Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   New engine break in procedure... (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/16468-new-engine-break-procedure.html)

trainwrex 20-11-2007 02:27 PM

New engine break in procedure...

I just came across this from rexnet...

What do u guys think of it??

[url]http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm[/url]

teejay 20-11-2007 02:38 PM

I personally ran in the last of my VN motors using the "drive it hard" method.

- yes, I know, I said several vn motors... I broke 3 :)

The last motor is the only one that survived the abuse, I suspect if it came out of the car and went in another car, it would last a long time too.

I know of at least 2 high hp GTR's that got ran in on big boost tunes on the dyno the night/s before a show or mv or similar. Both are still going strong making great power for their setups and have no issues with blow by etc.

As long as you take the appropriate precautions, I see it as a method that can work.

BLUES 20-11-2007 02:44 PM

Follow your engine builder/tuner's advice & recommendation.

Personally, I'd get them to 'break it in' on the dyno, tune it up, then hand it back to you for flogging straight out of the workshop.

trainwrex 20-11-2007 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=BLUES]Follow your engine builder/tuner's advice & recommendation.

Personally, I'd get them to 'break it in' on the dyno, tune it up, then hand it back to you for flogging straight out of the workshop.[/QUOTE]

yeh thats what im going to do fred... get them to break it in so i cant stuff it up.. hahaha

Just thought it was an interesting read...

trainwrex 20-11-2007 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=teejay]I personally ran in the last of my VN motors using the "drive it hard" method.

- yes, I know, I said several vn motors... I broke 3 :)

The last motor is the only one that survived the abuse, I suspect if it came out of the car and went in another car, it would last a long time too.

I know of at least 2 high hp GTR's that got ran in on big boost tunes on the dyno the night/s before a show or mv or similar. Both are still going strong making great power for their setups and have no issues with blow by etc.

As long as you take the appropriate precautions, I see it as a method that can work.[/QUOTE]

The rings not bedding is wot im scared of, i have had enough blow by from my last engine dont want it to happen again...

BALISTC 20-11-2007 02:55 PM

If you're scared of rings not bedding in properly.....lots of load will bed them in well.

Go for a drive up some hills in a higher gear :)

teejay 20-11-2007 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=trainwrex]The rings not bedding is wot im scared of, i have had enough blow by from my last engine dont want it to happen again...[/QUOTE]

Like I said Tino I personally watched one of the GTR's get belted to over 700hp from the get go, and the motor was great.

However, if you are uncomfortable with this method, dont use it. Its your hard work and money thats going to waste if it goes wrong.

trainwrex 20-11-2007 03:05 PM

yes but its important to bed them almost instantly... so have to be done once the engine is started... load load load.. haha

trainwrex 20-11-2007 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=teejay]Like I said Tino I personally watched one of the GTR's get belted to over 700hp from the get go, and the motor was great.

However, if you are uncomfortable with this method, dont use it. Its your hard work and money thats going to waste if it goes wrong.[/QUOTE]

Tom i will let Nick and sean bed the engine in to what they think is best...

meatbag 20-11-2007 03:09 PM

heard this a few times now and i think more and more people are doing it.. personally i go half arsed on both methods, drive it with attitude but dont generally take it over 4500 rpm. as lon as its warmed up properly though i cant see it doing any damage