Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   thinking about getting a chip in my WRX (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/19467-thinking-about-getting-chip-my-wrx.html)

fsk 30-04-2008 09:33 AM

thinking about getting a chip in my WRX

ive got a my05 wrx and i want it to be a littlebit faster, its 178kw @stock(i think..?) and ive got an exhaust so i think it would be about 185-190kw hopefully..

i dont know the first thing about mod's really so i was wondering whats a good chip to get , how much it would cost(hopefully about 1500) and how much benefit i would get out of it..

another thing is would it void my subaru warranty..they gave me a 21 month warranty of which i still have 20 months left.

if theres a better way to add power to my car that doesnt hurt my wararnty then im all ears.

sorry for being so vague, any advice would be appreciated.

nauli 30-04-2008 09:46 AM

You could get a VersoTek tune..... Maximum Allstar Torque could do it for you :D

Kato 30-04-2008 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=nauli]You could get a VersoTek tune..... Maximum Allstar Torque could do it for you :D[/QUOTE]

Hahahhaa

^^ WHS.

Without nitpicking, warranty will be void.

P.S. The factory quoted figures are at the engine, all the figures you will be quoted and read on here are at the wheels. I think a stock rex will put out about 120kW at the wheels.

A Verso retune on a stock 05 with an exhaust should net around 40-50 more kW.

Intra 30-04-2008 09:58 AM

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1296&highlight=tuners[/url]

Might be a good start.

1. Find a workshop you wish to deal with
2. Ask them what they recommend

Basically if you decide to play, be prepared to pay.

Dealers are not in the business of giving money away, after all they need to put food on the table too.

I highly doubt they would warranty any form of ecu enhancement to your vehicle for the simple fact that it will be running out of approved factory specification for the Australian market to make more power/torque.

MKVIGTI 30-04-2008 12:10 PM

If your worried about the warranty then don't go changing parts but go right ahead and get the ecu re-flashed ECUTek ( what I am running ) or Verso.

A decent tune will make the car much more enjoyable to drive and decent amount quicker.

More than likely Subaru will never know and when the warranty runs out and you decide you want more ( and you will ) change a few bits and the re tune to suit will be fairly cheap. ( Race Torque now only charge a fairly reasonable hourly rate for any updates to my tune and rarely takes more than an hour )

mr_psi 30-04-2008 12:19 PM

you will find alot of information on this forum if your search "verso"

go get em bud!

ryandarcy 30-04-2008 06:17 PM

subaru won't know about a retune unless you tell them and i am +1 for ecutek is what i am running and very happy with it.

BOMB3R 30-04-2008 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=nauli]You could get a VersoTek tune..... Maximum Allstar Torque could do it for you :D[/QUOTE]
LOL We haven't had one of these thread in yonks! Maximum AllStar Torque whereabouts are they? They sound cool? Could you imagine all 3 tuning the same car at the same time ROFL!

Search is your friend mate. This is one topic you won't find a lack of information on.

P.S I run not EcuTek but there is nothing wrong with EcuTek unless your me.

Elrico 30-04-2008 10:17 PM

There are more options out there for tuning then many know what to poke a stick at.

Link,
PowerFC,
Motec,
Autronics,
Wolf,
EcuTek,
I even believe G-reddy does one.

You dont have to go with one particular one because we say so. Like it has been stated before most ECU's have their advantages over another in certain ways but its only going to be as good as the tuner can tune it.

Maybe ring a few tuning shops aswel!

mattk82 01-05-2008 10:31 PM

I'm a +1 for Ecutek ;P
I had Lane @ Race Torque Re-tune my car after Maximum MS (from the previous owner) installed it. Now my MY01 has 175.5kW ATW (155 before) on a Mainline Dyno and rides a lot better than before (no savage boost spike).
But hey different strokes for different folks...

:)