Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   expected life of a built engine (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/15603-expected-life-built-engine.html)

trainwrex 09-10-2007 09:06 AM

expected life of a built engine

I was reading some topics on built engines and it has got me questioning me about my build...

For those that have opinions on this topic, what do u think is the expected life of a built 2.5 (sleeved, pistons, rods etc). For mostly normal daily commuting with teh occasional MC, drag, dyno event....

97RA 09-10-2007 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=trainwrex]For those that have opinions on this topic, what do u think is the expected life of a built 2.5 (sleeved, pistons, rods etc). [/QUOTE]

Don't know about sleeved etc, but I know of one of the very first US Sti motors in WA that was put in a local car in about 2004/5 and driven mercilessly to the tune of 1.6 bar day in day out and it's still going strong.

Totally stock!!

Must be a freak or they just did a different mix in the 'chocolate' that day.

Go figure.

trainwrex 09-10-2007 09:32 AM

Yeah OEM is a little diffrent to a built block, if that was wot u were implying with teh 2.5 sti block from the states..

what size turbo???

BALISTC 09-10-2007 10:35 AM

Rule of thumb is 10-15k for a hard pushed built motor.

I'd add another 10-15k for one thats driven nicely most of the time.

The main reason is to get on top of maintenance and replace items such as rings and bearings, as well as check clearances, before something lets go in a big way. If you stay on top of it, the components will last many many years.

Its cheaper to spend a couple of grand replacing rings and bearings, than having to build a new motor each couple of years because something wore out and let go, or a component fell out of its tolerance range and damaged something else.

trainwrex 09-10-2007 10:40 AM

Joe,

U think that is because there are much tighter tolerances? Why do OEM last longer then??

Kato 09-10-2007 10:57 AM

A built motor will usually be under more stress than a OEM motor, which is why it would need more maintenance.

Even a OEM motor running big boost will require more than the usual service intervals.

trainwrex 09-10-2007 11:11 AM

hmmm so ur saying if i treat it like i would a normal engine then the life should be the same??

Thats wot i would have expected..

BALISTC 09-10-2007 11:13 AM

For exact reason that John's suggested...you don't build a full-house motor, only to use it for the day to day commute. Its built to make power.

Its going to cop a f*ckin hiding, whether it be lots of boost, lots of RPM, or pumping out lots of HP in general :)

WRXTASY 09-10-2007 11:27 AM

Are we talking Tuna-Explicit-Ramon Spec built motors here or just your normal build ? ;)

trainwrex 09-10-2007 11:28 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]For exact reason that John's suggested...you don't build a full-house motor, only to use it for the day to day commute. Its built to make power.

Its going to cop a f*ckin hiding, whether it be lots of boost, lots of RPM, or pumping out lots of HP in general :)[/QUOTE]

ahhah Joe, but i dont whack my car much at all.. only when neccessary.. ahaha

hmm that makes me feel a hell of a lot better, look at simons 2.5 did over 50 clicks i think before he pulled it apart...