Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Heavy Clutch - Good, Bad, Too heavy, Broken Box?? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/16588-heavy-clutch-good-bad-too-heavy-broken-box.html)

JA50N 26-11-2007 04:41 PM

Heavy Clutch - Good, Bad, Too heavy, Broken Box??

Well, my clutch is coming to a end. It's heavy - feels like a single plate or 9 puk with a extra heavy pressure plate. (I've always had single/twin plates) in my cars, but I'm wondering what to put into my GC8?

I've heard the tale of clutch being too heavy, your going to break boxes. I'm thinking about a single plate with a lightened fly wheel. Anyone got a single plate or had one and had a good life with the box?

I'm upgrading my car just a bit, putting a TD06-25G, bigger injectors and a gate on and getting it re-tuned.

Does higher power mean heavier clutch? Anyone with idea's/tips/for/against, let me know :)

BALISTC 26-11-2007 04:48 PM

Keep a basic organic single plate clutch in there and you'll be fine. You can go with a Daikin STi clutch, which is just a stocker with a 17% heavier pressure plate, or something like an Exedy Sports Tuff.

Start going heavy single, twin or ceramic/brass puck clutches, and you will make more shards in your gearbox than in your crack pipe :)

Elrico 26-11-2007 04:48 PM

Most proberly a Heavy organic clutch would be sufficient. Softer on your gearbox but a heavy duty clutch. Flywheel will have to either be machined or changed, so may aswel get a new lightened one i spose.

Has anyone else heard of deadly lightened flywheels flying through floorpans or firewalls etc?

teejay 26-11-2007 04:48 PM

Ross at Autoclutch will do you a pretty decent setup for about 400 bucks, heavy enough to cope with the abuse I know you will dish out Jason ;)

However, still very driveable.

Thats what im going when this one gives up (so pretty soon)

If you dont like/trust/know him, go the Exeddy HD kit.

[quote]Has anyone else heard of deadly lightened flywheels flying through floorpans or firewalls etc?[/quote]

They usually only go like that when they are modified standard ones, Ie ones that have been machined down too far. Dont think Ive heard of it happening in a WRX, seen several RB powered cars do this with pretty harsh results.

More often then not big revs are involved!

wr0ng 26-11-2007 04:51 PM

bit of a n00b q but what would exedy hd cost approx?

teejay 26-11-2007 04:52 PM

Retails at about 600 bucks sans fitting.

Ross's 400 dollar setup is very similar for a fair whack less.

DarkMoose 26-11-2007 04:53 PM

Excedy Sports Organic, more than you will need, nice clutch that doesn't kill boxes but holds good power. Rather replace a clutch slightly more often than have to replace a gbox.

wr0ng 26-11-2007 04:53 PM

cheers

wr0ng 26-11-2007 04:54 PM

$100 fitted sound reasonable?

wr0ng 26-11-2007 04:55 PM

$1000 even! :eek: