Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 10:33 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

I've been over the pits with the dogbox twice for yellows in the wagon. Both occasions the issue was never arisen. It's not an issue. I had an engineer go through the legalities with me for my permits which included the gearset BUT wasnt a necessity to legality, moreso for uneducated policemen with a grudge.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by d23fitz
Interesting thought about legalities.......

When you sit a manual driving test they are not only testing your driving but your ability to safely use a standard "H" pattern synchromesh gearbox. This is because ALL passenger cars in the world have synchromesh manual gearboxes.
I know this because when I sat my HR licence the only vehicle available was a country fire truck that complied with the weight code for an HR test but had a 5 speed synchromesh gearbox. The result was that I was issued with an HR-BX licence stating that I could only drive an HR vehicle with a synchro box because I hadn't been tested on a non synchro box such as a full dog box or 18 speed road ranger etc etc.

This was how it was explained to me by the local police and confirmed by a phone call to the East Perth licencing centre.

So.......
this begs the question would any one driving a passenger car fitted with a non synchro gearbox involved in an accident....and not having been tested on such a box...find themselves with no insurance cover and potential legal issues???

maybe I'm looking into it too hard or maybe it is really some food for thought for you all?

Just my 2c
what happens if you sat an auto lic
Old 06-05-2007, 11:33 AM