Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Split Cv Boot Replacement... Please Help (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/16335-split-cv-boot-replacement-please-help.html)

SIK RX3 12-11-2007 07:40 PM

Split Cv Boot Replacement... Please Help

Just got home and smelt a funny smell and something burning, thought it was coming from the turbo but on closer inspection the cars split a cv boot on the drivers side ...

How hard is this to replace??? what is the cost to do so??? any tips, advice as will most likely do this myself if it's possible....

And should I drive anymore with it split????

Thanks
Jon

Mister Two 12-11-2007 07:52 PM

You can still drive with a split boot. But that burning smell is the grease inside the boot being flung out by centripetal force on to hot engine components as the drive shaft turns. Eventually all the grease will be flung out and the CV joint will no longer be lubricated properly, which will eventually kill the CV joint.

Get the boot replaced ASAP and packed with fresh grease so that you dont have to replace the whole CV joint.

Having said that though. Ive been driving around with a split passenger side outer CV boot for the last six or so months. Funnily enough, no clackity clackity noises that you usually get from a shagged CV joint. Just the occasional light clunk sound when I turn the wheel back from full left at a standstill.

GX-REX 12-11-2007 07:55 PM

I priced up some cv boots just today. $16.50 each from hi tech in wangara...
This is trade price though...

Imprezzive 12-11-2007 08:04 PM

It is very easy to change a c.v boot i work for peel subaru mandurah its just wheel off, roll pin out, and drive shaft hammered out :D

SIK RX3 12-11-2007 08:27 PM

Cheers guys, doesn't sound to hard then, I'm used to taking most things to bits as I have a rotor too... lol... first awd though... Impressive, you work at peel then hey, I used to work at Indiana Sign Co for col and luke, used to do all the stickers on ya bosses race car... Hence I ended up getting a wrx....

WhiteRX 12-11-2007 08:28 PM

Id replace it asap, apart from making your under side of your car look like crap, it isnt that much of a hard job as imprezzive said. wheel off, ball joint out, roll pin and driveshaft out. Then take the boot off, take off circlips and replace boots. Might as well do the other boot whyle you are at it...

redly rocket 12-11-2007 09:22 PM

See if you can locate some silicone boots as the rubber ones will just break down and split due to the heat again.

urabus 13-11-2007 05:04 PM

I bought the genuine ones and from memory they were about $25 or $30 each. Make sure you also get the tool to do up the bands that hold them there. Coventry's sell it for about $40. When you order the bands from subaru order a couple of extra (they are only a couple of $ ea) because they are quite easy to overtighten and break.

Brendon

clubspec2002 13-11-2007 06:15 PM

i did mine on tha weekend boot,clips and grease all genuine cost me $80, the circlip is a bit of a bastard apart from that try to hit the cv with a soft hammer, and get one good crack at it cause the more u hit it the more likely your gonna do damage,

tuna 13-11-2007 06:35 PM

i find it easier to swap the whole shaft and get the boot repaired later.

Imprezzive 13-11-2007 07:51 PM

oh haha sikRX3 = john ? its cody i had the 97 impreza but now 00rex

SIK RX3 13-11-2007 08:15 PM

Yeah, ha ha, how are ya Cody???? Ya got a wrx now too, cool....

Will be hopefully sorting this out tomoz!!!! Thanks for all the advice eveyone!!! will post up how I go!!!

Imprezzive 13-11-2007 08:30 PM

yer man not too bad.. ay cv job is so easy u could do it with ur eyes closed bro :P ne ways cya round some time :D

97RA 15-11-2007 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=Mister Two]But that burning smell is the grease inside the boot being flung out by centripetal force on to hot engine components as the drive shaft turns.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't centripetal force push grease into the joint? If so, you wouldn't actually need boots at all?

Bit f&$%^n pedantic really, but she are a good language when used righter.

BALISTC 15-11-2007 01:19 PM

Centrifugal is the correct word :)

pete gopal 15-11-2007 01:52 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Centrifugal is the correct word :)[/QUOTE]
I thought centrifugal and centripetal meant the same thing? :confused: oh well ignore me im just an ignorant bastard learning to speak english :)

urabus 15-11-2007 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Centrifugal is the correct word :)[/QUOTE]

You are both right and wrong. Centripetal is a correct word and is the opposite of centrifugal. i.e. pushing someone towards the middle.

I think you meant centrifugal which is stuff being pushed from the inside out. The force generated in your CV boots is centrifugal.

You were hoping that the force was centripetal.

Cheers

Brendon

pete gopal 15-11-2007 01:57 PM

oh that explains it :D back to physics 101

Mister Two 15-11-2007 02:19 PM

Pffft. Whatever. You know what I mean. Spell Check cant help me here.

SIK RX3 15-11-2007 05:39 PM

:book1: grammatical errors aside, I do believe this thread was about fixing things not the english language... :eek: lol....

Was to busy picking up the new diff for the mazda and didn't get time to fix the boot, so going to do it saturday!!!!! Sorted out a boot, was only $20 so all good... going to go do it at the old mans and hopefully get a start on the diff for the rx3... busy day :icon_jook

phizzle 15-11-2007 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=SIK RX3]..........and hopefully get a start on the diff for the rx3... busy day :icon_jook[/QUOTE]
Hope the welder is nice and handy :D :D

GX-REX 26-11-2007 09:45 PM

Didnt wanna start a new thread so thought i'd ask here. When doing CV's what sorta grease do you use? I have a fresh tub of wheel bearing grease but wasnt sure if this is good for cvs or not...

red dragon2002 21-03-2011 02:28 PM

^ dragging the past up, but i would like to know the answer to that question if anyone has it

thanks

MY00GC8 21-03-2011 02:32 PM

Subaru sell cv boot grease in packets.

johnvk7 21-03-2011 02:35 PM

Genuine Subaru CVJ grease, or if you go non-gen, the kits usually come with grease. It is not a normal grease, it is designed specifically for cv joints. So whoever sells kits will sell the grease.

red dragon2002 21-03-2011 02:50 PM

^ thanks for the fast reply.

karina2009 21-03-2011 03:07 PM

happened to me, don't leave it too long, because it still smells now and everyone thinks I'm killing my clutch but its not, its the crap still left over that has flung everywhere and not easy to clean
apparently its not hard to do. mine cost me $160 for the part and replacement when I got someone else to do it for me.

Jaronimo 21-05-2011 06:55 PM

ive found a boot cracked on mine, has any one come across the split boot design? wheres theres no need to remove the shaft just cut off old boot and attatch the new one

RXqME 21-05-2011 08:53 PM

^^ You need the universal CV boot and the stretching tool to get it over the CV joint

DEDLYWEPN 27-07-2011 10:19 AM

Thread Revival:

Been driving the rex while the XR gets the bumper resprayed and found I've got a split r/h boot and the left is looking pretty bad too, so I figure with 390,000kms on the clock it's smarter to replace both driveshafts rather than just the boot as the cv's would have to be pretty well fucked.

Just wondering where you guys source your driveshafts from? Found a couple of places on ebay ranging from $99ea to $110ea, is there anywhere in Perth etc??

Cheers,
Josh

Strubaru 27-07-2011 10:23 AM

doug may have some lying around, jws want crack pipe prices for them :rolleyes:

if the boots haven't totally split and there is still some grease in there, there's a chance they will still be fine, new boots are around $12each from veale (comes with clips and grease), takes about an hour to change them

DEDLYWEPN 27-07-2011 10:34 AM

Yeah the r/h is completely fkd, throwing grease onto the exhaust. Figured with that many kms the cvs would be pretty knackered as they've never been changed!

Are the aftermarket ones ok? The car gets driven MAYBE 1500kms a year now, so if the aftermarket ones are fine I'll save the kesh and go with them. I heard its a heck of alot easier and less time consuming to just change the whole shaft rather than the split boot.

Strubaru 27-07-2011 10:51 AM

yeh but chances are the 'reconditioned' ones you buy off ebay are just old ones with new boots installed, its not that hard to change the boots, only special tool you need is a pair of circlip retaining ring pliers

DEDLYWEPN 27-07-2011 10:54 AM

Not recons, brand new. Where are the abs rings located on a MY99? On the hub or CV joint?

Strubaru 27-07-2011 11:18 AM

on the hub mate, just undo the 32mm nut at the end of the shaft, undo both lower strut bolts, knock the pin out of the inner cv that holds it to the gearbox stub axels and its out ;)

red dragon2002 27-07-2011 07:09 PM

don't screw the alignment of your suspension like me. undo the bottom bolt of the strut, not the top two bolts if you know what i mean

it was fun doing the cv boot, here is a diy i followed: shit i lost it, doh. i just googled diy gc8 cv boot replacement from memory

[REXPLOIT] 27-07-2011 07:53 PM

I replaced all 8 with repco sourced boots prior to a pit inspection. Yank all the shafts out, and providing you have the banding tool, (bout 25 bucks), you'll have them all done in next to no time. Cheap easy insurance, and a fun DIY.

Brent.
:)

mao 27-07-2011 07:58 PM

Guys, life is tough changing boots like that. We use a tool that we call the 'sex toy' to stretch the boot and put it over.

Love these technological times and the 'sex toy'.

Sonic 11-11-2012 09:49 PM

Hey guys for about a yr now I've noticed this unusual whining/buzzing noise from somewhere under the bonnet, two mechanics after servicing my car told me they heard it when they did a road test and thought possibly it was a gearbox bearing, lately I've been interested in doing everything DIY and today i came across this split boot and bulk grease everywhere. Is it typical that a fucked shaft makes that kinda noise? Seems logical this is making the noise?[IMG]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/members/sonic-albums-sonic[/IMG]