Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Engine cut out- what could it be (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/18290-engine-cut-out-what-could.html)

trainwrex 26-02-2008 08:52 AM

Engine cut out- what could it be

Hey guys, im running in my engine atm and on occasion when driving i loose all power and the car stalls. I then cant get the car started for a few minutes sometimes upto 10 mins.

Im running twin walbro intank fuel pumps..

What could this problem be any opinons?? Related to fuel pump??

Ive havent fixed my brant which can cause the car to cut out, could this be a problem also?? or is it more fuel pump related?

teejay 26-02-2008 09:00 AM

When you switch it to ignition, do the pumps prime?

If they do, then they arnt your issue I'd say.

trainwrex 26-02-2008 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=teejay]When you switch it to ignition, do the pumps prime?

If they do, then they arnt your issue I'd say.[/QUOTE]

hmm sometimes they do and sometimes they dont.. Could the brant prevent any priming from occuring??

I think im going to book my car into subaru to see if this corrects the problem..

BALISTC 26-02-2008 09:27 AM

Check your fuel pump relay.

How have you got the pumps wired up? Are they both wired into the original wiring?

Elrico 26-02-2008 09:28 AM

Hmmm it sounds like brant if its shutting down mid stride. I know on a recent c/vale cruise Cronik 2k's bugeye shutdown whilst driving, lost all power, headlights went off, car just stopped. Id be getting that checked first.

trainwrex 26-02-2008 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Check your fuel pump relay.

How have you got the pumps wired up? Are they both wired into the original wiring?[/QUOTE]

Joe they came with a kit to join both pumps together asfaik they are both wired into the orignal wiring.

How can i check my fuel pump relay???

Elrico 26-02-2008 09:39 AM

Listen for the click, after they prime? :/ That should indicate that its pulling itself in when it is sposed to.

trainwrex 26-02-2008 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=Sphoolin]Listen for the click, after they prime? :/ That should indicate that its pulling itself in when it is sposed to.[/QUOTE]

Yeh but its intermittent, thats the problem dosent happen all the time..

BALISTC 26-02-2008 09:41 AM

You should be able to hear it clicking when you turn the ignition on and off.

If you can't then its the relay. If you can, and the pumps don't prime, then its the pumps or wiring.

Walbro pumps and Link ECU's used to have this issue, where they would cut out at random. The problem was related to the fuel pump controller not being run correctly by the ECU i.e. it would run the pumps at the higher speed (instead of the three speeds that the factory ECU uses) and overheats the controller.

If your running two pumps at the higher speed off the controller, then I can definitely see an issue arising from that.

trainwrex 26-02-2008 09:45 AM

^^^^^

hmmm so could it be an intermittent thing?? What is the solution to fix it??