Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   My car tried to kill me... with gas (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/1714-my-car-tried-kill-me-gas.html)

Pettata 06-10-2005 06:28 PM

My car tried to kill me... with gas

Driving home from work today and got this really overpowering smell in the car coming from the airconditioning vents. Opened the front windows and then blasted the fan onto full and out comes some smoke that partially fogged up the windscreen just above the outlet. The settings were on as cold can be (without the air con actually being turned on).

I did previously have a problem with the smell in the car, but not that overpowering and not with smoke. had taken it to a mechanic who at the time fixed the heater (pipes were clogged), but didn't fix the smell that was sometimes noticeable in the car. Assumed the smell came from the air-con gas but what could the cause of the smoke be? I need help here!!! and some sort of suggestion on how to fix it, or a good mechanic who actually knows what to do!

tuna 06-10-2005 06:52 PM

its normal,

the 'smoke' u see is condensation.

the smell is just the unsanitary conditions in your car.

Shinobiken 06-10-2005 07:14 PM

his car smells like engine coolant if that means anything.

pete, what did ya dad say about this?

Pettata 06-10-2005 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=tuna]its normal,

the 'smoke' u see is condensation.

the smell is just the unsanitary conditions in your car.[/QUOTE]you know... your not much help :cussing:

Pettata 06-10-2005 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=Shinobiken]his car smells like engine coolant if that means anything.

pete, what did ya dad say about this?[/QUOTE]I haven't bothered to tell him yet, pretty tired after a full day of work and full stomach... prolly sleep now till later

tuna 06-10-2005 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=Pettata]you know... your not much help :cussing:[/QUOTE]

yeh no probs.

how about the 'smoke' is steam, and that steam is hot coolant, and that coolant smells, and your heater core is knackered, and your previous mech. didnt bother to fix it.

just a guess :jerk:

adamh 06-10-2005 07:37 PM

Im no mechanic, i had this problem in a vastly different car. Coolant smelling steam/smoke pooring in the vents and fogged up the windscreen so badly i had to pull over.

I ignored it cos it only happened the once (and it was a shit car) and then its radiator hose exploded a few days later. It was overheating.

Like I said I'm no mechanic.

DarkMoose 06-10-2005 08:19 PM

No more compression sessions?

chee 06-10-2005 10:17 PM

stop having sessions whilst driving with the windows up :icon_weed

Pettata 06-10-2005 11:24 PM

I'm no mechanic either so i know crap-all about these sort of problems. Car doesn't give the signal that it's overheating. Wats the best place to get it fixed then? assuming it's the heater core and a normal mechanic can't fix it?

Jimmy S 07-10-2005 12:38 AM

Mine did the same thing when i bought it and the water pump was cooked so it was overheating! :(

207 de 07-10-2005 08:50 AM

[QUOTE=chee]stop having sessions whilst driving with the windows up :icon_weed[/QUOTE]

hahahaha......first smile for the day. :icon_rr:

Heidi 07-10-2005 09:00 AM

[QUOTE=tuna]yeh no probs.

how about the 'smoke' is steam, and that steam is hot coolant, and that coolant smells, and your heater core is knackered, and your previous mech. didnt bother to fix it.

just a guess :jerk:[/QUOTE]

I had the same thing in my old car. Twas the heater core. The condensation on the window also had a greenish tinge & the car stunk of coolant. Bastard of a job to change...good luck!

Heidi :D

BM747 07-10-2005 09:26 AM

Yeah no it has to do with the heater. I had this exact same problem after Tim Slako rebuilt my engine. He ended up bypassing the whole ehater system, which isnt so bad for me becuase i am in broome, and it doesnt get even remotely cold.

It wasnt worth fixing, but it may be for you

Pettata 07-10-2005 05:23 PM

I took it into a mechanic today and he bypassed the heater core... the reason why it was so forked up... previous owner(s) didn't change the coolant... left it too long and now it's badly corroded. Well tahts what the mechanic type guy said. He said it was a 2 day job to replace and bypassing took like 2 hours so i opted for bypassing until i can save a bit more money to replace the core. He quoted me $1300!!! :eek:

Pettata 07-10-2005 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=Heidi]I had the same thing in my old car. Twas the heater core. The condensation on the window also had a greenish tinge & the car stunk of coolant. Bastard of a job to change...good luck!

Heidi :D[/QUOTE]
How much did it cost you to change?

tuna 07-10-2005 05:53 PM

DIY it, its not hard if you buy a second hand core.

Pettata 08-10-2005 12:25 AM

[QUOTE=tuna]DIY it, its not hard if you buy a second hand core.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't even know where the core is... or what it looks like... just know you gotta remove a few parts to get to it. I only know how to check the water and oil. As i said... i'm no mechanic

creepin 08-10-2005 01:48 AM

yeh i have an old landcruiser that never gets driven
when i did drive it i put on the aircon and got covered in ants

seems it hadnt been drivn that long that the ants decided that the aircon vents would be a great place to buil a new nest.
shouldnt have bothered driving it and let them live in peace

tuna 08-10-2005 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=Pettata]I wouldn't even know where the core is... or what it looks like... just know you gotta remove a few parts to get to it. I only know how to check the water and oil. As i said... i'm no mechanic[/QUOTE]
i'll do it overnight & core supplied for a cut price of $1200 then :)

westoz 09-10-2005 12:17 AM

Blew a heater core hose in the L series a few years back... took nearly 2 hours to replace it myself, entirely by feel with a special screwdriver, coz the assembly is so tightly tucked up under the dash...

Mybaby2lt 14-10-2005 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=DarkMoose]No more compression sessions?[/QUOTE]
That sounds like a bad idea. :D