Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   AVCS problems - midrange Power Loss (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/15394-avcs-problems-midrange-power-loss.html)

WRXTASY 27-09-2007 08:36 PM

AVCS problems - midrange Power Loss

Gday I'm asking if anyone with AVCS equipped WRX/STi's have had the their AVCS system shut down on them resulting in the loss of midrange torque / power ? :mad:

If so what was the fix for the problem.

Thicker Oil ?
Higher Oil Pressure by extra shims in the oil pump. ?
Upgrades to the Banjo Bolts and filters in the AVCS system to flow more oil ?
A re-flash to factory ECU ?

Cheers :)

tuna 27-09-2007 08:37 PM

i'd be checking the sensor pickup.

Huy 27-09-2007 08:48 PM

Yes. I don't know what the fix was. I changed workshops after this, and other numerous problems.

tuna 27-09-2007 08:53 PM

avcs should also only require relatively light weight oil 10w-40 too...

WRXTASY 27-09-2007 09:02 PM

Yeah I agree.

Cam controller fault I believe due to Oil pressure problem.
Trying to diagnose a problem for a Rexnet member that lives in Bunners...

I will recommend a Mobil Syn S 10w-40 Oil change as a first step.
He is running Valvaline Synpower 5w-40 at the moment.

foxey 27-09-2007 09:14 PM

Just to hi jack this, have either of you boys got AVCS going in the GC's yet? I ended up going down the link path, not as flashy as the tec but I'm hoping the motor will be fired next week.

WRXTASY 27-09-2007 09:20 PM

My whole transplant is booked into ASG from Sat 13th Oct for a week.
Still doing AVCS with the Motec.
Thx for reminding me as I have to liase with Stace... :)

Rexy03 27-09-2007 09:30 PM

Hi guys
Thanks WRXTASY for the tips
So is the 5w/40 synpower to light or too heavy for the AVCS
I also think the verso reflash sounds like it could be the answer to my probs
although its a little hard to find a thread amongst the many threads about verso that actually explains what verso is
Ive read plenty of replys from noobies requesting an explanation of verso but there is no anwsers............

For those wondering what im dribbleing about
I have a stock standard MY03 WRX that has a jerkiness to its acceleration
which is worsened as the pedal is pushed to to the floor.
The Car has just been picked up from local subaru service center after 4 days work being completed.
They reported the problem ( after swaping all sensors, plugs, coils, etc and checking fuel pressure boost, cam timing) was a faulty throttle position sensor.
On leaving the yard and opening up the throttle out on a stretch of road I found that it was no better at all.
I returned to the dealership and the dealer took it for a drive with me
He said what my car is doing was typical of wrx`s
I was then invited to drive a bugeye to compare.
The bugeye did have a slight jerkiness to its acceleration but was not as bad as mine.

foxey 27-09-2007 09:32 PM

If mine is anything to go by, expect it to take longer than a week. In saying that mine has been sitting there waiting for parts to arrive.....

I think once link release their closed loop wide band it will be as good as the tec (yes i expect to get yelled at for this comment.)

But back on topic, I couldn't see changing to the mobil oil having any effect, unless the current oil has thickened with impurities. Kind of redundant, but I agree with stace, sounds like a feedback issue.

WRXTASY 27-09-2007 09:34 PM

Rexy03,

What RPM range and in what gear specifically does most of the jerkiness happen ?

Foxey,

All the parts are finally here ready to go, taking up half a bedroom. Definately trying to make it a drive in conversion job. Engine in next week to build up before car goes in.
DCCD still needs looking at tho. :)