Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   p-diddy, i need your help! 4th gear crunching... (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/14981-p-diddy-i-need-your-help-4th-gear-crunching.html)

madmax 08-09-2007 07:15 PM

p-diddy, horrible update... massive knocking out of engine bay

Yep, 4th gear.

- The gearbox is very smooth standing still from 1st through to 5th.
- It happens on the cold start or while driving for quite a while WHEN under
load. Whether I am doing 30, 80, 100.. it still happens.
- It happens if I'm changing up or down
- I can feel the crunch in my hand when changing the gear. It feels like
teeth scratching against each other

Recent changes

- Just serviced. 2 days ago, noticed it straight away.
- Using fully synthetic penrite oil. Quite thick

Car is a 97 STI RA.

Ideas?

- Synchros?
- Change to a thicker or thiner oil and see what happens?

Any help greatly appreciated. Very disappointed.

edit : the problem just got the bigger :(

my car is fucked!

i had to end up getting towed home...

massive, massive rattle .

checked the engine bay... after leaving bennys[candy red rex]
the knocking is coming from right in the middle of the engine bay, will need to get it towed to a mechanic tomorrow morning.

I thought it was the drivetrain;

- whether the gear is engaged or in idle now there is a knocking
- it is a very loud rattle that sounds like a pile of screws being thrown around a bucket.
- now it gets louder the quicker i go...

wow... i have 4 litres of the redline sitting in my back seat.. all lonely and won't be used until this is resolved

BALISTC 09-09-2007 10:09 AM

Thick oil could be an issue, try some decent oil like Motul Comp FF, or even at a pinch, try some Redline LWSP to see if it fixes the problem.

WhiteRX 09-09-2007 11:38 AM

Redline LWSP is good oil :) i have always put it in my box. I would give it a try. but some will disagree im sure

madmax 09-09-2007 11:49 AM

thank you guys, i'll see if i can purchase some today.. it's getting worse and worse. I'll see if that helps with the issue.

phizzle 09-09-2007 02:23 PM

at least if you drop the oil to change, you'll soon find out if there's bits of gearbox in the oil. Now it was just serviced and you noticed it straight away. If you didn't do the service like I'm assuming, then I would be very displeased with your mechanic. I would also assume that the box would cruch all/most of the gears if it were due to incorrect weight oil being used.

Fabs 09-09-2007 05:51 PM

i have what sounds like a very similar prob....can change 1st -2nd and to 3rd with no probs but crunches/grinds when i put it into 4th...and does it if i put it back to 3rd..

the bit that would have me worried is that when stationary i find my gears stick if i try to select 3rd or 4th...pretty much have to force it in and back out...

i topped up the oil and still no difference...could it be something caught in the gears itself like a chipped tooth or is it the synchos?

DAN682 09-09-2007 05:54 PM

Redline LWSP FTW

phizzle 09-09-2007 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=Fabs]i have what sounds like a very similar prob....can change 1st -2nd and to 3rd with no probs but crunches/grinds when i put it into 4th...and does it if i put it back to 3rd..

the bit that would have me worried is that when stationary i find my gears stick if i try to select 3rd or 4th...pretty much have to force it in and back out...

i topped up the oil and still no difference...could it be something caught in the gears itself like a chipped tooth or is it the synchos?[/QUOTE]
gears 3 and 4 share a selector don't they? it's probably rooted

Fabs 09-09-2007 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=phizzle]gears 3 and 4 share a selector don't they? it's probably rooted[/QUOTE]

guess ill just have to polish it off at the drags this week then..... :3gears:

phizzle 09-09-2007 06:02 PM

haha that's the spirit! I've been through a few gearboxes in my time. It usually starts with fcked syncros on second, then third, then the selectors give up too. Munched a datto 120Y box then drove 30kms to the mechanic haha. I've also been stuck in second 3 times in 3 different cars cause I went to shift to third and the gear stick went loose/came out completely. They were VL, Excel, VN. 02 STi stood up real well, we'll see how the T56 goes.............