Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   What damage if an engine has thrown a main bearing. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/12461-what-damage-if-engine-has-thrown-main-bearing.html)

trainwrex 19-05-2007 08:30 AM

What damage if an engine has thrown a main bearing.

Hey guys interested in a 2.5ltr shortblock which has thrown a Clevitte HP rod bearing.

What potential damage could be done to the block and other parts??

The shortblock consists of:

[I]Sleeved ej257 using Darton ductile iron sleeves
CP pistons and rings, pistons were coated tops and sides via Swain Tech
Pauter rods
Modded stock crankshaft
Clevitte HP rod bearings=need to be replaced, stock Subaru main bearings
balanced and blueprinted
ARP standard size head studs[/I]

Would the heads be damaged at all?? Is it worth buying and fixing?? What would be approx costs to do so?

Thanks for ur help

methd 19-05-2007 08:47 AM

if its a short motor, its got no heads!

trainwrex 19-05-2007 08:51 AM

Well hes selling the long motor, so the heads were attached when the damage occured hein.

Heads have been ported ect, kelford cams, retainers and valve springs all upgraded also.

BALISTC 19-05-2007 08:55 AM

IF its thrown a rod bearing, best case scenario the crank would need machining on all journals and the rod would more than likely need resizing, on all rods also. You can just do the damaged ones and fit undersized bearings, but its the dodgy way of doing it, ultimately you want all of them the same size.

Worst case scenario, its damaged the rod beyond repair and the crank too on that journal.

You'd have to replace the oil pump because it would have thrown bearing chunks through it.

waxdass 19-05-2007 09:05 AM

do it properly man, dont fuk round dawwgg

trainwrex 19-05-2007 12:34 PM

Yeah i am tode... it needs to be rebuilt but the block has been already sleeved and in the possession of RON from Axis motosports. Just trying to find a cheaper way of getting to the same result.

BALISTC 19-05-2007 12:36 PM

Good to see your going with Axis, and not the other, err, "great" American engine builder (I wont mention Crawford's name though)...

trainwrex 19-05-2007 12:40 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]IF its thrown a rod bearing, best case scenario the crank would need machining on all journals and the rod would more than likely need resizing, on all rods also. You can just do the damaged ones and fit undersized bearings, but its the dodgy way of doing it, ultimately you want all of them the same size.

Worst case scenario, its damaged the rod beyond repair and the crank too on that journal.

You'd have to replace the oil pump because it would have thrown bearing chunks through it.[/QUOTE]

Joe wot would u think costings would be approximately? 2gs to rebuild it?

trainwrex 19-05-2007 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Good to see your going with Axis, and not the other, err, "great" American engine builder (I wont mention Crawford's name though)...[/QUOTE]

hahah yeah ive heard a fair few problems about crawford.. but if i rebuild my own engine that itll prolly get sent to PMS or AGS...

The engine was orignally built by axis and the guy said that there was too much fuel causing the bearing failure. But hes not sure as the block hasnt been pulled apart