Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Noisy Struts (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/19429-noisy-struts.html)

ImPreSiV 28-04-2008 01:18 PM

Noisy Struts

Hey, thort I would post this question to the masses. I did a search and found some info, but I wanted to see if I had any other options.

My rear strut's are making a knocking noise, and Wilko's have diagnosed it has being a loose guide inside the strut. It's not causing any problem's but it will eventually wear away at the teflon inside the strut, and they will start to stick.

Now, from what I have read, this is a common problem, and the strut's are a closed unit and can not be serviced. Also, it is of my understanding that you can not put "lowered inserts" into the STi's for some reason.

Obviously, I wanna fix this up without forking out $1000 to fix it (second hand WRX struts = $150ish, then $760 for Koni Inserts) coz for that kinda money, I can just throw some HSD's in.

So I was wondering what other options do i have. I read Tode had this problem, or similar before, and he said Teflon spray fixes it, but I don't quite understand how he means?

Also, would Spec C strut's work for me (keeping in mind 02's did not have the inverted struts/springs) I don't really wanna have to buy a new set of rear whiteline's either if i can avoid doing it...

so im just after some suggestions from the guru's!

Thanks
Kym

waxdass 28-04-2008 01:20 PM

teflon spray or WD40, just spray it on the strut where the rubber /plastic protector is..

fixes the problem for a few months at least...

Mister Two 28-04-2008 01:39 PM

STi inverted struts can be somewhat pulled apart and regreased

Pull the strut out of the car and remove the spring. Then undo the nut at the bottom of the strut. Then the inverted shock absorber can be pulled out of the strut body. Then you clear out ALL of crappy OEM grease and replace it with some Castrol Lithium based grease. Then reassemble and reinstall strut into car.

If you do it all yourself, it'll probably cost less than $20 for the grease.

Theres a DIY on Rexnet. I'll see if I can find it

ImPreSiV 28-04-2008 01:41 PM

did u miss the part where i said I don't have inverted struts (my02 STi)

Mister Two 28-04-2008 01:49 PM

ghey. you could get a set of replacement STI struts for around $600 for all 4

ImPreSiV 28-04-2008 01:53 PM

and then the problem happens again? and $600, might as well spend the other $600 for HSD's. I already spent $700 lowering the car and putting a Roll Centre Kit thru.

Thodd 28-04-2008 01:55 PM

HSD's would be the go Kym.

Although with the offset of the 02 STI rims, they can only go so low before they rub on the strut.

Mister Two 28-04-2008 01:58 PM

nah.

I got a set of STI inverted struts coming over from Japan from an JDM 04 STI. They are already sold. but being inverted, you could regrease the strut before it goes into the car. Then no problems.

OR

Katos looking at getting rid of his Arai Tuned STI struts. When/If he goes to coilovers, buy them off him. They are a great setup and are dampening adjustable. Then you could sell off your good front struts for a couple hundred and whatever the springs are worth too.

BALISTC 28-04-2008 01:59 PM

Definitely go the HSD, or Kato's STi Arai struts if you want to keep your springs.

vyper 28-04-2008 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV]did u miss the part where i said I don't have inverted struts (my02 STi)[/QUOTE]

Misread obviously - He's only trying to help mate.

ImPreSiV 28-04-2008 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=Thodd]HSD's would be the go Kym.

Although with the offset of the 02 STI rims, they can only go so low before they rub on the strut.[/QUOTE]

yeah Joe said that was a problem with the HSD's and the 02sti offset. But then again, my car isnt that low really (not sure how low it is compared to yours, or how low yours could go, if its not at its lowest)

So, if Kato sell's up, are his strut's non inverted and fit an 02sti. I don't wanna dick around with the shit i did last time, when i was told that my03sti strut's would fit into my 02 sti (inverted vs non inverted)

Luca, Ludwig is thick skinned, he knows i was being sarcastic. I know he knows his stuff (googles) so i take anything he says on board ;)

BN01 28-04-2008 02:32 PM

From my observations at REXPO, i'd suggest Thodds car is slightly lower than yours Kym.

Mister Two 28-04-2008 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=vyper]Misread obviously - He's only trying to help mate.[/QUOTE]

My fault. I often just skim through threads and miss the occasional bit of info.

Kato's rear struts will go into your car Kym, but I think you'll need to use your current springs and top hats. I don't remember if the strut top bolt pattern is the same between Peanut and bugeye. The peanuts onwards use a tapered rear spring and different top hat design. If you do use Kato's gear you'd better off using the whole lot front and rear because the Arai stuff has different adjustable dampening rates and you'll want to keep the car balanced. And then selling whatever is left over from your current setup.

vyper 28-04-2008 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV]
Luca, Ludwig is thick skinned, he knows i was being sarcastic. I know he knows his stuff (googles) so i take anything he says on board ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm not thick in all areas, but how bout some man <3 ? :D

Kato 28-04-2008 02:40 PM

My struts aint cheap :D But they are better than stockies...

Chrus 28-04-2008 03:07 PM

turn the doof doof up kym, that will lesser the creaking noise in your struts... :D

ps: if you need replacements, i have a set in the garage...not free mind you :p

ImPreSiV 28-04-2008 03:31 PM

chrus, strut's in good nick??? might hit u up for them... PM me ur price.

nauli 29-04-2008 08:00 AM

[QUOTE=waxdass]teflon spray or WD40, just spray it on the strut where the rubber /plastic protector is..

fixes the problem for a few months at least...[/QUOTE]
Do NOT spray WD40 (or similar) on them...

Intra 29-04-2008 08:23 AM

If you are going to get the job done right..

a) send it back to the factory to be revalved and serviced.
b) get a set of spec C struts and sti lowering springs
c) go your HSD coilover solution
d) go a set of GDB STI struts ( i think i have a set hangin around )

BALISTC 29-04-2008 08:30 AM

Kym, you've already spent the dollars on Whiteline springs...so unless you want the height adjustability, go with a nice set of struts. You can even get Koni inserts if you want to, or KYB AGX's, or those STi Arai struts if John is willing to sell.

If you wanna go dumped, get the HSD's.

DarkMoose 29-04-2008 12:02 PM

Just go the hsd's and get it over and done with kym, i'll be doing the same when the mrs stops leeching money out of my bank account.

Chrus 29-04-2008 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=DarkMoose]Just go the hsd's and get it over and done with kym, i'll be doing the same when the mrs stops leeching money out of my bank account.[/QUOTE]
x2 on this one Kum - HSD's are excellent value and are a great product. You wont regret it at all. Just move those snotty springs on, get the coilys in and dump the car :p

RUSSGT 29-04-2008 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=nauli]Do NOT spray WD40 (or similar) on them...[/QUOTE]
What do you sugest then?

My 06Sti rear struts are making the same knocking noise. Very annoying!!

jEstEr? 29-04-2008 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT]What do you sugest then?

My 06Sti rear struts are making the same knocking noise. Very annoying!![/QUOTE]

warranty? :D

nauli 29-04-2008 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT]What do you sugest then?

My 06Sti rear struts are making the same knocking noise. Very annoying!![/QUOTE]
Like Matty says...warranty.

BOMB3R 29-04-2008 04:11 PM

Kym if your going to be spending $600+ for new struts, spend the little extra and get HSD's. After you sell your springs there won't be much difference in overall cost and the little extra cost there is would be well worth it.

waxdass 29-04-2008 04:14 PM

teflon based spray for a quick easy fix if u cbf forking out right now.

Elrico 29-04-2008 04:18 PM

Yeah may aswel just sort it all out and get the coilies dude. No more beating around the bush trying to diagnose stuff that cant be repaired. I cant even get people to move my ride up or down she is that solid lol! I love them, and they already got me int rouble with the 5-0, but never mind, c spanners fixed that problem!

Jimmy S 29-04-2008 04:52 PM

+15 for HSD's...

I had the same issue with my MY05 struts, swapped them out for MY06 STi struts fixed the problem... but I will be going HSD's as soon as the bank account recovers from the upcoming Euro-Trip with the wife!

RUSSGT 30-04-2008 08:07 AM

I would warranty if i had the rest of the 06 sti but i got a foz with the sti struts. How do you sugest to fix them?

Mister Two 30-04-2008 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT]I would warranty if i had the rest of the 06 sti but i got a foz with the sti struts. How do you sugest to fix them?[/QUOTE]

Seeing as yours are definitely inverted STI struts... This is how you fix them...

Courtesy of rexnet

Use Castrol Lithium based grease as the replacement

[QUOTE]
I thought i would put together a DIY for those that are interested in repairing the rear struts or known knocking noise they make.

[b]WARNING : DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IS YOU ARE AFRAID TO GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY[/b] :lol: :lol:

This was carried out on an 02 STi

[b]Tools Needed :-[/b]

19mm Ring Spanner x 2
12mm ring spanner
Hammer
Screwdriver
1/2" Drive socket set.
Trolley Jack and [b]Jack stands[/b]
(If running whiteline rear camber bolts 1 x 11/16 spanner and 1 x 15mm spanner is needed for these bolts)

Reccommend using impact driver for the rear strut bolts and a 90deg impact wrench if you have one for the strut tops.
[b]Step 1.[/b]

Remove rear seat buy removing 2 12mm bolts that hold the bottom seat in. Follow this by removing the 4 12mm bolts tat hold the top section of the seat in.

[b]Step 2.[/b]

Jack the car and place Jack stands under the body of the car. [b]Make sure they are under a good mounting point as fully support the car once jacked up.[/b]
Lower the jack to allow the jack stands to take the weight. Leave the jack under to act as a back up if the stands fail.

[b]Step 3.[/b]

Remove the wheels and move out of the way.

[b]Step 4.[/b]

Using a 14mm socket, remove the seat belt tensioner from the body of the car. Best to pull some slack on the belt to allow it to be removed from the pocket above the strut top.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/bmh-255/IMG_1485.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 5.[/b]

Using a 12mm socket, remove the 3 top hat nuts from the strut tower. Make sure you mark the position of the top hats (they normally have a stamped arrow in them stating which side faces out)

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/bmh-255/IMG_1488.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 6.[/b]

Remove the brake line clip holding the brake line to the strut buy using a hammer and a screw driver to tap the clip up and out.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/bmh-255/IMG_1490.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 7.[/b]

Mark the camber bolts (if used to their starting position) If not using camber bolts, then carry on removing the strut lower bolts.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/bmh-255/IMG_1489.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 8.[/b]

Once you have removed the 2 lower bolts, remove the strut assembly from the tower and place away from the car.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/bmh-255/IMG_1491.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 9.[/b]

Remove the top hat nut using a 17mm socket. Remove the spring from the strut.

Now turn the strut upside down, and remove the 14mm nut holding the inverted strut in the tube.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/bmh-255/IMG_1492.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 10.[/b]

Now slide the strut out of the tube and place on the ground on a rag as not to damage the shaft.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/bmh-255/IMG_1493.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 11.[/b]

Look down the strut tube and see the yellow greese inside. Using your finger (or someone elses if you afraid to get them dirty :lol: ) and scoop out the grease inside. You will need to get a fair way down, so a bi screwdriver helps get to the deeper section. After you have got as much out as possible, push a rag inside and turn it about to remove the remaining grease.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/bmh-255/IMG_1496.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 12.[/b]

Using a quality grease, refill the section of the strut tube that you just removed the grease out of. Making sure you only fill the machined out sections inside the tube.

[b]Step 13.[/b]

Replace the strut into the tube and clean up any excess grase from the strut.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/bmh-255/IMG_1498.jpg[/img]

[b]Step 14.[/b]

Now reverse the prcess that you used to dismantle the strut and spring.

Tighten the 14mm nut onto the bottom of the strut. Place the spring and top hat back onto the stru, making sure you place the top hat back into the right position with the arrow facing outwards and tigten the 17mm nut.

[b]Step 15.[/b]

Push the strut back up into the tower and push through the holes in the top. Slide the bottom bolt of the strut back into the hole followed by the top bolt.

[b]Step 16.[/b]

Replace and tighten up the 3 strut top bolts and tension.

[b]Step 17.[/b]

Place the nuts back onto the lower strut where it meets the hub and tighten. Remember to reposition the camber bolt if used to the previously marked position.

[b]Step 18.
[/b]
Re attach the brake line to the car, and re-install the retaining clip.

Recheck all nuts and volts for tightness before moving to the other side of the car.

[b]Step 19.[/b]

Replace the seat belt tensioner and retaining bolt.

[b]Step 20.[/b]

Repeat these procedures on the other strut assembly now.

[b]Step 21.[/b]

[b]Do a final inspection of all nuts bolts and make sure no parts are laying around spare.[/b]

Place wheels back on car and remove jack stands and ower the car down.

Job Complete.

I may have forgotton something here im sure.

Any questions feel free to ask.

This took me about 1hr to complete. If your handy with a spanner, you will have no worries.

[b]For those that attempt it, remember, its not a race, double check all components and make sure you are happy with everthing before you attempt to drive your car.[/b]

[/quote]