Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   2 mechanical questions?? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/15239-2-mechanical-questions.html)

NEAT 04' 20-09-2007 09:50 PM

2 mechanical questions??

i have 2 questions:

1. does anybody here get white/grey smoke come out of their exhaust when they initially start it????
this doesn't happen all the time but probly 70% of starts... all i hav is cat back on an 04 wrx??
i initially thought turbo but it doesn't do it on boost, just when starting the car

2. i'm getting a whining noise when im travelling between 60 and 90km/hr???
i thought diff, purely because it only does it at a certain rpm which should mean something mechanical???? correct???
but subaru are telling me it's my tyres and i would hav thought that if its tyres it would do it all the time..

thoughts?? :p

97RA 20-09-2007 10:07 PM

[QUOTE=NEAT 04']1. does anybody here get white/grey smoke come out of their exhaust when they initially start it???? ... all i hav is cat back on an 04 wrx??[/QUOTE]

How old is the cat back? Used to get this a bit with my old 96 rex setup when I changed exhaust...was nothing bad just the system burning in. You wanna see the kind of smoke you get when you get a tubine housing thermal coated.... :eek:

[/QUOTE=NEAT 04']
2. i'm getting a whining noise when im travelling between 60 and 90km/hr???
thoughts?? :p[/QUOTE]

Used to get this too, then I divorced her :D

Could well be tyres, I had a set of (top of the range mind you) Yokahamas that sounded like the box was going to drop out, and they didn't get any better when they warmed up, and they allowed lurid plow understeer even at low speed on bitumen. :mad:

WRXL3R8 20-09-2007 10:10 PM

all i can say is check your oil, too much smoke usually means too much oil, the whining noise at certain high rpm, well that sounds like a boost leak so i'd check the hoses that are connected to the wastegate/boostcontroller that general area, if theres even the tiniest gap it will squeel, just imagine it like a stretched baloon when u blow, it squeels exactly the same with boost leak, the tiniest gap or a loose connection under high pressure would make the same noise

Moe

Mister Two 20-09-2007 10:18 PM

if your getting oil smoke but only on start up, then it could be worn valve stem seals. But seeing as you have a relatively new 04 WRX. Thats highly unlikely.

Does it happen all the time? Like in the middle of the afternoon? Or only in the morning? As it could just be condensation inside the exhaust pipes burning off.

As for the noise. Its probably just the diff. Check the condition of the rear diff oil and any possible leaks out of the rear diff and change the oil if neccessary.

chee 20-09-2007 10:28 PM

1. my money is on condensation in the exhaust.

2. swap the wheels and see if it still whines. if not then money is on the diff.

BALISTC 20-09-2007 10:34 PM

I reckon it could be that you have homeless people living in your pistons. Seeing as your pistons are quite small, its probably unlikely

In other words, I wish people would stop posting their diagnosis on problems when its got absolutely FUCK ALL to do with the problem. Goes for this thread, and heaps of others too...so fuckin frustrating!!

Anyways, the whining is NOT A BOOST LEAK, its a diff problem...how do I know? Because Subaru replaced 3 of my diffs until the noise went away with exactly the same symptoms

The smoke on start will be condensation, especially if the car is bone cold and has been sitting overnight.

lebrunt 21-09-2007 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]I reckon it could be that you have homeless people living in your pistons. Seeing as your pistons are quite small, its probably unlikely

In other words, I wish people would stop posting their diagnosis on problems when its got absolutely FUCK ALL to do with the problem. Goes for this thread, and heaps of others too...so fuckin frustrating!!

Anyways, the whining is NOT A BOOST LEAK, its a diff problem...how do I know? Because Subaru replaced 3 of my diffs until the noise went away with exactly the same symptoms

The smoke on start will be condensation, especially if the car is bone cold and has been sitting overnight.[/QUOTE]

......say no more :D

Hi_VoLtAgE 21-09-2007 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=chee]1. my money is on condensation in the exhaust.

2. swap the wheels and see if it still whines. if not then money is on the diff.[/QUOTE]

+1 is it only in the morning before work?

madmax 21-09-2007 09:31 AM

my money is the homeless people. In time, you will start to hear a rattle from your exhaust also.

Don't panic, it's just their shopping trolley moving around your cat convertor.

uglycong 21-09-2007 03:24 PM

rear diff

how do I know ? I'm one of the unlucky ones like balistc