, but the stock fuel pressure regulator will keep the pressure at 43psi + manifold pressure.

So no tune = no difference.

Mister Two 11-04-2007 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=Kato]Are you sure?
[/QUOTE]

Quiet Sure.

American Dave 11-04-2007 10:02 AM

easy answer is get the tune and find out exactly where you are at with those mods or just wing and wait for ping!