Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Opinion: Occasional Starting Problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/12525-opinion-occasional-starting-problem.html)

klass8wrx 21-05-2007 11:45 PM

Opinion: Occasional Starting Problem

hey all :)

my gc8 is having occasional starting problems. Once in a while it will not start.
When this happens, there will be a tick, just one, there is no ignition sound or nothing. I have figured out that i can start it with a nudge while in 1st gear while turning the key or a push start.

So far i had changed the battery, and the negative terminal clip cos' it had a crack in it, but it still occurs, I got it in for friday at tenagah, but i want to see if anyone had the same problem, or had any ideas.

Cheers

Ps. only needs to make one ignition sound before i can start it the usual way, could it be the starter motor?

dabomb789 21-05-2007 11:59 PM

not much of an expert here but could it be ur spark plugs?

Adz 22-05-2007 12:00 AM

What alarm/immob system are you using?

Brant?

How often is the car used? Any existing alarms/immobilisers been removed?

Is the battery going dead? Car being used daily? Alternator charging? Starter motor still in good nick?

Anything electrical leads to a HEAP of possibilities.. really need to do some diagnostics.. most basic way using a process of backchecking changes.. and elimination!

Good luck

Adz

Adz 22-05-2007 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=dabomb789]not much of an expert here but could it be ur spark plugs?[/QUOTE]

Your car would still 'turn over' even if spark plugs were fouled

DarkMoose 22-05-2007 12:10 AM

Sounds like an immob prob to me.

Mister Two 22-05-2007 12:29 AM

if you hear a click. That should be the relay for one or both the starter motor and / or the fuel pump. If you can hear the click, it means the immobiliser is disabled and ready to start you car.

Id say the brushes on your starter motor are worn or your starter motor in general is dead or on its way out.

Check the fuses and relay for the starter motor. As that click may just be the relay for the fuel pump alone and the relay for the starter motor is not working.

If they are all okay then...

Get a new starter motor.

klass8wrx 22-05-2007 12:51 AM

[QUOTE=Adz]What alarm/immob system are you using?

Brant?

How often is the car used? Any existing alarms/immobilisers been removed?

Is the battery going dead? Car being used daily? Alternator charging? Starter motor still in good nick?

Anything electrical leads to a HEAP of possibilities.. really need to do some diagnostics.. most basic way using a process of backchecking changes.. and elimination!

Good luck

Adz[/QUOTE]

Yep it's a daily driver. I got a new battery, clips, they're not loose, got an auto watch alarm system i think, but i dont think it's that, when the immob/alarm is on it makes a quite tick, but otherwise its a louder single tick as mister two posted, it's disabled and ready to start. I don't really know how to check the sparks and the starter motor, (hell noob :D) but i'll get it checked.Thanks all for replying, appreciate it

methd 22-05-2007 07:20 AM

i'd check the crank angle sensor... i'd be confident it's that

Darken 22-05-2007 07:41 AM

Sounds like the "solenoid" in the starter motor needs replacement. If not replace the whole unit!

joey89 22-05-2007 08:40 AM

Maybe you have a link and you dont know :D haha