Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   vf34 noise ? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/15754-vf34-noise.html)

Subaru00 15-10-2007 08:10 PM

vf34 noise ?

guys, just fitted a vf34 on the weekend and took it for a slow drive this arvo. I noticed it makes a slight whining noise ? is this due to the vf34 being ball bearing design ? or is something leaking perhaps ?

also, driving with the vf34, wont the standard ecu add more fuel when it picks up the extra air from turbo and intake mods ? (aps intake and front mount)

surely not everyone that does a turbo upgrade has got an aftermarket ecu ?

Mister Two 15-10-2007 08:27 PM

you usually get like a whoooo noise at idle because BB turbos spin faster at idle than plain bearing turbos (ie td04). You'll notice the same noise, when you turn off the engine as a BB turbo will keep spinning for a little while after you switch off the engine.

You really need a retune though with a new turbo. GC8s can usually tolerate small turbo changes without too much trouble. Regardless though, your never going to get the most out of the new parts unless you get a retune or upgrade ECU (assuming you still have OEM ECU).

What model WRX do you actually have?

VF34 15-10-2007 08:31 PM

Whining noise is normal, mine has been getting louder as it ages, had it for 4 years now.

Using standard ecu will add more fuel, you'll also hit boost cut as well I think it was just over 1 bar. Using a standard ecu, your only getting half the bang!

Subaru00 15-10-2007 08:40 PM

i have a my00. I got a link sitting here waiting to go in but earliest they can book me in is the 29th of this month.

current mods are turbo back zorst, aps intake, front mount, bov, light weight pulleys and vf34.

would injectors be a wise thing to do next ?

Ive only taken it for a really light drive today, barely hit 3000rpm. Been getting alot of mixed answers in regards to driving it with standard ecu

RichX 15-10-2007 08:47 PM

I wouldn't be driving it hard with the standard ECU at all. Could be running lean .. Get it tuned ASAP.

VF34 15-10-2007 08:53 PM

I'm running a Motec with Walbro 500HP fuel pump and a fuel pressure reg through MY00 stand injectors. I'm making 207Kw atw using 1.2 bar of boost with injectors close to being max injector cycle with a safe air fuel ratio. It's my daily driver!

So changing out the injector isn't really necessary unless you're chasing big Kw's. However I would re-route the plumbing to the injectors, I can't rememeber which cylinder but by is current design one of the cylinder runs lean.

DarkMoose 15-10-2007 09:00 PM

Wade don't do it brother, get it tuned and don't drive it till u have :)

RichX 15-10-2007 09:16 PM

I noticed that my TD04 sounded different depending on the viscocity of oil i am using. Running on a Motul Chrono 10w40 at the moment and i reckon it helps the Turbo for sure.

Subaru00 15-10-2007 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=DarkMoose]Wade don't do it brother, get it tuned and don't drive it till u have :)[/QUOTE]

29th man :( ages away ! will be ok if i just put around tho yeah ?

PsYcHeD 15-10-2007 09:25 PM

Wat VF34 said. Bigger fuel pump but dont worry bout the injectors.

BXT 15-10-2007 09:29 PM

My VF34's the same.....very whinney especially on cold start as the revs slowly drop down as the engine warms up but the turbo has never missed a beat and pulls strong...running 217wkw out of it with a P20 exhaust housing.

Subaru00 15-10-2007 11:49 PM

what ecu's are we running ? cmon someone tell me they are gettin around with a standard ecu !

DarkMoose 15-10-2007 11:50 PM

I wouldn't try it wade, don't need a blown motor to add to your list :(

BXT 16-10-2007 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=Wade]what ecu's are we running ? cmon someone tell me they are gettin around with a standard ecu ![/QUOTE]

Yep standard ecu!!!!.......................................Just Verso'd :D

agentorange 16-10-2007 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=BXT]Yep standard ecu!!!!.......................................Just Verso'd :D[/QUOTE]
:D

joey89 16-10-2007 08:46 AM

You should be ok if running stock boost but i would be getting the ecu in and tuned asap!

Clint 16-10-2007 09:03 AM

WOW VF34 and Phyched. Blast from the past!

Adr3naL1N 16-10-2007 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=Wade]what ecu's are we running ? cmon someone tell me they are gettin around with a standard ecu ![/QUOTE]

i was, VF34, standard ecu, stock boost, its fine. i bought it like that, never bothered to change anything, car ran fine.

Sethor 16-10-2007 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=Adr3naL1N]i was, VF34, standard ecu, stock boost, its fine. i bought it like that, never bothered to change anything, car ran fine.[/QUOTE]

For GC8's they will run fine, resetting your ecu is also a good idea. You just won't get the most out of your turbo & it will be very laggy without a retune of some kind.

RichX 16-10-2007 10:27 AM

Any major mod requires a retune, more forgivin on GC8's .. Sure you can probably get away with it without a tune, a turbo swap without a tune is a dangerous game to play i reckon.

jEstEr? 16-10-2007 10:34 AM

wade see if you can get it on a dyno just for a power & AFR run

Adr3naL1N 16-10-2007 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=Sethor]For GC8's they will run fine, resetting your ecu is also a good idea. You just won't get the most out of your turbo & it will be very laggy without a retune of some kind.[/QUOTE]

yep exactly right.

yeah my ecu had been reset since the vf34.

yeah u def wont get the most out of the turbo, but it still is a big improvement over the td04. Lag wasnt too bad, kicked in round the 2,600-2,700 mark, could live with that.

Adr3naL1N 16-10-2007 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=RichX]Any major mod requires a retune, more forgivin on GC8's .. Sure you can probably get away with it without a tune, a turbo swap without a tune is a dangerous game to play i reckon.[/QUOTE]

prolly coz ur a bug eye owner :p :p

yeh its not as bad on the gc8's as compared to the later models. before that i also ran a vf28 on my other rex without a aftermarket ecu for over a year, then had a safc fitted which is a cheap fix. But anyway if you can afford it def get something like a link or autronic fitted n tuned. Will get the full beneifts of the vf34 then too.

Subaru00 16-10-2007 05:36 PM

well, got it booked in for the 29th to have my link tuned. such a long wait :(

Fabs 16-10-2007 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=Wade]well, got it booked in for the 29th to have my link tuned. such a long wait :([/QUOTE]

worth it!!

Subaru00 17-10-2007 02:09 AM

[QUOTE=Clint]WOW VF34 and Phyched. Blast from the past![/QUOTE]

Put a sock in it cunty

97RA 17-10-2007 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=VF34]However I would re-route the plumbing to the injectors, I can't rememeber which cylinder but by is current design one of the cylinder runs lean.[/QUOTE]

Yes, a set of re-designed fuel feed lines with a central fuel distribution block (and return) with a good adjustable regulator (Sard?) is a very good investment in engine life balanced with bigger Kw.

Just be sure not to fall into the cheaper option trap of using -6 fittings and lengths of the matching braided hoses as these are much larger volume and you should re-calculate the line pressure to compensate.

In other words the 'known good' fuel pressure reading that you set may not be whats happening at the injectors.

Try to use lines that match as near as possible the length and volume of the Subi ones.

Best bet buy a quality after market product.

WRXTASY 17-10-2007 01:16 PM

Lets see.....

MY00 GC8 with a dodgy [B]Air Flow Meter[/B] plus an [B]Oiled K+N APS CAI[/B] +[B] factory JECS ECU[/B] =[B] rattle rattle pop fart[/B] :mad: :mad:

At the very least either take it real easy or [B]clean you AFM NOW[/B]!!!!
Your definatelty asking for trouble with a MY00 factory AFM plus Oiled filter. This has been proven many many times. :eek:

440cc Injectors will be fine.
Get a Walbro pump tho.
Only get a Sard FPR if you really want a bigger safety margin due to high duty cycles on your factory 440cc's at big KW levels without getting new injectors.

If duty cycles are extra high I would get bigger injectors now and don't get the Sard FPR. Ask your tuner regarding duty cycles expected with your setup!!

I would consider the parallel fuel rail mod for peace of mind though on a MY00.

J

Subaru00 17-10-2007 05:29 PM

roger that. cheers mate