Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Fuel Problem? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/11593-fuel-problem.html)

wrx_diamond 11-04-2007 03:51 PM

Fuel Problem?

Hi,

My house mates 98 wrx recently just fucked up! Just wanna find some help to what the problem may be. He was driving home the other day giving it shit and all of a sudden the car started shudering he rekons, and when he got home (i happened to be outside) his car now is just blowing fuel/smoke and all his fuel is pooring out of the end of the dump pipe where the resonator is i think! So fuel is acually going through the exhaust which cant be good and just pooring out like a water tap!

What could this be?

RichX 11-04-2007 03:53 PM

The resonator connects from the Ram Air duct, to the Air box .. So it's unlikely you'll find liquid of any kind in there?? You sure it's fuel, i assuming it's coming out of the exhaust?

Sounds like a head gasket ..

wrx_diamond 11-04-2007 03:55 PM

ahh ok, i wasnt sure what the resonator was then! Yeh well just where the dump pipe starts to go under the car, theres a join and thats where its pissin with fuel it doesnt look good

DEDLYWEPN 11-04-2007 04:01 PM

Doesn't look good! Damn right, doesnt sound safe more like it!! If fuel is coming out of the exhaust (if that's at all possible) I wouldn't be driving unless he's insured for big bucks when she spontaneously combusts!!!

American Dave 11-04-2007 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=MY REXTC]Doesn't look good! Damn right, doesnt sound safe more like it!! If fuel is coming out of the exhaust (if that's at all possible) I wouldn't be driving unless he's insured for big bucks when she spontaneously combusts!!![/QUOTE]
can you say Kabooooom! Get a MOBILE mechanic or tow truck, don't drive it if it's really pissing fuel out! :eek:

wrx_diamond 11-04-2007 04:08 PM

yeh he isnt driving anymore! its locked up in the shed, but man its serioulsy pure raw fuel just poring out the exhaust where the dump pipe joins! i didnt think it was possible either but it is now! God knows what the problem would be!!! and yeh its so bloody dangerous.

Nails 11-04-2007 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=wrx_diamond]ahh ok, i wasnt sure what the resonator was then! Yeh well just where the dump pipe starts to go under the car, theres a join and thats where its pissin with fuel it doesnt look good[/QUOTE]

Was the smoke comming from the rear of the exhaust?

Possible broken fuel line spraying fuel on to the hot exhaust!

Broken fuel rail drivers side!

The only liquid that could be comming anywhere from the exhaust in any high quantities could be water through the turbo cooling housing that may be leaking through the turbo housing seal! or a blown cylinder head gasket.

Check the coolant resi that there are not any bubbles blowing through when you start the engine form cold and let it come up to temp!

Cheers

Nails

wrx_diamond 11-04-2007 04:17 PM

it is fuel %100 and yeh the exhaust is blowing smoke like theres no tomorrow! I was thinking along the same lines as a broken fuel line/injector thats spraying into the exhaust acually, more like poring into the exhaust!

God thats so dangerous, hes lucky to have gotten home from where it happened

Nails 11-04-2007 04:20 PM

[QUOTE=wrx_diamond]it is fuel %100 and yeh the exhaust is blowing smoke like theres no tomorrow! I was thinking along the same lines as a broken fuel line/injector thats spraying into the exhaust acually, more like poring into the exhaust!

God thats so dangerous, hes lucky to have gotten home from where it happened[/QUOTE]

No worries I though as much.

Get a new fuel rail........I would think to do both sides and buy the two of them just to be on the safe side.
Cheers

Nails

Nails 11-04-2007 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=wrx_diamond]it is fuel %100 and yeh the exhaust is blowing smoke like theres no tomorrow! I was thinking along the same lines as a broken fuel line/injector thats spraying into the exhaust acually, more like poring into the exhaust!

God thats so dangerous, hes lucky to have gotten home from where it happened[/QUOTE]

To find out where exactly were its comming from.

Dis connect the HT lead from the dizzy and cover with a rag, so the engine will not fire up, when the engine perfectly cold.
Crank it over with an assistant and check where the leak is comming from.
It should be evident were the source of the leak is.

Cheers

Nails